Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: redfield peep sight

Banned

redfield peep sight

i finally got the chance to shoot my 30-40 krag. i've had it in the safe since sometime this spring when i put on my redfield peep sight. i just never sighted the krag in. but boy i should have! the old rear sight looked alot like this....

i had a real hard time trying to line it up. and the peep sight, well i couldn't find the front sight, it was just too dang small. i could do a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" target at 100 yards(5 shots) if everything went right and the gods believed in me!!! oh, i forgot about the planets' alignment with the stars, never forget that one!!!

but the redfield peep sight has changed all of that. after i got it where i want it(starting at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards), i began shooting at 100 yards. i should have brought some pictures(i don't have a cell phone because i have a hard time talking due to my stroke). i think i did extremely well. i use a 165gr ranch dog over 25.5gr of h4198, what i use to hunt deer with. the groups that i have shot go from 3/4 - 1 3/8" at 100 yards(5 shots). the best i gotten so far was 5/8" at 100 yards, if you take only 3 shots, it goes roughly under a 1/2"!!! (i used a lead sled plus.)

i feel as if its basic training(army) again!! i haven't shot a peep sight on a rifle since i got out(1997). the peep sight lined up with the front sight almost magically. it was like i was shooting m16 again. them old redfield's do work. no more will i line up on a deer and not shoot because i am worried i can/can't do the front sight. that little rear sight(by little i do mean LITTLE) is now a peep sight. when i first used the 30-40 and cast boolits, i had to look 3 or four times to use the rear sight. it also took me 3 or 4 times to kill my first cast boolit doe.

i wish i could have shot more, i only had 40 rounds. next time i go it will be a whole lot more!!!

redfield peep sight

Boolit Master

Congratulations
    You did GREAT
    What joy, what JOY
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Very nice on the rifle. A cell phone might work quite well for you if you use it to text. No speaking required and it allows you to stay in touch and a bit comforting and useful should an emergency occur.

James

Boolit Master

Aperture Sights

I could never really use the "Sergeant's peep sight" on the 1898 Krag sight either, but I can shoot the rifle well with the standard notch in the rear sight.

Looks like you've rediscovered the utility and ease of use of a good aperture sight. Just can't argue with that. I've been using aperture sights since high school on military rifles, match rifles, hunting rifles and just plain fun plinking rifles.

A few examples of the genre.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springfield 1903 NM sight 1.jpg   Mauser 35 Whelen 02 800-90%.jpg   Redfield Aperture 2.jpg   No 4 03.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i finally got the chance to shoot my 30-40 krag. i've had it in the safe since sometime this spring when i put on my redfield peep sight. i just never sighted the krag in. but boy i should have! the old rear sight looked alot like this....

i had a real hard time trying to line it up. and the peep sight, well i couldn't find the front sight, it was just too dang small. i could do a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" target at 100 yards(5 shots) if everything went right and the gods believed in me!!! oh, i forgot about the planets' alignment with the stars, never forget that one!!!

but the redfield peep sight has changed all of that. after i got it where i want it(starting at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards), i began shooting at 100 yards. i should have brought some pictures(i don't have a cell phone because i have a hard time talking due to my stroke). i think i did extremely well. i use a 165gr ranch dog over 25.5gr of h4198, what i use to hunt deer with. the groups that i have shot go from 3/4 - 1 3/8" at 100 yards(5 shots). the best i gotten so far was 5/8" at 100 yards, if you take only 3 shots, it goes roughly under a 1/2"!!! (i used a lead sled plus.)

i feel as if its basic training(army) again!! i haven't shot a peep sight on a rifle since i got out(1997). the peep sight lined up with the front sight almost magically. it was like i was shooting m16 again. them old redfield's do work. no more will i line up on a deer and not shoot because i am worried i can/can't do the front sight. that little rear sight(by little i do mean LITTLE) is now a peep sight. when i first used the 30-40 and cast boolits, i had to look 3 or four times to use the rear sight. it also took me 3 or 4 times to kill my first cast boolit doe.

i wish i could have shot more, i only had 40 rounds. next time i go it will be a whole lot more!!!

redfield peep sight

Very cool post with pictures my friend. And very cool that you didn't let a few limitations from the stroke hold you back...adapt and keep on living. Great story also on your toughness.
    I'm looking for some peep sights to add in my leverguns...they're time proven and just plain fun!

Awesome job big guy!!!

-Butchman

I like receiver sights and Krag rifles too! Recently discovered that the Pacific sight for the US Krag can be pretty easily adapted to the Norwegian Krag. This one has the original Pacific aperture, I'd like to have one of the Merit adjustable apertures. This is on a Norwegian with a 1950's Austrian made barrel in .243, (gasp). Not to worry, I'll consider start loads max loads. In the future, it might become something that factory ammo can't be found for. I just want to play with it with cast loads for a short time, before giving it to my grandson.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camp perry 2016 029.JPG  
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 11-25-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    thanks guys!!!

the after effects of my stroke really left me down for about a year. i used to be able to go hunting in the thickest stuff i could find, now i'm lucky to go 20-40 yards into the woods with a good trail!!! it still bothers me i can not get into my tree stand, i'm about to try steps for my double tree stand with only one ladder. it was hard for me to figure out just what i have lost(being the right arm/leg), but i think i have got it, sometimes.

like this past archery season. i stopped the polaris utv and then i started to climb up a hill(about 45deg or so) 20-30 yard so i could sit on my little plastic chair. i've only gotten there 3 or 4 times, so i thought " i got it". unfortunatly, half way up the trail, i fell. it takes quite a bit to stand up while your using only one leg, trust me. so now when i go up to my chair, it takes me 50 yards up the trail, and 50 yards down to my chair, at about say 20deg. this is coming from a guy that walks on the road 1/2 mile out, a 1/2 mile back. it takes me about an hour to do.

then i had my utv's gas pedal switched to the brake pedal. a bog pod(3 legged) that goes with my crossbow, primos shooting(2 legged) that goes with my rifles, the polaris that goes to my deer blind(yep, a polaris deer blind) and a whole host of other things that were specially designed(dad does most of them) just for me.

i've had my stroke only about a month after i turned 39. i'm 44 now and i haven't given up just yet.