MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Buffer weight % addition

Boolit Buddy

Buffer weight % addition

Working with AR 10 that is too rough on brass. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for what percent of buffer weight to increase as a starting point. Looking at 10% increase but not sure how sensitive system like this is now the buffer is 1991.4 grains.

Not to sure with the AR10's but with the 15's you have two ways to deal with this. Heavier buffer or adjustable gas block to turn down the gas. You will have to choose which is right for you. I went with adjusting the gas down to reduce reciprocating mass.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

heavier buffer spring, heavier buffer, and adjustable gas block. i'd opt for the adjustable gas block, but a new spring is probably the cheapest option.

Heavier spring might result in some bolt bounce.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

AR 10 that is too rough on brass Dinged necks, bolt scrapes or tearing the rim?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Production guns tend to be overgassed. Solves any issues with questionable ammo for the majority of owners. Adjustable gas block is probably the best thing to try.

I have never seen any sort of rules on buffers. I went searching for answers when I put together an AR15, I have a lathe maybe make my own buffer. But never really found any answers as to do this or do that. I would imagine the AR10 has the same sliding weights in it as an AR15. The options seem to be Tungsten powder, or swapping the weights. Powder you can fine tune it, the weights it goes in steps as there is no in between weights. Its 3 steel weight or 2 steel and a tungsten, etc.

I simply put a rifle stock and buffer on my carbine to get what I wanted. But I dont like the collapsing M4 stock to begin with and not paying for a good magpul.

Boolit Buddy
    Popper, it would ding the neck and put a big dent at the shoulder line. I have found a source of information on this for anyone interested. A web site for heavybuffers.com has the weights for the various upgrades for the various companies. That is their primary business. For the LAR8 with fal inch mags, they have a 9 oz buffer. Mine as is approximately 4.8 oz. This helps explain the case damage and the line of brass on the deflector.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    I have found a source of information on this for anyone interested. A web site for heavybuffers.com has the weights for the various upgrades for the various companies.
    Thanks for the link.

Boolit Buddy
    My ar-15 was doing the same thing, necks flatten and dings in the shoulder. I cut two coils off of the ejector spring and the problem was solved.

Glue some padding on the deflector. BO is really bad about this.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Or you might want to try something like this; http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=799