Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: german stalking rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Yes sir that was the first thing I checked and it is indeed marked for the 8.15x46R. As far as the bore diameter it is what it is. Luckily I can shoot it the way it is and decide later on what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket but check the proof marks which are normally stamped on the underside of the barrel. You will have to remove the forend. I'm almost positive you will find the German markings for when it was a 8.15x46r rimmed cartridge. The 8.15x46r usually takes a bullet .321 or slightly larger. When you mentioned the .313 bore diameter that is what led me to post this. Frank

Boolit Master
    Tim, such a small bore diameter for what was a 8.15x46r curious that. But kinda glad as there are a lot of cast bullets that should fit that .313 bore. Frank

Boolit Master

Makes me wonder if the barrel has been re-lined? Some gunsmiths can do a really neat job and make it hard to see you have to look really close it see the liner?

RB

Boolit Master
    I think it is unlikely that it was relined. If it was done for the Krag conversion, why not line it for .308 bullets? Parker-Hale made liners for the .303, but that was a practice confined to the UK, and if one was used, .303 would be the logical cartridge to use. Other than the .32-20 and various pistol cartridges, I don't know of any German or American cartridge well suited to the .313 groove diameter, and I think off-the-peg liners for .32-20 are a relatively recent arrival in the marketplace.

I think this is probably the original bore, and intended for the 8.15x46R. I've consulted the 1904 DWM catalogue, a most impressive graveyard of cartridges which haven't made it into any modern reference book. It doesn't, unfortunately, give shoulder diameters or length to shoulder. I think the 8.15x46R is their case number 455, which they describe as "Deutsche Schützen Kal. 8mm.", with 8.2mm. inside neck diameter, 46.7 overall case length, 10.75mm. head and 12.3mm rim.

The bullet they specifically link to the 455 case is illustrated with the number 246A, and diameter described as "(8.22) 8.45". I interpret this as meaning that this cartridge was produced with both a heel and an inside lubricated bullet, and 246 is the other one. Nevertheless I think they were intended to be squeezed through a bore as you describe. They are lead bullets with rather large lube grooves. I doubt if there would be a way of making it work well with jacketed bullets, but then why would you need to?

In your place I would want to make this rifle shoot with the original bore and a bullet close to groove diameter, and eventually a cartridge, even one of my own devising, more in keeping with this style of rifle than the Krag. The barrel may be chopper lump, i.e. with the lumps or underlugs integral with the barrel. More likely they are dovetailed and brazed or silver soldered in place. Either way a fairly low melting-point silver solder, such as Brownells 355 which comes in thin ribbon form, would secure a chamber bushing with ample strength. If you want to avoid limited-production (and perhaps unreliable-production) brass, you could use .38-55 with a straight freebore to keep the bullet aligned before it encounters the rifling where the Krag conversion left it. Weatherby do that just to slow down the pressure buildup, and there is a world of difference between that and a throat which has simply eroded longer than specification.

Boolit Master
    The critical piece of missing info is the words of someone who has shot this rifle. Has the rifle been shot with factory 30-40 Krag ammo. Even better might be talking with the Gunsmith who made the conversion. 30-40 Krag is a high pressure cartridge but lower pressure than more modern cargridges and that combined with the mismatch of the bore to bullet diameter might prevent damage to the gun from factory ammo.

On handloads, I would be wary of groove diameter jacketed or cast bullets as they would probably jam in a too tight neck. You probably could get away with .311 diameter bullets (loaded to starting load pressures or less) but I would measure my fired brass or do a chamber cast or pound cast of the neck and throat.

A custom or modified mold to make outside lubed rebated bullets a thousandth or two over groove diameter is the way I would go. If the throat is too short for that, there are still more tricks like shortening the neck on the brass or reaming the throat.

The existing chamber can be made to shoot well and it you were really worried about pressures you could stick with black powder and beat 32-40 ballistics. Have you measured the twist?

While it would be more trouble than I would go too, you could breach seat bullets and adjust the case neck length to match the location of the base of the seated bullet.

Regarding brass availability, I have use .303 British in Krag chambers, they end up being a tad short but in your gun that might be a good thing. I think the most dangerous thing that you could do would be to fire .303 factory ammo in that gun as the larger bullet diameter might make pressures too high for the action.

I think that that gun is too dangerous for anyone but me and you need to send it to me right away

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    I made a good chamber cast and it has a long throat so I don't foresee any issue with shooting it with proper diameter cast bullets. I did purchase the rifle from a deceased gunsmith estate and it was one of his personal rifles. I question if I should deal with this or pass it along and let the next guy have fun with it.

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry to hear that people are causing you to doubt this gun. My opinion is you should get a 200 grain mold intended for the 303 British. The mold will probably drop 0.313" bullets, or maybe even slightly larger. Load them with 30-40 Krag data for 180 grain jacketed bullets using H4895, getting data from here:

https://www.hodgdon.com/

after having reduced loads according to the information here:

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20...le%20Loads.pdf

Work up to around 1600 - 1800 fps, and you will have a rifle to be proud of for life.

Take care, Tom

Bore diameters run a large gamut of diameters for the 8.15x46R. Yes, the .313" bore is smaller than what's usually found on an 8.15x46R, but not out of the question. I've owned several, and slugged many more for friends working up loads for the caliber, and found most run in the .315" to .321" sizes. I consider .321" as strange myself, as I see most around .316"-.317" amongst those I've slugged. All three of mine were in this range.
    Regardless of what the bore size is, it really doesn't matter now. The .313" bore for a .30 Krag is a good one, and it should be a really fun gun to use for either plinking or hunting.

Boolit Master
    probably safer than most Krags...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    I made a good chamber cast and it has a long throat so I don't foresee any issue with shooting it with proper diameter cast bullets. I did purchase the rifle from a deceased gunsmith estate and it was one of his personal rifles. I question if I should deal with this or pass it along and let the next guy have fun with it.
    It is quite a good idea to doubt this rifle, up to the point of avoiding standard Krag pressures. I think the odds are on this rifle standing it perfectly well, but from the point of view both of safety and conserving a rare and excellent rifle, odds-on is less than you want.

Even for reduced loads it is diameter of neck that counts. It might be that whoever did the work has given it a larger than standard neck, but the SAAMI specification only guarantees less than one thousandth of clearance, and a maximum chamber .002 more. Still it is a 19th century military rifle, and I think the chances are that a standard Krag reamer would give enough to accommodate .313 bullets. I would not go larger just because the 8.15x46R often did. You don't have the 8.15x46R neck any more, and just about any bullet material can run up pressures if the neck is clamped onto it by the chamber. You should check for eay chambering any time you start using a new bullet.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc...-40%20Krag.pdf

A lighter bullet is a good way of keeping the pressure down. Besides, there is a good chance that this rifle was given a rifling twist too slow for 200gr., especially at reduced velocity. Velocity doesn't make a huge difference to the twist a bullet needs, but it makes some. The long throat may just be what the reamer had to accommodate the 220gr. military bullet, for although it doesn't look long on the SAAMI drawing, you will be comparing it with what you see on more modern rifles, and from some five inches nearer. I don't believe any Lee-Enfield, except maybe nearly-modern target barrels, was throated for less than the 19th century 215gr., and yet plenty of people have had quite good accuracy with 150gr. or even less.

I'd agree that if you have .303 rounds, you must segregate them carefully, for they give considerably higher pressure than the .30-40. It was quite common for Canadian shooters to use them in .30-40 rifles, but a lot of them would have been the 1895 Winchester.

Boolit Master
    That is a pretty nice kiplauf you have there. (Translation: kiplauf= tilt up) I have a couple kiplaufs and find myself reaching for one of them more often than not anymore. One is a 5.6x35R, and the other is an 8.15x46R lined to .25 and chambered in .25-20. I keep my eyes peeled for a deer-friendly kiplauf...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12