Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Carrying lead

Boolit Master

Carrying lead

I'm not paranoid about lead exposure, but I'm getting much more careful. Talking to a young guy a while back, he had been casting for a while and was proud of some 45-70 bullets he'd made. He then pulls one out of his pocket. It looked shiny and a little worn like he had been carrying it in his pocket for some time.

He looked at me like I was silly when I said I thought that wasn't a good idea, as he would get trace amounts of lead on his hand every time he put it in his pocket, then ate or rubbed his face or whatever.

I've picked up brass at the range from time to time, and filled my coat pockets if I didn't have a container handy. Brass has traces of lead, as well as the dust and mud from the gravel at the range (they shoot lots of steel targets so I expect that dust is loaded with lead). I suppose my coat pockets now have traces of lead that I should be a little concerned about. No I don't think I'm paranoid but it all adds up.

No point in going out of ones way to get exposure, especially not by setting yourself up for hand to mouth by carrying of lead in ones pockets. I have had sample bullets I carried in my pocket before, they were kept in a plastic bag. I did have a couple of PC ones I carried in my watch pocket at one point. One full sized and one hammer tested by pounding flat.

You gave the guy decent advice, I think most of us avoid drinking, eating or smoking while working with lead. Common sense prevents a lot of regrets. Who wants to get a blood test, have elevated lead levels and then have spouse riding you about every little reloading thing you do - out of concern - but still annoying.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I wonder if the young guy would've been a bit more thoughtful if you mentioned spreading that minute amount of lead to his kids?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I think its just common sense. What have you got to loose by being a little cautious and adhering to simple rules?
    Then again, what have you to loose by NOT heading the advice? Too much , IMO.

I WILL ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

I have a free supply of good surgical gloves....i use when size, lube and load.
    Works great when you get the hang of it. (After short use there is a good bit of residue on fingertips.)
    "I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME"
    Phil. 4:13

MY 'Staight shooter' FEEDBACK LINK .
    Thank you for utilizing:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Boolit Master
    I would also consider that although there may be trace amounts in the pocket, those pants do get washed from time to time. No harm in reminding him of the potential for contamination though. Then he can make his own informed choices.

One can use a clear coat such as lacquerer or nail polish to provide a physical barrier to lead also. Did that with a strip of linotype that had my sisters name on it. Who knows what little kids might come along with the grandkids, neighbors etc.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    One can use a clear coat such as lacquerer or nail polish to provide a physical barrier to lead also. Did that with a strip of linotype that had my sisters name on it. .
    I started to spray paint my ingots after melting into ingots. Figured I could color code the different types of lead and not worry about oxidation.