Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: going to start pan lubing

Boolit Bub

going to start pan lubing

going to put an order in soon to randyrat soon for 4LBS of bees wax and i am looking for a good recipe for a farily temp stable pan lube.

this lube will be used noe 311-180-FN gas checked and plain base mold in a western field copy of a marlin 336 micro grove If all works out well i might try them in an 30-06 rem 700.

these will be used for informal target practice in iowa climate all year around so it.

So far i see people here talking about a modified bens red for pan lubing but i havent seen that recipe, runfiveruns's simple lube, and a 2 to 1 bees wax vasolene lube. What would you sugest for me?

Boolit Master
    Black or smokeless? Petroleum products often don't react well with BP fouling.
    I like Emmerts for pan lubing because it's easy to make and it works for either powder.
    50% Beeswax, 40% Crisco, 10% Jojoba or Canola Oil.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    smokless. I am probably going to start with IMR 4198 and 3031

Boolit Master
    I like to keep it simple. No more than three ingredients, no drawn out procedure, just melt the wax, add the crisco, add the oil and stir but that's just me. Here is a link to so many recipes your head will spin: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Lube-recipes
    In the "Boolit Lube!" section if you search for 4198 or 3031 you can narrow it down a bit.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I use equal parts beeswax paraffin and Vaseline. I use it in 40s&w and 45acp. No clue on how fast they're going. But when it was about 100* I didn't have an issues. And I've shot it as cold as 20* outside temp. My ammo is usually always kept in the house though. And if it's outside in that weather it's only for as long as I want to be. And when shooting that's about 2-3 hours. But I haven't had an issue.

Boolit Master
    For pan lubing I mixed up a batch of Darr lube with a couple of sticks of Rooster Red. The bullets push out of the cake easy and the lube stays in the grooves. I use it for smokeless (4227) in a 38-55. Seems to work, no leading and accuracy is good.

Boolit Master
    Just try a small batch at first , a 1/4 pound or so , it will go a long way .

Having excellent results with the "Satin's Lube", or also known as "666" lube.

6 parts Paraffin
    6 parts beeswax
    6 parts plain unscented vaseline
    and 1 part shaved Ivory bar soap (guess it should have been called 6661 lube)

I added all ingredients by weight.

Melt the paraffin, vaseline, and the soap together. You need to get in pretty hot to melt the soap shavings. Add beeswax AFTER it starts to cool down. Beeswax does not like the higher temp it requires to melt the soap.

For hot weather use, I used 9 parts paraffin with good results. Or you can cut the Vaseline down to lower portions (some recommended to cut it to 3 parts).
    Cool or cold weather is good to go at "6661".

I have not tried this lube in high intensity cartridges. Just in 45-70 so far.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 11-22-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Simple lube works great - I'm in the same boat only with a
    Win. 30/30 and PH1200 '06 - Toms 170F and 311299
    I'll be testing the '06 this weekend and if it works in it I
    know it will in the 94

My standard smokeless lube is:
    1lb Randy's Bee's wax
    1lb Lard
    8oz STP oil treatment.

I use this is everything under 1800fps. If you wish to go faster, then you want White Lube's 2500+ or 2700+. We used it for 30-06 and 300 win mag. Went real fast, did lead, it was a fun experiment.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Have you though about just buying a ready made lube like Carnuba Red from White Label? That what I use and I pan lube pretty much everything. Although for 30 and 338 caliber rifle bullets I dip lube.

Boolit Bub
    I made a double batch of simple lube and it fills out the lube grove nicely. I lubed up all of the plain based bullets i had casted up my question now is what do i do for the checked ones. I would think one would want to seat the checks before i pan lube them but i read on my lee sizing die that i should not run them through unlubed. would spraying on an alcohol lee case lube mixture to size then pan lube adversely effect the pan lube. I believe the lee case lube is mainly lanolin.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been push through sizing and seating without lube with no ill effects.
    I then pan lube with simple lube and they come out great.

Banned

just push the checks on, then pan lube, then size.

Boolit Master
    I used 50-50 bees wax and Vaseline for my plain based 30 cal bullets
    and simple lube for gas check velocity loads.
    I have gotten good velocity out of 50-50 but had an issue with leading at one stage so kept to the simple lube.
    I may put a bit extra vas or wax in to tune it between summer or winter.
    I like it softish.
    I dip lube with either or just throw a hand-full on top of the lube and when melted in the double boiler scoop them out with tweezers and stand them on grease proof paper to harden.
    I use a cutter to collect them off the paper and scape the extra into a ball and put back in tin.
    I even to it while casting the plain base bullets by casting one.
    Then picking up the previous one off the cloth and placing it in the tin of lube then putting on the paper to dry.
    Whack off the spruce and drop bullet.
    Pour next and continue.
    If you get your cadence rigth it all works just fine till something happens.....lol

I use some sinkers around the lube tin to hold it from floating around in the pan with the water in it when dip lubing.
    Ha
    LOL
    Hope it helps.

I may try some pan lubing but I'm likely to loose half by knocking one over in a tray sort of guy.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 12-03-2016 at 07:27 AM.