RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to get better at in 2017???

What do you want to get better at in 2017???

I am a pistol guy, even though I own and shoot rifles fairly well.
    It is probably a given among us to have several different handguns or rifles we would like to purchase in 2017.
    But what would you like to achieve in your shooting skill set in the next year?
    Do you set improvement goals?
    Whether it is improving your presentation, offhand shooting or tightening your groups from the kneeling position, how do you plan on going about and making those improvements?
    Maybe there is some gear that you want to buy in this next year that will help you with those personal challenges ... what accessories do you plan to add in the next year?
    We typically see, I'm gonna buy this new handgun or I'm going to go hunting in this location for next year.
    What do you want to get better at in terms of handgunning??? Whether it be match shooting, hunting, varminting, steel, SD, or even general plinking...
    Do you have friendly challenges among your buddies, reaching certain goals, or meeting certain challenges in terms of handgun in any type?
    What do you want to get better at?
    What are you willing to do to make it happen?
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Master
    I just want to hit the pop cans at 25 yards with my 45acp and a paper plate at 50 yards with my 6 in 357 most of the time . Life long shooting and loading but at 50 years old just started getting serious with the short guns .

Working on tightening up my group with my magnum handguns. Started loading some lighter rounds so that I can practice not flinching from anticipating the recoil. I can hit a paper plate at 50 to 75 yards from a rest but would like to see it while shooting free hand. May be hard because the eyes are not what they used to be.

Banned

I want to go backwards and get young again! With all I have learned it is wasted with the shaking.
    Gun shops need to sell pixie dust or some magic elixir.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to learn to consistently hit an index card at 25-30yds offhand with my pistols. Right now that's dependant on trigger time. If also like to become more proficient at casting and reloading so I have higher quality ammo to shoot. Given all this depends on how accurate a progressive press is. So I'm not gonna set my standards extremely high unless I go back to a single stage and hand weigh every charge. But I'd like to figure out my Dillon powder measure so it meters the powders I use within .1 gn. Those powders would be unique, bullseye, AA#7, and h322

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I just turned 62 years old on Sunday.
    I fully intend to retire sometime in the next 6-8 months (my wife wants me to start the process immediately).
    I have stocked up reloading supplies and some new firearms this year and fully intend to spend more time at my gun club and at the reloading bench. I will finally have the time and opportunity to do some serious load development with at least a half dozen rifles and quite a few (30+) handguns. I may even start casting bullets rather than buying all my cast lead bullets.
    Hopefully, that will translate into smaller groups with rifles and handguns.

I want/need to work on my trigger control. I need to get the nervous twitch out of the process. I can still hold fairly steady but that convulsion that happens just before the gun goes bang is a problem.

Boolit Master
    Supermag if you could give casting a try it opens up so much more than just cheap boolits , it gave me the ability to do so much more shooting with my handguns , like you for years I purchased boxes of boolits but since casting I have went so much deeper into loading and shooting . You will be able to produce the size and shape of your Boolit with the hardness your after and lube you prefer . O k I'll stop it's just I

Boolit Master

I'm with 44man!

although I was never at the top of any competition, I was very good during my military career.
    being a 19D I was exposed to many of the 'service' firearms and learned to appreciate the different skills required to effectively employ them.
    german marksmanship badge was a real feather in my cap to me.

fast forward, while I may not have the 'years', I have the 'miles' and I am nowhere near as capable as I once was.

SO, long story short;
    I want to really focus on good revolver practices using 'hunting' loads in the Blackhawk.
    sight picture, trigger pull, and refresh my ability to 'range' a target.
    holster to engagement to harvest.

'monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned

What I want most of all is to meet all of you. I want all of you to feel the same for each other too.

Well my plans for this year is to actually start casting my own! Been researching and have a good idea of how to start after lurking around on here for a while, and by Christmastime I should be up and going at least small time.

I also plan on building a pistol range on a little piece of property I have outside the city, and getting back to shooting my 44 mags for range. Used to be very accurate, now I'm just hunting passable. It justs takes trigger time! Also want to wring out a few good loads for my 300blackout, subsonic mostly, and work on some long range shooting. I may even try to get a chronograph this year if I don't spend all my disposable funds on casting stuff... Its gonna be a good year.

I would like to have all of my rifles that I use regularly shoot cast boolit loads into 3" groups at 100 yds. That's not unrealistic is it? I'll just keep trying....some do......

Boolit Master
    At 60, I've got things together pretty well. I need to buy the R-Pod to tow around the southwest. I have most everything else I want. Thank God for Donald Trump!

Boolit Man
    Trigger Control

Boolit Grand Master
    At 67, I'm already retired, but spend a lot of time taking care of elderly parents. I'm hoping that the coming year will give me the opportunity to cast and load more at times that I'm at the house and that it will be possible to get out to both the local indoor and outdoor ranges to try and regain some of my fading skills, but then again "I never was as good as I once was!" I'm also resuming my shotgun reloading (MEC 600 Jr in 20 ga) and shooting some skeet and sporting clays. Here's hoping for some opportunities to do all of this!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Mine aren't all that fancy.
    1) Continue getting better with my 44 special.
    2) Spend some time getting reacquainted with my model 60 since I loaded a bunch rounds (500 rounds is a lot for me on a single stage press) and haven't shot it much in the past 5-6 years.
    3) Wrap up finding a load for my father's 45-90.
    4) Figure out some loads for a couple of 32-20's.
    5) Maybe try figuring out a load for a 30-30.
    6) Figure out paper patching my muzzle loader so it'll be Idaho legal.
    7) If I happen to draw a non resident Idaho tag, ventilate a bull with the 45-90.

Boolit Master
    Basically keep continuing my goals for 2016.
    I joined a club with steel plates on the pistol range. Burned a lot of ammo, had a blast and even improved a little(lot).
    Still need to work trigger control, more arm/upper body strength.
    Hard to hit the target when you cannot hold the gun steady.
    Stop having just coffee for breakfast would help to.

Another goal for this year was casting/reloading.
    I now have a solid working cast load for 45 acp, gone through around 4-5K this year.
    Just got 380 working good.
    Only shot about 500 of my own cast, but have some more loaded up.
    Need to work on 9mm next.

And the newest goal is rifle shooting. Just got an AR or 2.
    Only have a few hundred rounds through the rifle. Just got a scope mounted on it for load development.
    Just loaded another 400 rounds for it today and sewed up some sandbags, so I am ready for another range trip.

So basically going to continue my same goals, ammo and training.
    And get a good spotting scope and a place to shoot over 130 yards.

My pistol goal is to be able to draw and drop all six plates, as fast as possible.

Rifle- accuracy from field positions, as quickly as possible.

Working out and loosing weight would sure help.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I just want to be done with the cancer bug that has been with my family for a while. In my last year and looking forward to retire and use some of the stuff I have acquired since I was 20 something.
    Good Health to all in 2017
    Leadmelter

Amen and good luck Leadmelter.

I want to continue learning about black powder cartridge loading in all of its smelly glory.
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” - Archilochus

Boolit Master
    Pistol-- I want to be able to shoot DA left handed or right handed and still hit a paper-plate size gong out to 25 yards. I had to do that from 7 yards for my CCW and made up my mind that I should be able to do lots better. I practice about 50 rounds a week.

Rifles-- I want more ways to use more powders and more different bullets (cast and jacketed) at more different velocities with all my rifles, and still hit those 3" gongs at 100 yards with a peep sight. It's an engineering mentality-- I want lots of ways-- not just one good load.
    Hick: Iron sights!