Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a new safe?

Thoughts on a new safe?

Hello all -

Wasn't totally sure where to post this, so it landed here. I'm looking at a new gun safe, and the Sports Afield SA5940 model from Costco caught my eye. It's a 40 gun safe, has 14 gauge steel walls and 9 - 1" steel bolts for locking with a fire rating of 1500 degrees for 30 minutes. Price on this bad boy is set to go to $600 at the end of the month. I don't need the best, but don't want garbage either. If anybody has any advice, opinions, reviews, etc I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Banned
    Oh my ears and whiskers!!! Oh to need a 40 gun safe. It's the stuff dreams are made of. (I live in England BTW.) I'm not doing too bad I suppose, but I'd only just over half fill it at present.

Banned

Home "safes" are safes in name only. The goal is to slow people down. There have been a few threads on this topic.
    http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-...best-gun-safe/
    I went with Zanotti Armor as it can be broken down into pieces and relocated easily if you move, but it was an 8 month wait and cost a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    Oh my ears and whiskers!!! Oh to need a 40 gun safe. It's the stuff dreams are made of. (I live in England BTW.) I'm not doing too bad I suppose, but I'd only just over half fill it at present.
    I've heard the rule of thumb is to cut the number in half and that is how many you can stash in there. I planned on using it to store magazines, documents and other valuables, etc.

Yeah, I wasn't looking to spend a bundle necessarily. And I had heard before that they were more just deterrents, but I wanted something that wasn't a pile of **** lol

Banned

I say go for it. I got one from Costco too but I wanted it to keep kids away from my toys. It works great for that and I enjoy hearing it open and close.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

From that article, I almost feel like it isn't even worth it to spend my money on a gun safe at all. Not one that I can afford anyways.

Boolit Master

Get one with a carousel that will hold your most used guns
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

I would go with the Costco sourced safe. When I moved some of the guns from Moapa to Kalispell (got to have toys where your at without hauling them back and forth), I brought one safe and bought one from the Costco store. The Costco safes are of good quality and when on sale provide good value. Many of my rifles are MilSurp with longer barrels, which interferes with having a useable "Top Shelf". This can be an issue depending on your applications. I can store some ammo and odds & ends on that shelf as it is only about 4" tall. Been thinking of acquiring another Safe (probably from Costco or Sam's Club) for storing hand guns, scopes, etc...

Personally I would go for the Costco Safe.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    From that article, I almost feel like it isn't even worth it to spend my money on a gun safe at all. Not one that I can afford anyways.
    Even a gun cabinet is better than nothing. I spent about half what a real safe would cost and a thief could easily cut through it. Mine is better than most home gun safes but in the end you just want to slow down the goblins and hope they take the low hanging fruit and run off without your guns.

True. I have a gun cabinet, but it is overcrowded now.

I know the other thing is to keep the safe in a relatively out-of-sight place, that that also helps prevent theft. Perhaps I'll pass on this, and keep saving while I determine the best location in the house.

Boolit Master

Maybe one just needs to look at it "realistically", that is to say just what are your chances of having someone invade your home with a cutting torch or carbide saw?

If a burglary ring knows what you have and wants it - well, I guess they just might bring the necessary tools and with proper planning, they will probably get what they came for.

In most instances, they enter your home and look in "all the right places" for your valuables and if they run across your safe and have the time - they'll use your tools to mess up the dial etc but won't get into the safe - now if it's a very inexpensive safe, mainly to keep your 12yoa and under children from entering, then about anyone can get in with a crowbar or heavy screwdriver.

I have the American Security BF7240 which will keep out everyone, except the burglar who came prepared to punch a hole in the side. Fire rating will keep the inside safe temperature at 350 degrees or less for 90 minutes in a 1200 degree burn - I live in town with a full-time fire department, so my fire rating should hold.

I would think that Costco safe would work for your intended purposes - and yes, with scoped rifles etc - you will be lucky to get 50% of the rated firearms into your safe - 40 rifle capacity, think maybe 15.

Boolit Grand Master

Having to use a "safe" is just an inconvenience to both you and a would-be thief. A home defence gun in a safe is no better than the broom behind the door. If your intent is to keep young fingers from danger, anything with a locked door is sufficient. If you fear theft, a safe is only a time deterrent or inconvenience, that any determined thief will overcome it.
    The fire ratings on "safes" are determined differently, and can't be compared apples to apples.
    Electrical or digital locks fail, as do the old dial type. Both require maintenance beyond the scope of many of us.
    The Costco mentioned is as good as most and will likely serve you for many years. I'm sure you will find other objects that need protection such as important papers and valuable jewellery.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy the biggest one you can afford and have space for. It was already mentioned that the factory spec. should be halved. A rifle in every slot will have the bolt handles hitting the adjoining stock, plus it is difficult to navigate selecting the one you are after. The carousel in the newer safes appears to solve some of the problems of removing a rifle from the safe, but may take up more room....round peg in a square hole, plus the bolt handles still will hit the adjoining stock.

Boolit Master
    "Maybe one just needs to look at it "realistically", that is to say just what are your chances of having someone invade your home with a cutting torch or carbide saw?"

That right there!^^

I bought two SnapSafe "Titan" safes (two due to the size and layout of the room I chose to keep them in). They aren't Fort Knox but my neighborhood is full of amateurs, if they decide to waste most of the day trying to break in with simple hand tools they'll only get half at most. They're more likely to give up and take a handful of more easily replaceable stuff.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one a year ago. I went with an AMSEC (American Security) over a Liberty because I thought from my research the Liberty's somewhat better ratings were not worth the money. I'm more worried about casual druggy types than professionals in this area, and fire. Fire being more of a a fear than burglars. I DID put a Liberty alarm inside it. Cheap, effective and simple.

I am very happy with the safe and the finish inside for the guns. I would buy one again. It's heavy and appears very well made. But it wasn't $600! I would make the suggestion if you buy a $600 safe, expect $600 worth of protection. With guns worth 3 to 4 times that, well, you know my choice.

YMMV
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    The job boxes pretty solid. I could see the padlocks being the weak point but if the boneheads don't have a drill you're probably ok.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

14ga is a joke. And so are fire ratings. The job box posted above mine will give you more security at a lower cost.

Something is better than nothing at all. But if you want real protection the entry level is a Sturdy of Amsec. If you live in an urban area you may be able to find a used security safe and repurpose it for a lot less cost than a new one. If you want real protection look at TL-15 and TL-30 safes w/ UL fire ratings. Those are actual safes.

Boolit Master

I looked for something with the thickest steel I could find. I purchased a locally made safe with 1/4" steel all around that was delivered and installed for a reasonable price. I am sure someone who knows what they are doing can get into it if they have the tools. I am not too worried with two large inside dogs and a monitored alarm system. The sheriff deputies generally make it to our area in less than 10 minutes if an alarm goes off.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast