WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of flush fit SMLE mags?

Boolit Master

Source of flush fit SMLE mags?

Anybody know where a guy can just buy a flush fitting magazine for a SMLE and/or a No. 4? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Never seen a flush fit LE mag but have seen 5 round LE mags... I have seen factory made and homemade 5 round mags.

I have also never seen a flush fitting LE magazine. I own a 5-shot, and it still protrudes below the bottom of the magazine well approx. 1- 1 1/2 inches. I doubt if a truly flush magazine could be made, because the shape of the magazine, angled toward the front, is necessary for proper stacking and feeding of the .303 rimmed cartridge, so if you could make one with the rear flush the front would probably be inside the magazine well. Many years ago in gunsmithing school I was shown an extremely customized LE by an instructor, Bill Spurrier. He had made and installed a flush floor plate like that of a Mauser, but wider, a customized follower that was powered by a coil spring. It's capacity was reduced to 3 shots, which was one in the chamber and two in the magazine. He had also cut off most of the collar, eliminated the stock bolt, and bedded it in a one piece stock. Nice rifle, but somehow it had lost it's mystique. I think a flush magazine could be made for the Indian 7.62mm version. I guess you are dealing with the Calif. hunting regulations (?) or is it the large capacity magazine ban? Would a properly shaped wooden block under the follower spring that limited the number of rounds loaded into the magazine be acceptable?

Boolit Master
    Never seen anything but the 10rd. Even those are usually hard to find.

Boolit Master
    Had one once on a sporter. If I can find an old pic I will post it. Basically, homemade, mag cut off at the stockline and a bottom plate installed. Still detachable and held four rounds if I remember correctly. Never seen nor heard of a commercial version.

Boolit Master

Hi all, have several only one is factory I think it is well made and die formed and came on a Churchill no4 sporter. The rest are homemade and only hold 4 rounds. They were made for carbines and not exactly flush.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_153750.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	180579
    An old pic of the carbine

Name:	20150320_100450.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	180580
    My old no4 with homemade 5 rd mag

Name:	20150204_125538.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	180581
    The Churchill no4
    Last edited by leebuilder; 11-12-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Hello again, leebuilder. I posted first on the Longbranch sporter thread, then came here to direct other interested persons to that thread, but I see that you were already here. So....the magazine shown in the top photo is a true flush fit, giving a bottom profile like a Mauser? Or does it stick in or out a little above or below the stock line? The only one I own (5 rounder) is as shown in the top rifle in your photo in the other thread. I've never seen a truly flush fit.

Boolit Master

The top one is not exactly flush, flush at the front and aboot 3/8" proud at the rear. I can't remember what model it is, dated 1896 or 1898 and I permently attached with a "toggle link"

Name:	2016-11-12 22.16.41.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	180585
    Cropped pic
    The Churchill is almost flush and has a modified follower, that's why I think it's factory and the fact it is die formed. And my camoed No4Mk2 is aboot 1/4" proud of the mag well, this must be the length in order to use the original follower and spring, if not assembly will not be possible.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    I have one 5 rounder made for Santa Fe arms made in Japan. Have it on a Long Branch sporter. Frank

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. It appears any hope of a flush fit will involve a fixed magazine. California laws haven't got around to this subject, yet. There's no restrictions particular to hunting and mag capacity. The 10 rounders will now pertain to basically everything. While I have your ears, what's available out there for after market mags? I've had trouble with some, not staying put in a No. 4 but ok in a No. 1.

Dualsport: the most common one was made by Santa Fe and simply looks like a shorter 10 rounder. They are not easy to find, but they do exist and show up from time to time.

There was a guy is South Africa who was supposed to be making 5 and 10 round #1 and #4 magazines and I ordered two 5rounders but never got notified when he had them in stock so I think he flaked out.

A lot of the British Sporting Rifles made on LE actions had mags that were cut off just below the trigger guard with flat or slightly curved bottom plates that were welded in place.

It is not hard to modify an existing magazine by cutting it off and welding a bottom plate onto it.

Do understand that #1 and #4 mags are different so use the appropriate one for whatever gun is being modded.

I personally think the Santa Fe magazine is the best looking one of the bunch, and NO you can't have mine.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Attachment 180631
    Click to enlarge.

I do not presently know of a source where you can obtain after market mags, but they have been offered sporadically. I obtained one from a fellow in Canada that was manufactured to fit either rifle. I've included this photo of a No.1 mag and a No. 4 mag, because supposedly it is possible to convert the No.1 mag to fit the No. 4 rifle by removing the rivet and spring on the back. Honestly, I have never done the conversion myself, having a couple of spares of both types from "back in the day." I believe that the last time I looked at the Gun Parts Corp. website they had originals in stock, although they're getting rather expensive. Keeping a sharp eye out on the internet auctions in the gun parts categories and looking at Firearms News (formerly Shotgun News) should eventually yield results also.

In Remembrance

Quite a few years back I attended a gunshow that had many big name custom `smiths showing what they can do. I can`t remember if it was Elwood Epps table or someone elses but there was a heavily modified LE. It not only had a 1 piece stock but had a lot of metal work done on the reciever. But the thing I couldn`t stop looking at was a smooth bottomed reciever where a mag would`ve gone. I imagine at best it was a 3 or 4 shot rifle with the welded metal on the floorplate frame. The real disappointment was the tag on it`For display only - not for sale`!Robert

Boolit Buddy
    You could make your own 4 or 5 round magazine by modifying an old Drill Purpose mag. Liberty Tree has No1 DP mags for $35. A little time and some care with a dermal tool, file and pliers and you could have what you want.
    https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...&idcategory=62

Here's a DIY flush fit LE mag instructions.
    http://www.303british.com/id34.html

Just found Sarco has reproduction No4 mags for $29.95!
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/4-mk1-rifle-magazine.aspx
    Last edited by tbx-4; 11-13-2016 at 07:09 PM.

The Promag reproductions might be easier to shorten than a factory mag. It's easiest if you just shorten it a little bit first, to get the feel of cutting and bending the magazine body. Then shorten it to where you want it.

Boolit Master
    ibought several DP magazines many years ago, in part to experiment with making five round mags but never got around to it.

All the DP mags I received had damage to the left hand front feed lip.
    I managed to correct the damage by drawing the metal by cold hammering then filing to shape, which thins but work hardens the lip.

I have considered using the lower notch of the No.1 style magazine which holds the tension spring as a mag catch notch and cutting the magazine body down from the top instead of from the bottom, cutting the new feed lips by hand to match the originals.

The protrusion of the cut down mag at the rear is not much of a problem when carrying at the balance point of a sporter.

Boolit Master

when I was in high school....many, many years ago I sporterized two .303 Brits.....
    On one I cut down the magazine for a flush fit
    On the other I retained the 5 shot magazine....this was a Brit from Golden State Arms.
    here is a picture of the flush fit rifle which I still shoot

Attachment 180673Attachment 180674Attachment 180675

the modification turned the magazine into a 4 shot.....and I remember it was a tricky thing to do to cut down and re-weld the magazine for a flush fit....thankfully I had a very helpful metal shot intstructor

ATR
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Nice looking rifle and magazine conversion. First one like it, both actually flush and removable, that I've seen.

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to check out my old post where I gave instructions and photo's of the rare old rusty 303 mag I shortened. I was castigated severly for ruining a mag thet came in a 2 dollar junk box, but it sure looked good on my Parker Hale Sporter.

Boolit Master
    What a gold mine of information! Thank you all for all the help. I'll try to post a picture of my project/parts gun with flush fixed magazine. The difficulty arises from no longer being slanted to acamodate the rimmed cartridge. KCSO, a little help finding that post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast