Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 45acp load problems

Boolit Man

45acp load problems

I picked up a glock 21. I always shot 1911's before. Never had reloading problems for my 45acp before. I went with
    the wolf barrel to shoot pc lead. I had problems with the gun locking up and sometimes primer strikes but no ignition.If I cycle again they will go off.

What I found was I had to seat the bullet way deeper than before. I had to get it just past the edge of the bullet. These bullets are sized .452. When I use the lee factory crimp it does feel some pressure as the bullet part passes thru before getting to the crimping end. You think if I size to .451 this will help? At first I thought maybe the bullet is engaging the rifling. Does the same with SWC.

(I am ordering a case gauge to eliminate out of case specs.)

I use PC and go with .451".
    I thought everyone used a case gage...or at least plunked them.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Man

The case gage or plunk test are your friend, but the plunk test is only good on that barrel. Found that out the hard way. Most times can get by with .452, some are more sensitive, so .451. Use the case gage. Dave

Always plunk the first finished round. And any that look/ feel off. Just keep your barrel on the bench till you are finished. Best, Thomas.

Vendor Sponsor

Actually if you want the best results with it using .452" boolits the barrel needs throating. Seating deeper is a poor workaround for a too-small diameter freebore ahead of the chamber. Simple fix, then seat out as long as you want to, and the barrels shoot lights out afterwards.

This is either a KKM or Lone Wolf 45 ACP a barrel after throating:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    I did do the plunk test which led me to seating deeper than I want. I am going to get a shell gauge. I need to find someone local who can throat the barrel for me. Any recommendations if I have to mail off?

I want to add I am in south Louisiana close to New Orleans if you know some one within 100 miles of New Orleans.
    Last edited by passgas55; 11-15-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Doug Guy in above post #5 will do a great job for you.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by passgas55 View Post
    I did do the plunk test which led me to seating deeper than I want. I am going to get a shell gauge. I need to find someone local who can throat the barrel for me. Any recommendations if I have to mail off?

I want to add I am in south Louisiana close to New Orleans if you know some one within 100 miles of New Orleans.
    Send it here I get barrels and cylinders from all over the US. Send a PM for details.. Quick turnaround too. Lots of very pleased customers right here on this forum.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

PC adds thickness to the nose at different diameters and length. Just a few thousandths but each one different. Each and every one needs to pass the "plunk" test.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    PC adds thickness to the nose at different diameters and length. Just a few thousandths but each one different. Each and every one needs to pass the "plunk" test.
    the shoulder

I agree with you on the pc part adding thickness but when you do a SWC (Lee 200 gr) and you have to seat it just about past the shoulder something is wrong. The lonewolf is a tighter chamber. I can take a size case and it plunks great. I can plunk a sized case backwards. I should not have to plunk ever round I load. Plunk or gauge it when setting up the dies and check a couple after loading should be good. I am ordering a case gauge tonight.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Send it here I get barrels and cylinders from all over the US. Send a PM for details.. Quick turnaround too. Lots of very pleased customers right here on this forum.
    pm sent.Glad all the info you have on bottom of your post was not a snake.

Boolit Master
    Nice pic, D.G.!

Boolit Master
    The throat is the issue, most guns and barrels made anymore are made to run jacketed, throating a barrel is an extra production step they can avoid.

Boolit Man
    Got my barrel back from Doug. Quick turn around. Did a pluck test and it passed with flying colors. Hope to get time next week to start
    what bullet and load I want. Thanks Doug. Before I forget Happy Thanksgiving.

Boolit Master
    For what its worth the std oem Glock21 barrel is very good shooting lead. I have mine with a good 10k+ rounds of lead thru mine, even 750 in one day. The G22 and G35 I having problems with lead till I went to aftermarket barrels. My storm lake 9mm G22 conversion barrel requires a very short bullet, someday I should look into throating it.