Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt is awesome!

Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt is awesome!

Finally got one after searching locally for a while. Shot it once last week with some boolits I had bought awhile back, leaded pretty good, cylinder is going to Dougguy next month. No big deal there, I expected to need that done. Today went out with some Ruger loads of 300 gr XTP's loaded over 21.8 gr of W296. Wow that was not nearly as bad as I've been told and read that it would be, was actually very fun. Two handed the hammer would stick me on recoil so switched to one handed for the second cylinder and it was perfect, I don't see me switching to the bisley grip, quite happy with the current one. Although I'm definitely going to have to work on accuracy with that load.
    The wife went with me and because I wanted to have her shoot it also, I bought some cowboy loads for her to use, she liked it a lot, wants one for herself now but in 357! Dang accurate and soft shooting with these loads. All in all it was a good range time and really liking the Blackhawk.
    Side note, the cowboy loads were 200 gr lead RNFP, and no leading showed up? My cylinder throats are undersized so just surprised. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_5076-IMG_20161112_170000496_HDR-1498728059.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	180577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_5076-IMG_20161112_170000496_HDR-1498728059.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	180577

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an early New Model with 7 1/2" barrel and bought a random 45 ACP cylinder off a gun show table. It dropped right in and most days it shoots better than the original 45 Colt! Go figure!

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 11-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Careful,,, those Ruger 45's are addictive. We will NOT discuss how many OM 45's I own,, along with the NM's to keep them company.
    Just understand I truly do enjoy mine,,, and it appears you are also going to enjoy yours. DougGuy does an EXCELLENT job with fast turnaround.

Perma-Banned

I bought mine in 1976, along with the Ruger Super Blackhawk. Mine have adjustable rear sights and 7" barrels. Had a great time with them out in the Mohave Desert.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I am happy to hear that you enjoy your BH. I own 2 Ruger Blackhawks, one FT 44 special and one .357 magnum. The .357 is the most accurate gun I own and eats everything I feed it from 140 grain wadcutters to the Lyman 195 grain 358430. I've yet to find the sweet spot for the .44 special. I toy with the idea of getting either a .41 mag or 45 Blackhawk. But then again, maybe its time to get a .45 Vaquero!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yep definitely a case of you can't have just 1 .
    With prices what they are however the 76' sleeps alone .
    Mine wasn't so much undersized as all different sizes.
    Fun to shoot loads of 7 gr of Unique and the 45-200 and 452-255 .
    Business loads of 9.5 and several 255-265 gr bullets are plenty of authority.
    The ACP is a pop gun load even with heavies .
    Looking forward to getting a dedicated Schofield and/or mag .

I've wanted one in 40 cal for some time but it will have to come from somebodys secret stash as they seem to be discontinued....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Perma-Banned

Glad you like the .45.

I have got a Williams Supply stainless 45colt/45acp 5.5" barreled Bisley, that I will sure let someone own.

Just shoot me a pm for details.

Boolit Master

Sort of changing the subject a bit, but I have a New Model Blackhawk in the 45 Colt cartridge also…

The wood grips sure do look nice…

Does anyone know where I can get a set of those critters?...

Thanks…BCB

In Remembrance

I`ve thinned my `herd` of firearms a bit lately. The last was a 5 1/2" convertable .45/45 acp blued with no more than 300 lead loads thru it. So, I`m down to my `artillery Ruger` now, a 7 1/2" Long Colt with Hogue grips for my large paws. Amazing what a 270 gr. slug of 50/50 alloy will do. The .45 Long Colt has long taken 2nd place to the .44 mag. till someone tries it and finds that claim just isn`t true.Robert

I did think about the 44 mag for a while. But Linebaugh, Taffin and a few others that I can't think of right now convinced me of the 45 Colts potential. And I'm not opposed to the 44 mag, I like it, I just think the 45 is better now. Even the difference in recoil seemed to me to be easier and smoother with the 45 with even the full power loads.
    As for the grips I know sportsman's and cabelas carry them, also seen them in a few LGS around here. Whether you want to pay what they're wanting for some of them is something else.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger 45s.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	180783

I do LOVE mine..
    Montana Native, Living in the bayou
    The trouble with making things idiot proof, is that they keep making better idiots..
    Don't Force it, get a bigger hammer..

Boolit Bub
    Those grips look really nice on that revolver Sean357. I may be shopping for a pair of them in a few months. My daughter is in the county 4-H and they do cowboy mounted shooting using single actions. The girls that were there were carrying pairs of Ruger Vaqueros in 45LC. They just use black powder and no bullets so I'll probably be opting for stainless. I need to find out if they permit 44Mag instead, since I already have dies and a mold for the 44Mag., then that way I could still make regular ammo to use at the regular range also. I even load 44Spcl in case she doesn't want something quite so stout.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Sort of changing the subject a bit, but I have a New Model Blackhawk in the 45 Colt cartridge also…

The wood grips sure do look nice…

Does anyone know where I can get a set of those critters?...

Thanks…BCB
    Plenty online, but not exactly cheap. I made a set out of a chunk of mahogany left over from making a guitar. Made them left handed for me.

I have found the convertable blackhawk to be very versatile. Yea you can shoot factory low pressure or the high pressure 45colt. But I like being able to run much cheaper 45ACP thru mine. Last box of 45 colt I bought was $45 vs $20 for some basic 45 ACP. And being a blackhawk, you can easily use the higher performing 45 super, or even 460 rowland. Reloaded 45acp is really really cheap. Running the same powder coated cast 230gr, I only need 4gr of S1000 vs 9gr of unique in the colt.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sean357 View Post
    The wife went with me and because I wanted to have her shoot it also, I bought some cowboy loads for her to use, she liked it a lot, wants one for herself now but in 357!
    Get her a New Model Flattop in 357 or maybe even 44 Special! These are medium frame revolvers, lighter, slimmer, and just right for a female shooter!

I would actually pick the 44 Special for her. Factory level loads are a 200gr boolit at 750fps or so, quite mild, BUT if she ever wants to hunt with it, you can push a 240gr boolit right up under the same energy you would get from starting loads for a 44 magnum!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

I've got an older Vaquero in 45 Colt and a SBH in 44 magnum. I like them both. The SBH will "getcha" because the trigger guard is square at the back. ( hint hint Ruger), hurts the knuckle after awhile. The vaqueros smooth rounded trigger guard makes it more pleasant with powerful loads. I rarely leave the 45 at home.

Moderator Emeritus

I had to smile when I read this post. A buddy of mine has .45 1911's, a couple of DA .357's, and all are VERY accurate with his loads. But guess what he keeps on his night stand by his bed? Yep! You guessed it! His 4 5/8" Ruger .45 LC. And God help anybody who tried to break in on him! He just doesn't miss with that gun! Of course, he grew up from about age 8 shooting an old Colt Flat Top in .45 LC, and his granpa taught him how to shoot it and a M-94 Win. in .25/35. You could load quite a few semi trucks with the game he took with those two rifles! His granpa hunted, fished and trapped, and did seasonal farm work, and was extremely good at all of those. The shots his granpa made with that old Colt and the M-94 were the reason he grew up thinking you were just supposed to make stupendous shots as a matter of natural course. He still doesn't understand folks who can't shoot like he does. He just learned early about "aim small, miss small."

He's my favorite shooting partner, and always used to shade me usually, but that's why I loved shooting with him. He always made me do my best. Rascal cheated, though! He's got eyes like an eagle, and I'd almost bet he'd be able to read news headlines at 100 yds.! I was never like that! Sure kept me tryin', though!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Get her a New Model Flattop in 357 or maybe even 44 Special! These are medium frame revolvers, lighter, slimmer, and just right for a female shooter!

I would actually pick the 44 Special for her. Factory level loads are a 200gr boolit at 750fps or so, quite mild, BUT if she ever wants to hunt with it, you can push a 240gr boolit right up under the same energy you would get from starting loads for a 44 magnum!
    I would love to have the new 45lc/45ACP convertible in the flat top Blackhawk. Out of production now but still available. All the bennies of the 44spl and twice as much fun...
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don’t ever trust a man who doesn’t like John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ruger single actions are some of the greatest firearms ever produced, period. I currently have a 6-1/2" Single Six and plan to add a .357 Blackhawk at some point. I would take a Ruger over a Colt any day. Or, sell the Colt and buy three Rugers!

Hint: an easy way to brighten up the front sight on your Blackhawk is with the little touch up bottles of car paint. I use Pearl White and it is really bright and surprisingly durable. Comes off with acetone if you want to remove it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Been addicted for years; currently have single 6 (2 cyl), 357/9mm; 2 x 44/40's; 44Mag super blackhawk; 45lc/45ACP & 45LC !

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I got a 45lc black hawk over the summer and just love it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast