Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger 44 Carbine

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger 44 Carbine

LGS had a Ruger Carbine in 44 Mag. It is the non tube fed variety (2nd Gen). It looks to be essentially a safe queen.

What would the market be for this carbine?

Any known issues?

What is the general consensus on these?

That's my number 1 deer rifle. Can't speak to the market, but mine will be the second to last I ever let go. In fact, my oldest son will be using it on opening morning this Saturday. Straight A's trumps me using the Dads favorite rifle line. It's got 7 one shot kills, and only one animal took a step. 300# auodad shot at 135 yds went about 25yds after the shot. Magazine availability is one issue, but they can be found with diligent searching. I haven't heard of any other major issues other than having to use jacketed bullets only due to he gas system design. I'm okay, mine groups best with Winchester WB 240gr JSP. Still on the original box from 4 years ago, even with practice for my son, 1 round validation of zero, and an animal or two shot in a year. I did add a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 on it. If it's at a good price, buy it. Or let me know where it is so that I can and give it to my son for Christmas. I want my rifle back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You appear to have come across a Ruger 99/44 Deerfield carbine with detachable rotary magazine, styled after Ruger's Mini-14.

The one I had was stone reliable, as long as I refrained from shooting plain lead boolits - which are not user-friendly to the gas system (lead clogs).

I liked the issue peepsight on it, and only wished it had been issued with a walnut stock

They were discontinued after a few years, and a buyer today would have to be very lucky to fine one in excellent condition for less than $700.

I have an earlier one from '83, I beleive, with the tube mag. Had it for a long time. Sometimes you have to touch it right to get the first round chambered, and if yoh load your own watch oal. They go in my area for $500 up to silly asking prices. I think $500-$700 would get a nice serviceable and clean one. Mine was my grandfathers and looks new so I haven't hunted with. Good luck with it. Post some pics if it follows you home.

Perma-Banned

It seems that that you have happened across the Deerfield model...it is the only model that I would have. Years and years ago...almost 30yrs ago...I had the tube fed version...sold that dog and never looked back. Repeated problems with the tube magazine made me despise the little gun.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 11-28-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the ruger 77/357, not the 44, but it works like a charm. Deadly accurate out to 100 yards. I have never encountered any issues with mine. New it was $700 with the tax and all. Hope this helps you.

To add on, it now added 3 more 1 shot, dead right there kills this weekend. If we weren't going to Disney next month, I'd be adding two more to the safe, 1 for each kid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I was mistaken. It was the tube fed Ruger M44 Carbine. It has a 102 serial number so it was made in 1980 going by the serial numbers at Ruger. I figured for roughly 5 bills, I wasn't gonna get hurt. It is now my one and only 44 Mag. I've got some 240gr XTP to load up. Probably on the warm side with 296. I bought some bases and will throw a scope on it. If it is a shooter and functions well. I'm gonna keep it. If it's not my cup of tea, it's going down the road.

Great choice Sir. I for one hope you won't be disappointed. As soon as my fun account recovers from taking my family to Disney, I'll be starting my search for 2 more Deerfield carbines, 1 for each son.

Anything less than $650 is a steal around these parts for the 44 carbines

Boolit Master

I've got one of the early one too and love it! Matter of fact I just had it out today and just cleaned it.
    I put a red dot on years ago to see if I liked a dot and it's been on ever since, mine will handle 180-300 gr just gotta be careful of the COL. If it's a tad long the bullet seems to seat in the rifling and makes it hard to unchamber a live round but they sure do put a whitetail down!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I had a 1980 model and a Super Blackhawk at the same time. The revolver outshot the carbine at 100 yds. It was fun to shoot, though. Thick brush gun for sure. The Deerfield sounds better per bluelund! Good hunting y'all. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master

I put a Leupold 4x scope on it I had laying around. It did fairly well. 100 yard accuracy wasn't spectacular but still minute of whitetail. I'll develop some loads for it and see how it does. I was shooting 240gr XTPs with 296.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I was mistaken. It was the tube fed Ruger M44 Carbine. It has a 102 serial number so it was made in 1980 going by the serial numbers at Ruger. I figured for roughly 5 bills, I wasn't gonna get hurt. It is now my one and only 44 Mag. I've got some 240gr XTP to load up. Probably on the warm side with 296. I bought some bases and will throw a scope on it. If it is a shooter and functions well. I'm gonna keep it. If it's not my cup of tea, it's going down the road.
    You have one of the handiest thicket thumpers ever built. They are also a favorite dirt-slinger while busting cans in rapid succession by anyone that has a chance to play with one... The only "drawback", generally speaking, is the tube-fed lay-out (in a detachable-mag crazed era)... Although it doesn't bother me one bit.
    They're not precision accurate, they will never be, but they are superbly effective for dense cover medium game harvesting.

Personally, I'd keep the loads "moderate", at best. The extra barrel length, and absence of any gas pressure losing cylinder gap, will give easy gains over velocity performance from revolvers.
    The main problem is that these firearms can/will develope fractures of main components with "heavy" loads. When they do, you will find those same critical components are no longer available, and Ruger will NOT be able to help.

So use it, enjoy it, hunt the heck out of it... but try to keep the loads on the lower side so that you can hand it down later in working condition... The deer will never notice a difference.