RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Shooting sticks

Boolit Bub

Shooting sticks

I have thought about getting a set that folds up ( https://www.natchezss.com/shooter-s-...s-38-camo.html ) for varmint hunting. I stalk field edges as well as find a good over watch spot and sit. Shots range from 50-400 yards. These sticks are only about $8. Anybody have experience with them?

I have a few bipods, but sometimes I want a lighter weight option. There is also the walking stick style that has a rubberized notch on the top (fixed length and collapsible options available).

Boolit Master
    I have made a couple sets of my own over the years, out of wooden dowels from the hardware store. I drill a hole in the middle and then run a brass machine screw with a washer in the middle. I have tapered the points down or added a way for them to stick in the dirt better. Occasionally I have painted them or left them a natural color. I don't think I have ever spent more than $10 to make a pair. I used to compete in muzzleloader matches with some of mine, they're great.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Grand Master
    oh yes I use them and have used them for years
    for all hunting from fox to deer would not go with out
    them make shots at game easy stable and portable
    once you get the hang of using them your gtg
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I bought one of these on a whim, but have grown to like using it even in my stand.
    https://www.natchezss.com/primos-gen...t-monopod.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215HEGVR-vL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	211566

They make bipod and tripod versions as well, but I use it as a walking stick too so this monopod one is a better fit for me. I've taken a few deer while using it and it really helps lessen the movement while still hunting, the trigger lets you raise or lower it very quietly (don't drop it, raise it from the ground up or it will make noise when it hits the ground) and it doesn't take long to setup a shot.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

I use them....2 crossed sticks from the kneeling position...
    I made mine out of branches from the fir tree which I skinned and shaved down.
    I very seldom shoot without them..either at the range or in the field.
    basically just a couple of sticks lashed together....simple
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    I have one similar to that one, Omega, but it does not have the trigger. I am not a huge fan because it is slow and noisy. Thank you everyone for the replies. I will be looking at a few more options and seeing what I can get to work with my recent foray into handgun hunting.

Boolit Master
    Two pieces of dowel or molding from Home Depot. Bolt, plastic washers and a wingnut. Varnish to waterproof and wrap rifle contact areas with leather thong or jute twine.

Two dowels/sticks and several of those bands that turn young bulls into steers.

Boolit Bub
    I found two ski poles at a thrift store. Very strong. Wrapped Styrofoam followed by camo tape to quiet them. Great when descending hills to!

Boolit Grand Master

A simple walking stick can be handy and help steady you. Cross ticks are simple to make and better from stability but harder carry since they tie up a hand and offer no support when walking. A couple heavy dowels with threaded couplings so they could be put together in one straight pole for walking. a quick release pin and the holes. In use. A straight pole for walking in stalking. then when on stand unscrew set up with pin thru holes. A brass tube glued in for the quick release pin would make sturdier and longer lasting. Leather thong wrapped around would five padding for barrel/stock and if located right would make a comfortable hand hold