RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsWisconsin Trigger

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts on a new safe?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Never heard of anyone using burglar bomb getting in trouble, post the sign provided. Does not kill or maim.OTOH a gator in the room would do the trick, plenty around here,LOL.

I have two Maligators and they work quite well at keeping folks away from my Rhino safe which I have been very happy with.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've been very happy with a Browning Pro-steel for many years now .

Nice photo of the dog by the way !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Mine is setting over a lamented beam in the basement. Guess what will happen if it is moved any........Only one side and the front exposed to my sisters house next door. Shes a noisy old biddy..
    This was an old trick used in rural post offices back in the day. They would set the safe on a concrete pillar coming up from the cellar. If someone roped it up to a vehicle or team of horses, it would end up in the basement. Often with the thief.

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Here's the answer to many questions about the safes most of would get. Even if you spend say $4000 for a safe you really only have a fire safe maybe and one that will keep the kids out of your stuff. If you want a "real safe" they are in the $15,000 dollar range up and it takes a few men to move it into your garage or where you might want it. Nope it will not stay on the average floor of a house with a cellar. Yes they are way heavy think around 2 ton empty up. Some day if I get more money than I know what to do with I will get in touch with my locksmith and get one until then I get what I can afford to keep my papers in that I might need some day.
    If you have a serious collection of antique stuff (or you're into NFA items), then you might want to go visit your local locksmith shops and leave them your number. Tell them you're looking for a used B-rate or similar commercial safe, and you're willing to pay for them to move and service it. You might even get a "You haul it away" offer. In any case, you can get very good protection for a lot less than a new TL safe, especially if you don't mind it having an outdated insurance rating.
    Last edited by arclight; 06-11-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I buy "used" good quality safes. Much cheaper than new. I install a CO2 system inside of my safes. IF there was a fire in the home, as soon as the internal temperature of the safe reaches 190F, the system discharges. The temperature inside of the safe will go down to less than 40F almost immediately. Now the fire rating time interval is "Re-Started". So if it was 45 minutes, it just became something greater than 45 minutes at the time of the CO2 discharge. And there is enough of a discharge from inside the safe to the outside to actually dampen any fire that may be in close proximity.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Mine is setting over a lamented beam in the basement. Guess what will happen if it is moved any........Only one side and the front exposed to my sisters house next door. Shes a noisy old biddy..
    Condolences on the beam.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    A good many years ago I worked with a guy that had been up twice for B&E, he said the second time cured him. He said that they backed up to a rear basement door with a box truck, used a chainsaw to cut a hole in the door. Then he ran upstairs and walked around the safe with the saw and dropped it in the basement, loaded it and gone. It didn't take much over 5 minutes. Everything was cased out planned and timed. He also stated that he couldn't steal what he couldn't find and he didn't take much time to look.

The last time I saw him he had started a moving company, not sure how that worked out. I guess he just couldn't stop hauling stuff out of peoples houses.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234