MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: I'm snickering like Muttley

I'm snickering like Muttley

At long last my checking account lined up with an available .460 Roland kit for one of my 1911s...and it was on sale!

I plan on using a 416R stainless frame and a Springfield Armory slide for a dedicated conversion. The frame has an extra heavy mainspring and the slide a flat bottom firing pin stop. I was making a .45 Super on it, but decided to do the Super on a frame with a ramped barrel and the above mentioned goodies. A box of 500 Star Line brass will be in order for the project. Any suggestions on powder? I have plenty of 800X, 2400, Blue Dot, H-110, but none of the recommended powders on the "Real Guns" site, (Power Pistol-Long Shot-AA#7-True Blue). I'll probably use Hornady 200gr. XTP hollow points.

Do all of the conversion kits still have those large brakes to retard the action? I looked at the 460 conversions a couple years ago but didn't like the brake/bushing arrangement I saw.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPanda View Post
    Do all of the conversion kits still have those large brakes to retard the action? I looked at the 460 conversions a couple years ago but didn't like the brake/bushing arrangement I saw.
    Same here. I would have bought one ages ago but they would not sell it without the brake.

Yes, the brake is still standard on the conversion. As I understand it, it's permanently attached to the barrel and serves to retard the recoil, saving the frame from excess battering as well as reducing felt recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    Wilson makes a .460 Rowland without the compensator. I've got a .460 Commander. I don't have a favorite load, yet.

Is it ported, Harry?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it's the standard Rowland kit. I gave it to Clark Custom Guns at the NRA convention in 2007. They installed a fiber optic front sight on the compensator and returned it in less than a year. I hardly ever shoot it.