RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: No corn syrup pecan pie

Boolit Grand Master

No corn syrup pecan pie

My mother has this recipe , from her grandmother , for old school pecan pie they made before Karo Syrup became popular. A local restaurant makes pecan pie that tastes exceptionally good and upon asking the cook, she said it was just dark and white sugar....no corn syrup , that gave it it's unique taste. We found her grandmother's recipe . Now Mom used the Karo recipe back in the 50's and 60's . Mom said the Karo was cheap and was popular with penny pinching house wives like herself.
    I helped my daughter bake some for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, everyone thought they tasted better.

No Corn Syrup Pecan Pie

1 cup light brown sugar packed
    2/3 cup white granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter , melted
    2 tablespoons , Pet milk ,cream or whole milk
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 nine inch deep dish pie shell , unbaked

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In large mixing bowl mix brown sugar , white sugar and eggs untill well blended. Add chopped pecans, melted butter, milk, flour and vanilla extract , stir well to combine.
    Pour into pie shell and bake for 55 minute. Check for doneness by shaking the pan, the pie center should jiggle but the outer edges will be firm. It will continue to cook and the pie will set more as it cools. DO NOT over bake...taking it out at the proper time is learned by experience but over baked ones are not to be desires...slightly under baked taste better , even if you have to eat them with a spoon.

Try this pie and see if the flavor isn't better than the corn syrup pie , we think they are!

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-14-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, GW! I'm not sure I'll get to try it. My diabetes won't let me eat much pecan pie. I remember Justin Wilson baking one with, yep, you guessed it - LA hot sauce in it! And my mouth watered any time he cooked anything. Now you have my mouth watering, too! It's TOUGH being diabetic!!!

I probably won't try your recipe because I can stand anything but temptation, but ... I just might test myself! Thanks! It sure sounds like it'd taste good!

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry about your diabetes Blackwater , I fully understand, but do pass the recipe on to friends and family. I have always believed these old heirloom type recipes should be passed on and preserved. Once lost they're gone forever.

The Justin Wilson pecan pie recipe that I like uses 1 cup molasses and 1 cup white sugar , no hot sauce , but you have to like molasses , which I do , to like this pie. My wife and children don't share my taste for molasses so it rarely gets made. It is a rather intense flavor!
    You have to watch Justin....he would put hot sauce and/or wine in just about everything he cooked ! Pecan pie ? I would have to taste that first. Just seems wrong.

Gary

Boolit Bub
    Thanks! I gained 35lbs in just a few months having 2 pieces of pecan pie a day. Came home and off the lbs went. This won't help that issue but at least it's natural sugar....

Moderator Emeritus

gw, Thanks for recipe. I will give it a whirl.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

I posted some other non corn syrup alternatives in the other pecan pie thread. We won't be using corn syrup in our pecan pies either.

I think I meant to post in this thread since it was about non corn syrup alternative sweeteners..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-14-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Has anyone ever used honey?
    My mom used to use it in her pies, but I don't have any recipes, she didn't pass it on.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    Has anyone ever used honey?
    My mom used to use it in her pies, but I don't have any recipes, she didn't pass it on.
    When I get home tonight I will check a cooking with honey cook book I have and see. Every recipe in that book is geared to using honey. It should have something.
    You can't get more natural than honey and I love it.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Found it ! Honey Pecan Pie

1/4 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    3 eggs , lightly beaten.
    1 cup Honey
    1/3 cup melted butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 - 9 inch unbaked deep dish pie shell
    1 cup pecan halves

Directions:
    In a large bowl, combine surar and floue. Stir in eggs , honey , butter, vanilla and salt. Mix well , then stir in chopped pecans, mix well. Pour into pie shell. Arrange pecan halves around edge and center of pie in a decorative fashion ( I just chop all the pecans , 2 cups, I'm not a decorating type...I'm an eating type) .

Cover edges with foil, bake at 350 degrees 25 mins. remove foil , bake 20-25 mins longer, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack .

If you like honey , this recipe is heavy on the honey.

Gary

Moderator Emeritus

OK! I can't stand this any more! GOT to have at least a SMALL piece of pecan pie, and SOON! One question: Has anyone made one using stevia instead of the brown/white sugar? I think I'd like to use some good, thick, rich cane syrup too. Anybody got a recipe with these ingredients, or a low-cal low-carb version???? It probably won't taste quite as good, I know, but I'm ALMOST getting used to things not being quite as good as I've been used to. It's not fully satisfying, but if it keeps my health up, I'll make that sacrifice. It's the only hand I have to play, really.

Boolit Grand Master

Steen's Cane Syrup Pecan Pie
    Steen's has made pure cane syrup in Abbeville , LA. since 1910. It is made from cane juice before any sugar has been removed....it is the real deal as far as cane syrup is concerned.
    This is their recipe. I like it but I like cane syrup !

1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 1/2 cups Steen's syrup
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup pecans
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 - 9 inch deep dish crust , unbaked.

Melt the butter , add flour and cornstarch - stir till smooth.
    Add Steen's syrup , white sugar and boil for 3 minutes. Cool.
    Add beaten eggs, nuts and vanilla - mix well.
    Pour into pie crust and bake in 450 degree for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 30 to 35 minutes . Watch carefully don't over bake.

I'm not sure how to make low-cal , low-carb substitutions ...maybe another member has done it successfully.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Second time I have used the OP's no-corn-syrup recipe. Wife hand-made the crusts. Made two for Christmas Day! Enjoy! I know I will....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0849.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	183433
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Second time I have used the OP's no-corn-syrup recipe. Wife hand-made the crusts. Made two for Christmas Day! Enjoy! I know I will....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0849.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	183433
    Those pecan pies look awesome !
    Gary

Boolit Master

As a sugar beet grower just have to Love the real sugar recipe. Look for Crystal Sugar. The company is owned by farmers like me