WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Which short wheel gun?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W Model 19

25 43.86%
  • Ruger

25 43.86%
  • Rossi

2 3.51%
  • Taurus

0 0%
  • Other brand

2 3.51%
  • Stick with what you got, won't get better.

5 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New wheel gun snubby help/opinions WWYD?

Boolit Master

New wheel gun snubby help/opinions WWYD?

My current issue is what to buy for a carry wheel gun being that I am not familiar at all with any of the new products out there.

A little background to help, I traded in my 6” S&W Mod 19 (that I had for 30 years and should have kept as the action was like breaking glass and with it I couldn't miss) for a really nice 4” thinking it would be easier to carry but it’s not. So I’m looking for a 2” .357 Mag.

99% of the time it will be carried loaded with 4 rounds of snake shot, two rounds of something hard hitting. This is my ranch gun and not my going to meeting carry.

I don’t like the plastic stuff so that knocks out a few of them, but when I get down to prices I’m thinking I might as well buy another model 19 which I really like as when it comes to prices a good used 19 seems to be tickling the new gun prices one way or another.. and I got over thinking new was better long ago.

What ya think?

Moderator Emeritus

You should have never parted with your 6" Model 19... I carried one as a duty gun for several years until I started carrying my 6" Model 57.

My vote would be either a 2 1/2" Model 19 or Model 66. I have both, and they shoot great. My best kill with my 2 1/2" Model 66 was an offhand shot on a coyote at 85 long paces. Took his heart right out the other side with a 158 gr. SWC..

You can't go wrong with the K frame Smiths.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I sure agree with Fred's advice. Seeing that you live in Texas and humidity might be a problem I'd go with the Mod. 66.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy a four inch and live with it or cut it to 3 if you can't.

Moderator Emeritus

Have a 2-1/2" S & W Model 66 (stainless version of Model 19). Carried in a Bianchi shoulder rig and it saved my life in 1990. Two points: 1. That short barrel does not really get a true 357 mag. performance; 2. I think that it is still a very large pistol and would rather have a Model 60 with a extra speed strip for a total of 10 - 38 spl rounds.....Have fun with what ya got......and practice, practice, practice and be proficient with it.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Model 19 or 66 would be perfect. Since it's a ranch gun, carry OWB with a 3-4" barrel. Just my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Choice:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0480.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	180702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0479.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	180703 I might be tempted to substitute an SP{101. I have no problem at all with the 2 1/2 S&W's, save that hereabouts they are much more costly than the Rugers.
    However, strictly for concealment carry, I'd go with a 38 snubbie.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	180704 That 640 no-hole on the bottom right is a dandy, but the pink handled 342 is much easier in the pocket.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Ill throw a vote in for the sp101.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

I like the idea of the 66, stainless would reduce the "oh **** I forgot to wipe it down" thoughts in bed!

I do have a Colt Cobra that I carry too in the truck but it isn't a +P gun and I'm tired of making / buying special ammo for it ( and it probably should be in the safe or in somebody's collection), figure with a .357 it will eat what I give it without a special diet. Mostly this will be a snake gun with the thought that it will contain the next Badger I piss off or coyote that decides it's not afraid of humans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    You should have never parted with your 6" Model 19... I carried one as a duty gun for several years until I started carrying my 6" Model 57.

My vote would be either a 2 1/2" Model 19 or Model 66. I have both, and they shoot great. My best kill with my 2 1/2" Model 66 was an offhand shot on a coyote at 85 long paces. Took his heart right out the other side with a 158 gr. SWC..

You can't go wrong with the K frame Smiths.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I know I should have kept the 6". It was one of the last guns I've ever gotten rid of, any more I've decided to just buy another safe, tired of kicking my butt a year later for letting something go...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Have a 2-1/2" S & W Model 66 (stainless version of Model 19). Carried in a Bianchi shoulder rig and it saved my life in 1990. Two points: 1. That short barrel does not really get a true 357 mag. performance; 2. I think that it is still a very large pistol and would rather have a Model 60 with a extra speed strip for a total of 10 - 38 spl rounds.....Have fun with what ya got......and practice, practice, practice and be proficient with it.....Paul
    I hadn't thought about a shoulder rig, my main problem is getting in and out of the truck or on/off the loader backhoe and catching it on things or having it jab me... Shoulder rig would move it out of the way of all of that...

Banned
    OK, first a confession - I'm a snubnose revolver addict.

I voted for the Mod 19 but with no other criteria beyond that short list, that was all I could do.

The 2.5" Mod 19 is the classic S&W K-frame snubbie. Chambered in .357 mag and equipped with adjustable sights, it has been called the Cadillac of snub nose revolvers.

However, the Ruger SP101 is a great gun and the discontinued Speed-Six is also a great gun that could have received my vote.

The choices didn't list the S&W J-frames or the Colt Detective Special (or the Cobra & Agent variations) and with some more information I could have changed my vote.

Boolit Master
    I'm a SW fan, but for what you think you want a 3 inch sp101 with some trigger work would fill the bill. For me, same use, a m36-6 3 inch with adj sights is plenty power and accurate plus easy to carry. Bear in mind , I have small hands, you may prefer a 3 inch M19
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Snubbys

If you want 357 power with portability, my vote is for the 3" model 60 J frame revolver. Accuracy with mine is as good as a K Frame and it is large enough to shoot quickly as well as accurately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s&W 60-10-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    If you want 357 power with portability, my vote is for the 3" model 60 J frame revolver. Accuracy with mine is as good as a K Frame and it is large enough to shoot quickly as well as accurately.
    +1, it looks like we both have identical -10's, even down to the grips & sights.

The only thing better than a K-frame S&W is a J-frame S&W.

Groo here
    An S&W 3in m-60 [ mine is a M-60 pro] , a 3in SP101 or a 3in Gp-100 if you need a 6 shot.
    The 3 in barrel has a full length ejector that makes things easier to get out.
    The 3in barrel seems to be a sweet spot , getting the most out a short barrel with 357's.
    For an easy woods ,trail, and CCW gun- the 3in 5 shot is thin ,light, but has a longer sight radius .
    All have small grips allowing you to fit the gun to your hand.
    And all will handle more 357's than most can afford to buy........

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite snubby is bigger than most, 8 shot .357 magnum, N frame, S&W 327

It rides perfectly @ 1:00 with a Remora or no holster at all. Amazingly accurate for a snubby.
    "Oh bother" said Pooh as the tripwire clicked.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Boolit Master

if it's a carry gun i vote 3" SP101
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

carry gun

Love all the post`s . I have a love for older S&W revolvers, and Ruger revolvers Can`t go wrong with these !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    All good advice and another vote for the 3" SP101.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.