RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a new safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I looked for something with the thickest steel I could find. I purchased a locally made safe with 1/4" steel all around that was delivered and installed for a reasonable price. I am sure someone who knows what they are doing can get into it if they have the tools. I am not too worried with two large inside dogs and a monitored alarm system. The sheriff deputies generally make it to our area in less than 10 minutes if an alarm goes off.
    If your safe an AMOUR VAULT / Southwest Engineering?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    If your safe an AMOUR VAULT / Southwest Engineering?
    http://armorvault.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I bought one in 1994 after seeing them at the Tulsa Gun Show,

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I bought one in 1994 after seeing them at the Tulsa Gun Show,
    I am happy with mine. I consider it a good value from what I have seen in stores.

Boolit Master
    Check with Bear Safes also in OKC.

Boolit Mold
    The best gun safe is a storage space specifically meant for firearms used in homes and businesses to defend against intruders or burglars. However, with the overwhelming number of safes available in the market, these days purchasing one may prove to be a difficult decision. https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-safe-reviews/

Quote Originally Posted by peterkenwitty View Post
    The best gun safe is a storage space specifically meant for firearms used in homes and businesses to defend against intruders or burglars. However, with the overwhelming number of safes available in the market, these days purchasing one may prove to be a difficult decision. https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-safe-reviews/
    That link is a joke. Not actual reviews, more like ads for products they're selling.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    That link is a joke. Not actual reviews, more like ads for products they're selling.
    Agree, there is no way a StackOn product would be included in a "best of" article. Their products have their place but they are bottom of the barrel. Same thing for Winchester safes.

Boolit Master

Use " Burglar Bombs" in the room and inside the safe. Any crook going to hang around for the gas to clear?
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Use " Burglar Bombs" in the room and inside the safe. Any crook going to hang around for the gas to clear?
    Sure fire way to end up in prison.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Sure fire way to end up in prison.
    Burglar Bombs are devices that discharge pepper spray making anyone in the area want to leave immediately. I accidentally set one off in an outbuilding. It will keep you away for 20 minutes or so.

https://www.burglarbomb.com/

Boolit Master

Thoughts on a new safe?

American Security (Amsec) BF or RF line of safes is the way to go if you are serious about slowing down the bad guys. The BF line are very high quality RSC (residential security containers) which almost qualify as a B-rated safe. The RF line is a true safe with a TL-30 rating.

The steel in the BF and RF Amsec safes are measured in inches not gauges and their fire ratings are incredible. The safe my father bought would now be considered a BF HD and I believe it has a 1/2" plate of steel on the door and two 1/8" steel inner and outer walls for a total of a 1/4" of steel.

In the end it really depends on the value of your collection and how hard it would be to replace. A friend once told me that the money spent on the safe should reflect about 10% of the value of the contents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 04-19-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Banned

^^^
    If you have the $$$ makes sense
    I went with Zanotti Armor
    Not a real safe, but a decent home secuity unit

Boolit Master

Never heard of anyone using burglar bomb getting in trouble, post the sign provided. Does not kill or maim.OTOH a gator in the room would do the trick, plenty around here,LOL.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Never heard of anyone using burglar bomb getting in trouble, post the sign provided. Does not kill or maim.OTOH a gator in the room would do the trick, plenty around here,LOL.
    Send me one, I'll pay for shipping and hardship I always wanted a gator

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    While reading these posts I thought about my arrangement. Got my guns in a safe but all my casting, reloading gear, components, ammo etc. are sitting out in the open. Figuring the cost of that gear approaches what I have locked in the safe. Guess if you are going to be burgled there in no practical way to protect everything. Maybe investing in a very loud burglar alarm might be a good option.
    Making me rethink things, now. I'm the same way, huge gun safe in the corner ( it's empty gun thief's), and thousands of $ of reloading gear and components neatly stacked in same room. My father had a small wall safe in his workshop that he kept a few rolls of coins and some bills in that you would see as soon as you entered the shop. Could break into it with a screwdriver ( hanging on wall a few feet away with the other tools), but had a really good wall safe that the important stuff went into that was well secure, well secured to shop wall, and well concealed from prying eyes. Figured someone breaking in would take the low hanging fruit and run.

Was also thinking, Does any one have a trail cam set up either facing the reloading room or one hidden inside. Would be nice to have a snapshot of the rat bast@rd trying to steal your stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    Was also thinking, Does any one have a trail cam set up either facing the reloading room or one hidden inside. Would be nice to have a snapshot of the rat bast@rd trying to steal your stuff.
    Yes, I have one. It's how I caught a family member taking money out of my safe. Since then I no longer leave my keys out when I'm away. The family member had to go into my filing cabinet to get the combination first. Good news is that the family member is getting help, and I'm no longer losing money or lead.

Boolit Master

Here's the answer to many questions about the safes most of would get. Even if you spend say $4000 for a safe you really only have a fire safe maybe and one that will keep the kids out of your stuff. If you want a "real safe" they are in the $15,000 dollar range up and it takes a few men to move it into your garage or where you might want it. Nope it will not stay on the average floor of a house with a cellar. Yes they are way heavy think around 2 ton empty up. Some day if I get more money than I know what to do with I will get in touch with my locksmith and get one until then I get what I can afford to keep my papers in that I might need some day.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast