RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee .575 roundball load for my Savage 220 (20 Gauge)

Boolit Buddy

Lee .575 roundball load for my Savage 220 (20 Gauge)

LEE 575 round ball load: 1 compact gas seal + 1/8" 28 ga mini nitro to fill the top of the gas seal + 1/4" fiber wad + 1 BPI commander with 1/8" 28ga nitro card to seal the gas base + 1/4" 28ga felt wad in the wad cup + .575 lee RB + roll crimp over 18gr Pro Reach.

I only loaded 3 and shot them at 25 yards off my bipod. Two balls went into one hole and the third clover leafed by half it's diameter into the first hole. I had this target hardbacked by butcher paper and then 1/8" cardboard so I Did Confirm the 2 ball one hole shot lapped in the hard board by about 1/16".

This load fit Perfectly in the Commander Wad (020TC20). It could not have been a better fit. I am going to load a couple of dozen of these and see how they fly at 50 and maybe even 75. I wish I had built more. The recoil was about like a .243 (maybe less).

rch

A 58 cal RB makes a great shotgun slug. I use them in a custom 24 ga slug gun and get 1/2 minute of pie plate at 100 yards. This shotgun has a slow twist (IIRC, 1:56). MV is upper 1,300 fps range.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    BB, you have the perfect RB twist. Do you use a shot cup or patching? My front stuffer rock locks love a good patched RB in a 60tw barrel. Sounds like a "perfect world" custom gun.

I wonder if I could be getting a 1-60tw result by slippage inside the wad combined with a 1-24tw. Off-setting errors kind of thing. Probably not, but man this load was a pretty fit and a great 25 yard load.

rch

rch,

I am using a 24 ga bpi brush wad and 18g of unique, with a roll crimp. The lee 58 cal RB is a few thousandths under groove diameter but it works.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Back from the range. I loaded 25 as above. These are great in MY savage 220. An occasional flyer but only 2 or 3 out of the group. Something in my stack or roll crimp. The recoil is mild, the accuracy through 50 is excellent. I should have paid more attention to the 75 yard marker, but, frankly was having way too much fun at 50 and under. EASY to smack a beer can at 50 yards. All shot from a bipod sitting on the bench.

Just my 2 cents. rch