MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite rifle/pistol that no one would understand?

I need a Hi Point to leave in the toolbox on the tractor. Thanks for reminding me!

Boolit Buddy

Younger shooters wouldn't understand. Mine is a 38/44 heavy duty

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    [QUOTE=AbitNutz;3834867]We all own some rifles or pistols that gun folks would really admire. Maybe it's a stainless Colt Python or a pre-64 custom Winchester model 70. All gun people will ooh and ahh over those but do you have one that you prefer...love above all others that would draw a weird look from knowledgeable gun people?

Mine is a...wait for it...a Siamese Mauser action that has been rebarreled and reworked to 303 British.

The Siamese Mauser was designed to take rimmed cartridges with its slanted magazine box , its a fine soild action ,many were converted to 45/70 and were capable of handling heavy loads. The 303 British is a good cartridge and has been used to take big game with the 215gn solid projectile .

A guy started a thread on here over a year ago based on a picture of a synthetic stock/sliding AR style butt assembly, Mossberg 464 lever action. Made several disparaging remarks about the concept. Two more pages followed of similar critiques, a real pile on. This was my choice of a rifle for hunting wild pig in Central Florida, so I never bought it to pretend like I was Chuck Connors. Works every time and slides down to a compact length for getting up and down into tree blinds.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    A guy started a thread on here over a year ago based on a picture of a synthetic stock/sliding AR style butt assembly, Mossberg 464 lever action. Made several disparaging remarks about the concept. Two more pages followed of similar critiques, a real pile on. This was my choice of a rifle for hunting wild pig in Central Florida, so I never bought it to pretend like I was Chuck Connors. Works every time and slides down to a compact length for getting up and down into tree blinds.
    How comfortable is it? And how does the action itself hold up? I've been disappointed with Mossberg rifles for the most part, but part of me wants one of those 464 SPX's as a fifty-state trunk gun.

Boolit Master

I've got an old ugly mossberg bolt action 30-06, bought it years ago. has a cheap tasco scope, and it's stock is awfull.

but it's action is smooth and it shoots where you aim it.

I have a 308 bolt Mossberg 800 and it works great

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Younger shooters wouldn't understand. Mine is a 38/44 heavy duty
    I had an Uncle with one of those - I wonder what happened to that Revolver?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I've got an old ugly mossberg bolt action 30-06, bought it years ago. has a cheap tasco scope, and it's stock is awfull.

but it's action is smooth and it shoots where you aim it.
    And that's another thing! Scope shaming. If I setup next to someone and he has a US Optics or Schmidt & Bender scope...my Simons all of sudden goes cross eyed.
    [

Boolit Master

It's funny. You can have a 19$ scope and eat out the hole inthe target, and the guy next to you can have 1000$ of scope and not get on paper.. and it still looks like your scope is cheap. BTDT..

Boolit Master
    Don't get me wrong. Looking through a $3,000.00 piece of glass is an image and a wonder to behold. However, it's like the difference between my Ford and a Porsche 911 I owned years ago...they both get the job done but the cost per mile was a little different. All in all though, I still wish I was driving a Porsche...
    [

Boolit Master

I totally agree.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I talked to a guy once that shot a doe 5 x at 85yd " with a pre 64 model 70 in 270 with ebony tip and cap , Barns TSX 130s and $1200 in glass", and still had to finish it with his Les Bear 1911 45.
    It made me smile knowing that I was hauling around $250 110LH 06' with an $89 3-9x40 Tasco pronghorn , shooting LC 43 brass stuffed with a cup and core SP , that actually killed 3-4 deer from 75-125 yd .

What do I know about top shelf? The best glass I own is a 9V El Paso Weaver.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Was gifted an abused Revelation 200 a few years ago. Red rust on the action and barrel with scars in the wood from years of abuse as a truck gun. It was fitted with a cheapy Tasco 3-9x32 scope. After using steel wool to remove the rust and a good bore scrubbing it turned out to be a good shooter with the original scope. I did need to cut off 1/4" and re-crown the barrel as it was boogered bad. I have taken numerous white tail as well as 2 Nilgai with it since.

I broke down and refinished the steel using rust blueing as well as refinishing the wood with rubbed Tung oil recently. This little rifle is a keeper and makes the folks with more funds available jealous on the shared lease I hunt on. Fancy it ain't but it is accurate and effective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revelation.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	180395

The rifle on the right is a 1969-made Marlin that was in poor condition as well when I received it. Both rifles have been stripped and refinished.
    Last edited by blikseme300; 11-09-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

My S&W 38 M&P Model 1902 Target from 1904. It has absolutely no finish left on it, it has pitting, it was cleaned with a wire wheel, BUT, all the numbers match, the barrel cylinder gap is .006, the rear sight can be adjusted and it shoots better than 9 ring at 50 feet. It's a hoot to shoot and I love it.

Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I think that old s&w is beautiful... That's the way a classic should look if it's been used. Nice M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    How comfortable is it? And how does the action itself hold up? I've been disappointed with Mossberg rifles for the most part, but part of me wants one of those 464 SPX's as a fifty-state trunk gun.
    After a couple hundred rounds, the action is slick as snot. Feeds and ejects brass every time. More of a carbine length. Easy to carry and handle. Since the pig hunting is sometimes at night, the SPX has rails for attaching a green light. Can't do that with a John Wayne lever action.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Banned

mine has to be a K-31 I bubba'd out long ago.
    the stock was shaped with a plane and a hacksaw, then a bunch of sanding.
    the umm checkering is actually a series of dots I made with a center punch.
    when it come time to scope it I couldn't get the cheek weld even close to right so I shaved the comb down and rest my chin on the wood to look through the springfield 3x9 scope.
    the scope is set up for range finding with a variable cross hair set up but I just took and set the two cross hairs to correspond to 100 and 300yd groups.

with the Huber ball trigger the rifle will shoot, but no one can figure out how to see through the scope when I let them try it.

I have one. Valmet Orava. Useless in todays standards, but I just like it...

Started my shooting career with one (a different one than mine. I bought mine some 10 years ago).

Have you ever heard about that Valmet?
    --------
    SISU

Valmet's have a good reputation for anyone that used one I had a friend that had the 412 O/U with several barrel sets - I should have bought one when they were closing them out for cheap here
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Valmet's have a good reputation for anyone that used one
    Yes, but ORAVA ( "squirrel") is .22LR bolt action single shot, no scope, weighs about 3 lbs. It feels like a bb gun..
    As far as I know it was never imported to USA. Or anywhere else. It was a tool for the poor to put some meat in the table. Designed to be carried in back pack in 2 pieces.

Picture here: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/dow...2da3&mode=view
    Last edited by Ola; 11-11-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    --------
    SISU

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast