WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 303 Brit

Boolit Buddy

303 Brit

I have a question for the gunsmiths out there. Is it possible to chamber 303 Brit in let's say a Mod 70 receiver. I'm unclear on whether it is possible with the rimmed case. Any feedback would be great.

While re-barreling a model 70 to .303 Brit is relatively simple with an accompanying bolt face alteration, achieving reliable feeding of the rimmed cartridge from the magazine isn't.

IMO, a better choice would be a 1914 Enfield, which was issued in .303

Boolit Buddy
    So are talking rim lock with the next case in line or the way the the Mod70 mag follower is designed? Would the follower be much different than a P14's?

Compare a Lee Enfield magazine to the magazine of the model 70 and you'll see the problem. The magazine that sucessfully feeds rimmed cartridges must have a slant and the rims must be loaded in tandem. I say this as I am working on rebarreling a 93 Mauser to 30-30 Win haha. Best, Thomas.

.303 in m70

I forgot to mention that the .303 rim fits a belted magnum bolt face perfectly if you pursue this project.......

Boolit Buddy
    That's some good info Texas. I will take a look at my brothers p14 beside his m70 in a few days to see what can be done.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    I have a question for the gunsmiths out there. Is it possible to chamber 303 Brit in let's say a Mod 70 receiver. I'm unclear on whether it is possible with the rimmed case. Any feedback would be great.
    yes .I have two Mausers chambered in different calibers based on the 303British case .You need to be mindfull of the position of the rim when loading ,they need to have the rim of the last case in front of the rim of the case below.
    A tapered insert fitted on the rear of the mag box can be added to stagger the cartridges forward as they are loaded ,but I found this unessesary .both of mine take three down only .One is kar 98 and the other is an M96 both with no modification apart from the bolt faces and the barrels. Both feed flawlessly .
    The model 70 is basically a copy of the 98 Mauser so it would work.
    If you look at a SMLE magazine it has a straight back wall ,you still need to make sure that you load it properly if loading singlely.Loading a SMLE with stripper clips is a different affair altogether.

Boolit Master

Winchester did make the model 70 in 30-30. The chamber end of the barrel was quite a bit different from the other cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    yes .I have two Mausers chambered in different calibers based on the 303British case .You need to be mindfull of the position of the rim when loading ,they need to have the rim of the last case in front of the rim of the case below.
    A tapered insert fitted on the rear of the mag box can be added to stagger the cartridges forward as they are loaded ,but I found this unessesary .both of mine take three down only .One is kar 98 and the other is an M96 both with no modification apart from the bolt faces and the barrels. Both feed flawlessly .
    The model 70 is basically a copy of the 98 Mauser so it would work.
    If you look at a SMLE magazine it has a straight back wall ,you still need to make sure that you load it properly if loading singlely.Loading a SMLE with stripper clips is a different affair altogether.
    BigeyeBob, Since you have 2 mausers that feed fine perhaps I will Go ahead with this venture. I wanted to use a M70 since I wanted to have a modern rifle that will be lightweight. I'm unclear of your tapered insert idea but if they load a feed fine with the last rim in front of the previous that would be ideal. I am quite familiar with enfields and this is how I load them. Other than relieving the bolt face is there any other surprises, extractors for example?

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Winchester did make the model 70 in 30-30. The chamber end of the barrel was quite a bit different from the other cartridges.
    I think you are thinking of the 54 Winchester. If I'm wrong it won't be the first or last time. Best, Thomas.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    BigeyeBob, Since you have 2 mausers that feed fine perhaps I will Go ahead with this venture. I wanted to use a M70 since I wanted to have a modern rifle that will be lightweight. I'm unclear of your tapered insert idea but if they load a feed fine with the last rim in front of the previous that would be ideal. I am quite familiar with enfields and this is how I load them. Other than relieving the bolt face is there any other surprises, extractors for example?
    Its been quite a number of years since the Mausers were rechambered ,I think the 98 was done in the mid 40,s by my Father , the 96 a few years after that .It was common to convert SMLE s from 303 brit to necked down wildcats in Australia after the war due to some stupid laws in some states regarding military calibres in civilian hands .The fed govt released thousands of SMLEs on to the market as surplus.Mausers were done as well ,but most conversions were SMLEs
    getting back to the Mausers , the bolt face needs to be relieved to accomadate the rim and the extractor claw will need some relief on the bottom edge to let the rim pass into position .Trial by filing and fitting until it passes smoothly every time .I could take pics and post them if you want to see what needs o be done.
    The wedge fits onto the rear face of the mag box with the thick end at the top.
    Best way to determine the angle of the insert is to draw it out on paper .
    draw a verticle line on the paper , draw another intersecting line at 90deg to that ,place a cartridge with the rim in the corner of th90deg angle ,place another cartridge with its rim in front of the rim of the first cartridge,and then another ontop ,mark the position of the rear face of the third cartridge on the paper , draw a line from the corner to the mark of the last cartridge. this is the angle needed for the insert.It should be as wide as the mag box hole ,and fits into the mag box against the rear wall , with the thick end at the top. The insert can be made of steel ,aluminium , or hardwood , fixed in place with epoxy or screws . Even plastic i guess.
    Niether of my rifles have this insert ,I have never had a problem with jamming by double feeding.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    Its been quite a number of years since the Mausers were rechambered ,I think the 98 was done in the mid 40,s by my Father , the 96 a few years after that .It was common to convert SMLE s from 303 brit to necked down wildcats in Australia after the war due to some stupid laws in some states regarding military calibres in civilian hands .The fed govt released thousands of SMLEs on to the market as surplus.Mausers were done as well ,but most conversions were SMLEs
    getting back to the Mausers , the bolt face needs to be relieved to accomadate the rim and the extractor claw will need some relief on the bottom edge to let the rim pass into position .Trial by filing and fitting until it passes smoothly every time .I could take pics and post them if you want to see what needs o be done.
    The wedge fits onto the rear face of the mag box with the thick end at the top.
    Best way to determine the angle of the insert is to draw it out on paper .
    draw a verticle line on the paper , draw another intersecting line at 90deg to that ,place a cartridge with the rim in the corner of th90deg angle ,place another cartridge with its rim in front of the rim of the first cartridge,and then another ontop ,mark the position of the rear face of the third cartridge on the paper , draw a line from the corner to the mark of the last cartridge. this is the angle needed for the insert.It should be as wide as the mag box hole ,and fits into the mag box against the rear wall , with the thick end at the top. The insert can be made of steel ,aluminium , or hardwood , fixed in place with epoxy or screws . Even plastic i guess.
    Niether of my rifles have this insert ,I have never had a problem with jamming by double feeding.
    A couple pics of your bolt faces would be terrific. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Compare a Lee Enfield magazine to the magazine of the model 70 and you'll see the problem. The magazine that sucessfully feeds rimmed cartridges must have a slant and the rims must be loaded in tandem. I say this as I am working on rebarreling a 93 Mauser to 30-30 Win haha. Best, Thomas.
    When you get this finished, please post pictures. It sounds like an amusing project.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.