WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thoughts on a new safe?

Boolit Master
    I have recent experience with an inexpensive "safe" (maybe $800 back when I bought it 15 years ago). The locked door jammed as the connections to the make the bolts move failed. Took a professional safe cracker about 40 seconds to pry it open with a pry bar. Probably could have done it quicker if I had not been standing there talking to him. A good dog or two and a centrally monitored alarm system will provide the start of protection. The fellow who reported that thieves have figured out just to make the owner of the safe open it presents another problem to solve. Have owner open safe, extract firearms, insert owner...

Boolit Mold
    I love the nightstand gun safe more because they are more safe and easy to access anytime.
    https://shootfirearm.com/best-nightstand-gun-safes/

Boolit Bub
    Depending if I'm just storing a single handgun, my favorite solution is something like a Fort Knox simplex that's been cabled.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by wildphilhickup View Post
    I buy "used" good quality safes. Much cheaper than new. I install a CO2 system inside of my safes. IF there was a fire in the home, as soon as the internal temperature of the safe reaches 190F, the system discharges. The temperature inside of the safe will go down to less than 40F almost immediately. Now the fire rating time interval is "Re-Started". So if it was 45 minutes, it just became something greater than 45 minutes at the time of the CO2 discharge. And there is enough of a discharge from inside the safe to the outside to actually dampen any fire that may be in close proximity.
    Could you expound on this CO2 system?
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master
    Safes are a PITA and provide a false sense of security. Get good insurance, and something like ADT. I have two safes and I am considering getting rid of them. I already have ADT and decent insurance. My most expensive guns are a K-80Trap Special and a K-80 combo. When I was using them two or three times a week they never made it to the safe anyway. Taking them out of their fitted cases, sticking them in an overcrowded safe then a couple of days later opening the safe and putting them back into their cases gets old.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Safes are a PITA and provide a false sense of security.
    Are we talking safes or residential security containers? Because one fits your description and the other doesn’t. Safes provide actual security in the form of time. Any safe can be defeated w/ enough time so buy security that’s comparable to what you’re trying to protect. I didn’t go through this older thread to see if I mentioned TL rated safes. This is the level where actual security starts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345