RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Thompson Center 54 Cal. Renegade

Boolit Master
    Being new to this, you will in due time experiment with everything. Get used to it. lots of good info in different threads. In your 50, typically the .490 and .495 are normal fits. Less felt recoil for sure.

As for accessories, I will bet most here have extras of everything.... me included. So before buying new.... ask here. I have a bunch of extras too.

If you are getting into target shooting, you will find the curiosity tugging at you to try both round ball and conicals.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    Being new to this, you will in due time experiment with everything. Get used to it. lots of good info in different threads. In your 50, typically the .490 and .495 are normal fits. Less felt recoil for sure.

As for accessories, I will bet most here have extras of everything.... me included. So before buying new.... ask here. I have a bunch of extras too.

If you are getting into target shooting, you will find the curiosity tugging at you to try both round ball and conicals.
    For now, I think I will start off with the Thompson Center round balls .490 175 grain. Some of the round balls on the Midway site do not show grains. Are round balls all the same weight in .50 cal?

The choices in conicals seems overwhelming, so I need to learn more first. Balls seem simple.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and More Ammo

Looking at pillow ticking things get confusing. In the Thompson Center Black Powder Pillow Ticking, the description for using with .50 cal is excellent. Copy paste below.

For use with a round ball of approximately .010" less than caliber, example would be a 50 caliber rifle uses one of these patches with a .490" diameter lead ball.

Now, all that is available is .32, .45, .54, and .58 cal. Are they leaving out .50 cal ticking for some reason?
    Gary

Boolit Master
    the problem is you are looking at "MIDWAY" I buy from Midsouthshooters supply. Honest folks.

Boolit Master
    Whichever brand of round ball you choose, weigh them all on a scale. segregate them. Shoot for groups with balls weighing the same. I buy my patch material in bulk from a fabric store and cut my own. Most pillow ticking runs between .015 and .018

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
    Looking at pillow ticking things get confusing. In the Thompson Center Black Powder Pillow Ticking, the description for using with .50 cal is excellent. Copy paste below.

For use with a round ball of approximately .010" less than caliber, example would be a 50 caliber rifle uses one of these patches with a .490" diameter lead ball.

Now, all that is available is .32, .45, .54, and .58 cal. Are they leaving out .50 cal ticking for some reason?
    I did the same and ended up buying from track of the wolf since I wanted to get a synthetic ramrod anyhow. I bought pre-lubed .010 cotton and .018 ticking patches and .49 and .495 balls. Anxious to try them out and look forward to hearing your results as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the problem is you are looking at "MIDWAY" I buy from Midsouthshooters supply. Honest folks.
    I’ve bought powder and reloading supplies from Midsouth before, but was not aware they sold stuff for muzzleloaders. Cool.

Whichever brand of round ball you choose, weigh them all on a scale. segregate them. Shoot for groups with balls weighing the same. I buy my patch material in bulk from a fabric store and cut my own. Most pillow ticking runs between .015 and .018
    It’s an hour and a half to the nearest fabric store, so I’d be buying ticking online. The options are mind boggling. Never would have thought about weighing the balls.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by spitstickler View Post
    I did the same and ended up buying from track of the wolf since I wanted to get a synthetic ramrod anyhow. I bought pre-lubed .010 cotton and .018 ticking patches and .49 and .495 balls. Anxious to try them out and look forward to hearing your results as well.
    Never heard of Track of the Wolf. Difficult site to navigate. Since my first order will probably be .490 balls I need to find some .010 ticking patches. I have no idea when I’ll actually shoot this gun. I’ll have the gun before I have any powder and accessories I need, but I’ll be updating this thread from time to time.

The photos of the gun on GB makes it look like the nipple has been changed, so until I have the gun in hand, I won’t have any idea what size percussion caps to order. Looks like they come in 1k size. That’s a lot. Can I assume that they will be shipped with the extra hazardous materials cost as if I was ordering powder?
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Once you get the hang of it.... possibly entertain the thought of casting your own RB, options will really open up. I try to combine as many chores/to do's as possible when I go into town.

Boolit Master
    your rifle uses a standard #11 cap. put this on your list of things to look for when you go into town (hour and a half away). Keep in mind, many of us have extras of your loading and cleaning accessories that you could buy before paying full price.

Congrats on your new Renegade Muzzleloader. (Great Gun) Since your not a hunter, round ball is your best and least expensive choice.
    ( Not to say round ball isn't good for hunting, because it is all I hunt with.)
    October country has cast round balls for sale at a very good price.
    http://www.octobercountry.com/cast-r...-36-to-8-bore/
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Buddy
    Found my Renegade 54 cal. the last day of a flea market. Excellent condition, shiny bore- $125.

Never looked back. Shoots great!

Don

Just go to Walmart with a micrometer in your pocket and get a yard or two of ticking if that is what you like. Myself I prefer twill fabric 100% regular weave cotton. It is a very tight weave, a little stiff but I throw it in the washer and that softens it up. This time of year when dry leaves are on the ground and grass drying up the last thing I want is a smoldering patch on the dry leaves starting a fire. Ticking will smolder pretty easy, especially if they have been lubed for a spell and I see them smolder quite often. Twill will not get blown by like ticking especially in a deep groove barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I had many hours of fun with my Renegade but the darn think sure did smite me upon the cheekbone.

Perma-Banned
    the too short length-of-pull of the Renegade contributes to the cheek-slap. puttin' a slip-on recoil pad on mine added about an inch & helped immensely with the slap aspect of shootin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock1812 View Post
    Congrats on your new Renegade Muzzleloader. (Great Gun) Since your not a hunter, round ball is your best and least expensive choice.
    ( Not to say round ball isn't good for hunting, because it is all I hunt with.)
    October country has cast round balls for sale at a very good price.
    http://www.octobercountry.com/cast-r...-36-to-8-bore/
    Thanks for that link. Being new to black powder, I’m unfamiliar with places that specialize in black powder. I’ll be ordering some stuff from that site.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I had many hours of fun with my Renegade but the darn think sure did smite me upon the cheekbone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    the too short length-of-pull of the Renegade contributes to the cheek-slap. puttin' a slip-on recoil pad on mine added about an inch & helped immensely with the slap aspect of shootin' it.
    I keep a slip on recoil pad in my range bag. Good info. If I get the cheek slap, not fun, I’ll try it with the pad.

I’m wondering if lighter loads help with the cheek slap?

Tracking says I’ll have the gun on the 29th of the month.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I remember years ago(more than 10), i was working my 54 for a hopeful elk hunt. trying roundball and maxi-ball, I remember the round ball not slapping me.

The gun arrived yesterday in a brand new real tree camo soft gun case, a nice surprise. Still has the tag on it. Looking down the bore with a good light and I see light rust. No pitting that I can see. I asked the seller about pitting and he said no. Should have asked about rust, as photos with macro lens show rust around the lock and on the rear sight. I don’t how I’m going to go about seeing if I can get the rust out of the bore. I have no accessories for this gun yet, so I’m wondering if a 12 gauge brush and mop might work for this .50 cal muzzloader.

Trigger pull is 6 ½ to 7 ½ pounds. Set trigger pull is 1 ½ pounds.

Wish I could see cat hair before I take a photo.

I suspect that the nipple may have been changed and am wondering if the nipple change was to use a different size cap, so these next two photos show closeups of the nipple, how I measured it and the measurement which is 0.0205. I have no idea if the OD of the nipple determines cap size, but it seemed like a good place to start. Can anyone determine from the photos below if I have the correct size nipple to take #11 caps or has it been changed?

How does one go about finding the date of manufacture on these guns?
    Gary

Perma-Banned
    as it has no trace of case-color I believe the lock to have been cold blued. which may also explain what looks like rust on the breechplug as cold blue doesn't do well on cast steel which is what T/C breechplugs are made of.

DO NOT TRY TO USE A 12GA OR ANY OTHER GAUGE SHOTGUN BRUSH IN YER BORE. IT WILL BECOME A PERMANENT RESIDENT REQUIRIN' STRONG EVICTION PAPERS TO REMOVE IT. instead use a 45cal jag & a piece of green scotchbrite along with some oil or bore cleaner.

the nipple has been replaced with a musket cap nipple. nothin' wrong with that unless musket caps are hard to come by in your area.

life will be much smoother for ya if ya just shoot & enjoy yer Renegade & forget about worryin' when it's birthday was. nobody knows & if ya ask T/C you'll get their standard "we had a fire & all records were lost" story. you can get pages of estimations & guesswork but no real answer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast