RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the 7mm Mauser?

Banned

What happened to the 7mm Mauser?

Just for fun I started looking for a new rifle chambered in 7mm Mauser (7 x 57). The only new production rifle I could find in that chambering was the Ruger #1 and even that was a Lipsey special run, which is a LOT of money.

OK, I know that the ballistics of the fine old 7mm Mauser can be bested by newer designs but that's not the point. The cartridge has an incredible history, has the demand become so low that manufacturers have abandoned it?
    Did the .308 Win and 7mm-08 kill it off ?

Moderator Emeritus

Gunwriters flaunt the new stuff. In a modern rifle it is amazingly accurate, powerful and efficient. Mfg's and corporations have designers that are on salary and they showcase their products. When you make short mags and are the only mfg to sell the ammo your bottom line looks better. Some also worry about the model 88 and 91's still out there.
    I have not seen reloadable brass sold for several years but would not give up mine. Keep looking.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have numerous "Original" 7 x 57 in the Gun safe. Love them. Wish that Starline or someone else would produce a special or permanent run on 7 x 57 brass (6.5 x 55 too!). I have some on hand, but quantity is diminishing over time as I cull out the worn out cases. Last week I looked at some dusty boxes of 7 x 57 on the shelf at one store; $52.00 for a box of 20 was too rich for my blood.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Shoot a old rolling block in 7mm, some will argue it is not the same, but I still need 7x57 brass. Finally found a 7x57 form and trim die to make brass from the 30-06 family of cases. Love shooting it with cast.

In Remembrance

Back in the 1990`s I had the yearn for a 7 Mauser. I found a poorly sportered Mauser 98. A new Shaw 7 Mauser barrel fitted and some action work with a Timney trigger was then bedded in a Boyd`s walnut stock. Drilled and tapped for scope saw a Leupold 2x7X scope on it. Thus far I stopped working on loads when I saw what it did with Nosler 140 Gr. Ballistic tip bullets with a Max load of a Hodgon powder. I should try a cast load in it, but enjoy the accuracy and range I get with it at present. I`ve never looked back on doing this rifle as it has become 1 of my `go to` rifles.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

There was just an article on the 7mm Mauser in Shooting Times. It is a good cartridge, I have 2 of the Spanish 1893 Mauser that were bubba jobs. I installed Adams & Bennett barrels in 7mm Mauser and put 1 in a right hand Boyd's stock, the other in a left hand Boyd's stock. I have carried them on elk hunts but did not get an opportunity to shoot one with them. Still fun to shoot and easy to load for.
    The old 1893, 1895 Mausers and the old rolling blocks require lower pressure than a Modern rifle but will still get the job done.
    I also have an Encore 24" barrel in 7mm-08 and ballistics are similar, but recoil and muzzle blast are sharper so not as much fun to shoot. I don't believe the 7mm Mauser will ever die out completely.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight in 7x57. I bought it new back in 1986 when I was 17. Great rifle..

Boolit Master
    Gun companies are all about selling a new gun in a new caliber. They will point out how the new 7mm APFSDSDU round is so much better at killing deer than the ancient 7mm mauser. Because we all know deer sit around discussing such things.

But I doubt there is a whole lot of demand to justify Ruger etc chambering new production rifles in 7mm mauser. And 7x57 ammo is not near as easy to find as 308 or more modern 7mm rifles. Sort of self fulfilling prophecy, lack of ammo suppresses demand for rifles, and since there are fewer rifles, they make less ammo.

Best bet is something like a savage axis, and swap the barrel for a 7x57.

Boolit Buddy
    Graf & Sons has Lapua brass in Stock.

7X57 $84/100

6.5X55 $88/100

Arguably the best deer cartridge ever. A balanced round. Hard looking might find a new Tikka or CZ but you'll probably find a used 77 Ruger, 70 fwt Win, or a Rem 700 Classic easier. Contrary to a previous post it was not chambered in 1888 Commission or 1891 Mauser rifles. A Yugo 48 would be a great home for it in a custom build. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

you guys that cant find brass, just buy PPU ammo from some place like aim surplus. under $15 a box for blasting ammo with good brass.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The real "fault" of the 7x57 is that it doesn't fit.
    It is too long for a short action and almost too short in a long action .
    When you build 1 in a long action if the bullet will stay in the case from the mag well to the chamber shoulder that can be your OAL . The standard twist at 8.5 doesn't help either . The 7mm 08 will do everything it does in a 308 case and short action . A 280 Rem will match numbers with an 06' and use all of the action .

Virtues ? The 7x57 aka 276 Rigby has killed pack rats and elephants so it ought to be good enough for most of North America. It shoots all the current standard commercial 30 cal weights with a higher BC . While it can be loaded hotter than the OM 48 kpsi ,why . At 300 yd the 154 7mm and 150 gr 30 cal launched at 2500 and 2800 are all but neck and neck . The low pressure reduces muzzle bark and there's less powder to burn in the same bbl length . It has a nice long neck for cast . In the older rifles you have 29" of GI bbl to push a slow powder .

My first rifle was a Chilean M95 cock on closing .
    I have a special place for the old 7x57 . As a matter of fact I have a 1913 DWM Gew 98 that really needs that Jeager trigger to trip a nice 24" bbl marked 276 Rigby or was it 278 ...... Either way the 7x57 is a classic and will continue to hang on for a while even with out new rifles being made . Most of the bbl makers and all of the reamer makers offer a bbl, reamers and an AI as of last yr .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

275 Rigby aka 7x57 That Bell guy seemed to like it
    Charter Member #148

I have a 7x57 in an Interarms Mark X 98 Mauser that is probably up near the top of my favorite rifles..I load with Lee Collet dies and it's just a real pleasure to shoot. I have a Nikon 3x9 scope on it now and for me that is a perfect fit.... It and my 25-06 custom run about the same on the 'hit parade" of favorites and I got some dandy loads worked up for both....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	180890

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	180892

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a plethora of deer rifles and included in that plethora is a Ruger MKII chambered to the 7x57. I have bullets to load for mine in weights from 115 gr, 120 gr, 130 gr, 140 gr, 145 gr, 150 gr, 154 gr and the big old nasty 175 gr RN. My favorite for deer has turned out to be the 130 gr Speer Hot Core. When loaded to 2850 fps in my Ruger it shows no loss to the 270 Win loaded with a 130 gr at 3000 fps. It just works and works well. My Ruger shoots the 130 gr Speer just fine but it may not have the long throat of many military 7x57's. I put a Boyd's stock on it and shortened it to fit my short stout frame. It's my cold weather deer rifle that fits me with cumbersome winter wear garments. When hitting a deer with that 130 gr Speer Hot Core it's lights out and gutting time.
    358 Win

Boolit Master

The biggest problem with the 7x57 is that it is a great cartridge but OLD. Kind of like the .257 Roberts,,,OLD but very very effective. The gun writers have to have something new to talk about so they focus on all the new cartridges coming out.
    I have 3 rifles in 7x57 and if I every see another on the used gun shelf I would buy it. I think it is a great cartridge.

the brass is out there
    I have converted both 270 and -06 cases to the 7x57
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned
    I've played with the 7 x 57 on and off over the years and always liked the cartridge. Many years ago I narrowed my rifle calibers down and the 7 x 57 went away along with the dies and related stuff.
    Recently I picked up a Brazilian Mauser in 7mm and I like the rifle in general but it's just not a good shooter. I put a Lyman sight on it and cleaned that old barrel to within an inch of its life and it just doesn't have anything left to give.

I thought about re-barreling that Mauser 98 action but I'm not sure I want to do that.

I went looking for new 7mm Mausers just to get some idea of the availability and found out that it is practically nil. This is unfortunate because the cartridge does have a lot to offer.

I totally agree with Harter66 - the 7mm Mauser is too long for a short action and too short for a long action. Most of them end up in long actions by default. Sako made medium length actions for a while and I think there were some other manufacturers that made medium actions suitable for the 7mm Mauser.

This isn't a pressing need for me and it will likely stay on the back burner but it's a shame this fine old cartridge has been left behind.

I've had several 7X57 rifles over the years. My first was a Ruger#1A that was a tackdriver. Like an idiot, I let someone talk me out of it. Have had several since, one of my favorites. My current 7X57 is a Ruger 77MKII, and it's not going anywhere. Actually had 2 of them, sold one and kept the better one.
    I've shot jacketed and cast in it. Loves the RCBS 168, cast out of ACWW, weighs around 175gr. Just for kicks this year, I wanted to see how far I could push it using WDWW. When I got up to over 2400fps, and still grouping well, I figured I'd proved what I wanted to. 175gr bullet @ 2400fps is original ballistics for the cartridge, what made it famous as a hunting cartridge all over the world.
    Just a great old round.
    The other day I was in Sportmans Warehouse and saw that Hornady makes 7X57 brass. Well, kinda, they make .275 Rigby brass. Laughed when I saw it. Wonder how well that's selling....
    Last edited by Toolmaker TN; 11-17-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I liked the caliber so much I converted a Garand to shoot it...I call it the Heretic. Sweetest shooting Garand I've ever fired...I'll give full credit to the quality of the Barnett Barrel and adjustable gas port allowing me to tune the load for the rifle. The cartridge in a Garand is long enough to not need a spacer block like the 308Win conversions and the perceived or felt recoil with a 154gr Hornady SST is still lighter than an equivalent M2 30-06 bullet.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I love my 7x57 Rem mountain rifle. Great blend of weight and power.

Mike

Name:	PB040090_zps6354601f.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	180904

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast