RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Lead oxide on old bullets

Boolit Buddy

Lead oxide on old bullets

A family member bought a used muzzle loader with all the additional stuff. Plus there was a couple of boxes of lead balls and cast bullets. Lead is all white. I advised against shooting them into deer. Told him to either melt them (which he does not do) and recast or purchase new and work up his loads.

Was I correct in my advise? I hate to second guess myself but am I on the wrong side of this?

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't use them on deer, they might die from lead poisoning. On a serious note, I would also be worried about the oxide in the air after you fired the bullet. I'd melt them. Have him buy a mold and some lead, you have the pot.

Been shooting deer and other critters with a patched round ball for a few decades.
    The idea is for the little round ball to plow its way clean though to the other side, and give a tree lead poisoning.
    If it dont, quarantine the AO, and discard it.

The only things I shoot store boughts in are the 30-06s, and its mini me 300BO.

Even cookem in the garage
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I had the same question but it would seem that it should be possible to clean them. I hope so since I have a full box of 100 Hornady 58 caliber round balls that are sort of dry and covered in white dust. I know I personally don't want to breathe lead oxide.

Was thinking of putting them in vibrating brass polisher with crushed walnuts damp with a bit of mineral spirits to keep the dust down. I suppose a wet tumbler might work also but I don't have one, spending more than the lead and mold cost to clean these makes no sense.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Just tumble them like you stated, good to go, did this countless times last 20 years.

Guys don't panic it is not white death. You have atleast a couple decades before you die.LOL Really though it is not a big deal, put them in a container with some media and shake for just a few minutes. I have just wiped them down with an oil rag, put on some plastic gloves if you are concerned. Lead poisoning is not easily aguired.
    Cd
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Wipe them off with a rag and try to not suck on any while you do it. Not a problem at all.

Thanks guys. I think I have a bag of used up media waiting for disposal that I could shake them in.

Couple months ago blood tests showed I was getting close to blood lead level of 10 so I'm doing what I can to bring that down before a re-test at 6 months. I'm pretty sure digging through buckets of range brass was my exposure risk that elevated things not melting lead. That white lead oxide is probably the easiest way to ingest lead from handling the metal. Gloves are less effective when dealing with dust.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

I like to tumble them if they get that way. I have found that tumble lubing with alox keeps them from oxidizing in the first place. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Put in zip-lock with a light dollop of Crisco, roll around, wipe, load and choot-em. Keep your digits out of your nose and mouth and off little Lee until you wash, gloves even better and you will be fine. Or maybe, they were left and oxide seasoned for high end shooting. Those very small craters on surface creates the golf ball effect on a projectile, Increasing speed and stability due to the Hossenfeffer constant and Bernoulli's Principle imposed on the object in flight.

Boolit Master
    Iwould just wash them off with hot water and soap and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    Iwould just wash them off with hot water and soap and be done with it.
    Hmm coffee can of dish soap and water? Rinse? Then tumble lube in 45/45/10 or thinned Alox. Seems easier, only downside I can see is dumping the water, that stays at my house (septic) but dry media goes off in the trash. Still seems like it should work since only goal is to get rid of the powdered sugar on the round balls. I may try a few each way.

Boolit Master
    I never sweated PRB's that had oxidized in storage. Load, fire as normal. There is a lot more to worry about in life than coming in contact with a little lead oxide.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I never sweated PRB's that had oxidized in storage. Load, fire as normal. There is a lot more to worry about in life than coming in contact with a little lead oxide.
    I've never given it a second thought. I always rubbed the powder off with my fingers, loaded them, then wiped my hands on my jeans. LOL HMMMM, maybe that's what's wrong with me