went to the range yesterday..shot these off-hand (kneeling) at 50 yds
    for the 30-30 and .308 I used the 170 gr spitzer type..sized .309
    for the 35 whelen I used the 200gr Herters....sized .358

no leading on any of the rifles

at 100 yds I used sticks and could constantly break clays with all rifles
    just having fun
    atr
    Attachment 186249Attachment 186250Attachment 186251
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

Well you can't argue with a fun day at the range, particularly when you're hitting what you're aiming at.

Nice shooting from the kneeling position and from the sticks. I see so many of the members at my club who have no idea how to shoot a rifle from anything but a bench rest.

I see that you're up on Vashon Island. If you ever get down to South Puget Sound, let me know and we'll arrange a day of shooting at the Paul Bunyan Club.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

thanks Scharf,
    I will certainly let you know if I get down your way....and if you are up near Vashon, come on over a and shoot with me.

I haven't used the bench in a couple of years. I shoot from the kneeling or from the kneeling with sticks position and sometimes from the prone position.

atr

Boolit Master

Position Shooting

I haven't used the bench in a couple of years. I shoot from the kneeling or from the kneeling with sticks position and sometimes from the prone position.
    If you have an M1 Garand, M1A or AR15, you should consider shooting at a CMP or NRA match in the service rifle catagory. It's all position shooting from 200 through 600 yards, although there are reduced range courses at 100 yards. The NRA match rifle class is also fun, same positions, but more flexibility in rifle design.

A few shots from the 200 yard line. Off hand slow fire (1 round per minute) and sitting rapid fire (10 rounds in 60 seconds with a reload).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sats 05-1200-90-cropped.jpg   Sats 07-800-70%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Scharf,
    the only military rifles I own are Enfields, a Mauser and a Rolling Block. My shooting is very dependent on my eyesight so I usually use rifles that are scoped. Shooting at longer ranges would be a real treat because our local range is only 100 yds. When I go over to my place in the Okanogan I sometimes hike to open areas where I can set up a 1 gallon paint can at 200 and 300 and 400 yds.
    atr

Boolit Master
    Use a fatter bullet in your 30-30 and should do better. Frank

Boolit Master

hi Frank
    I just had some lying around that were .309...I usually run them to .311 and they do give better results
    Attachment 186708Attachment 186709

Boolit Buddy
    Results for C312-155-R2 over 29.2g R-15 @ 50 yds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C312155R2_3030.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	186807
    I was pleased with this grouping. This was with a Savage 325C with peep sights. I also sized to 0.311.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Scharf,
    the only military rifles I own are Enfields, a Mauser and a Rolling Block. My shooting is very dependent on my eyesight so I usually use rifles that are scoped. Shooting at longer ranges would be a real treat because our local range is only 100 yds. When I go over to my place in the Okanogan I sometimes hike to open areas where I can set up a 1 gallon paint can at 200 and 300 and 400 yds.
    atr
    As of last year, the NRA and the CMP will now allow flat top AR15 rifles/carbines to use up to a 4.5 X scope sight or a red dot sight. That's because so many combat arms troopers are now using optics in theater.

Sadly my eyesight is going too, so I just built up a flat top to take advantage of the new service rifle rules and shoot the National Match course for a few more years.

As far as the 30/30 goes, I've had good accuracy with both the .309" and .310" diameters. I'm currently sizing to .310" although I haven't noticed any real increase in accuracy with my Model 94. It remains a 2 to 2 1/2 MOA rifle through 200 yards with either diameter. It's shot 1 MOA 10 shot groups with Sierra jacketed 30/30 bullets using its aperture sight, although it hasn't seen a jacketed bullet in a couple of decades now.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Regardless of the age of the 30-30 if one does use it in a long bbld 1894 and a good bolt action you'd be amazed at what it can do. rem 788 and Savage 340 do not last long when offered on the want to sell section. Good single shot rifle in 30 wcf will really shoot. I've got a Win model 54 action that was made in 30-30 back in 1928. Even with the sewer pipe bore and jacketed bullets that rifle shot very well. Frank

Boolit Master
    If either of you two go to the Washington Arms Collector shows in Puyallup, we should sit down with a cup of coffee.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    If either of you two go to the Washington Arms Collector shows in Puyallup, we should sit down with a cup of coffee.
    That's a doable plan quilbilly. I missed the show this last weekend, but I should make the show in late March if I'm not in Arizona for a long range shoot.

Let's coordinate a week out from the next or any upcoming show.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

I haven't been to the Wash. Arms collector in Puyallup in many years....that being said meeting up with you both over a cup of coffee sounds good. I will keep my eye on the March schedule. However I may be hiking into my cabin up in the Okanogan about that time....
    atr

Boolit Master

I'm going to send each of you Washington denizens a quick PM in order to keep our com channel open. It's just to maintain PM addresses and nothing more.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I haven't been to the Wash. Arms collector in Puyallup in many years....that being said meeting up with you both over a cup of coffee sounds good. I will keep my eye on the March schedule. However I may be hiking into my cabin up in the Okanogan about that time....
    atr
    The way the weather is going this year, you will need snowshoes or skis in the Okanogans in March. I am putting off my annual walleye fishing trip (and long range shooting practice) in the Seep Lakes until early April instead of March.

Boolit Master

I know ...I use snow-shoes to get into my place....its a 3 mile hike one way all uphill....the snow up near my place is almost 4 ft deep right now. I've never been to Seep Lakes, I will have to look that place up on the map.
    lets stay in touch
    atr

Boolit Master
    Just look northwest of Othello. I have a hidden campsite about 100 yards above a lake with a little shade and a small creek. Just leave the boat parked on the beach. It's all public land in the area with a public launch and is in the scablands. Rarely even see another fisherman on the lake. Big bass too (both largemouth and smallmouth). Lets do keep in touch!

I've heard the bass are great at seep lakes, never been fishing over there though...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

quilbilly,

Yes I found your site on Google Earth, and I love Bass fishing.
    The two lakes closest to me are the upper and lower lakes at Conconully, mostly trout but some bass in the upper lake. I am about 5 miles up in the mountains from there.
    The other lake is Palmer which is further north but which has both bass bass and Kokanee.....Kokanee are really fun to catch

I am hoping to hike into my cabin the last week of February, weather permitting. My contacts up there say I may have as much as 6 ft of snow on the ground.

Yes lets keep in touch.
    atr

Boolit Master
    The best bass fishing in my 60 years of chasing the fish all over the U.S. was at Whitestone Lake not too far from your cabin. I was out in an aluminum boat with graphite fishing rods in a thunderstorm and caught over 25 largemouths over 7# in a little over an hour. So what if the lightning was ground striking less than a mile away! Just kept on catching. Remember the movie "Caddly Shack" and the priest in the thunderstorm? I didn't care.
    Those lakes in the Seeps aren't quite that good but they are good. Rarely see another angler. Coyote calling is great as well as quail hunting. Deer were huge and numerous until the blue tongue disease hit about 18 months ago and it was a heartbreaking carnage but I will check this spring for survivors. MT. St. Helens ash wiped out the antelope, jackrabbits, and cottontails in 1980 but only a few new cottontails are around there now. If you are over this way by the Canal, let me know so we can have lunch at the Twanoh Cafe in Quilcene or over at the Geoduck Tavern in Brinnon (this applies to anyone on the board by the way).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast