WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dupont High Score?????

Boolit Master

Dupont High Score?????

I bought some stuff at an Estate sale and was given a Steel Black can of Dupont High Score powder. It is a 12 pound about two thirds full. The powder smells fine and looks ok. Does any one have an idea what load data to start with.
    jim

Do you mean this one ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20161105_011714.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	180116

If that's so there is plenty of loading data for 700-X. I have many many cans and I reload shotshells with. I personally consider 700-X the most versatile powder ever. Can be used for almost anything.

Boolit Master
    No its a large round can that only says high score no 700x, its about 10 inches in diameter and 12 inches tall.
    jim

Vendor Sponsor

I have not heard of the can of high score as you describe, I only knew there was Hi-Skor 700x and Hi-Skor 800x.

With a name like high score I can assume it is meant for competition in .38 and .45 calibers or it could also be shotshell powder for clays.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-05-2016 at 04:33 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Gents - should have Goggle'd for some information ...

I am from Uruguay and I am doing a research about HI-SKOR powder because a friend have some pounds of an unbranded powder. Some people say that his powder is Hi-Skor 700 but no one can prove it.
    I think that it could be the first HI-SKOR made by dupont (prior IMR HI-SKOR 700X).
    I wrote to Mike Daly (Hodgdon Customer Satisfaction Manager) about this problem and he said that:

"In 1962 a powder called “Hi Skor” that was brought out by DuPont. It was the first of the double based, fast burning . flake type powders for shotshell to be made by DuPont. It is the parent of Hi Skor 700X. At about 1964, Hi Skor became Hi Skor 700X with only minor changes in burn speed to the powder."

Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I burned about #4 of the old Hi Skor in various cartridges. Even used it in light cast boolit loads in the 223 Rem. Very similar to Hi Skor 700X.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen any High Score since the early 60s because my uncle was working on using up a large batch he had. Another one he had was Ballistite. Not sure if I spelled that one correctly. What I wouldn't give to spend a few days with him again.

In the realm of Bullseye for burn rate.

In Remembrance

Well that confirms it! I now know I`m old cause I remember Dupont changing the name on the cans. I was using High Score in my skeet loads I was making in an early Mec press.Robert

I just shot today with my wife around 500 shotshells reloaded with Hi-Skor 700-X and all I can say is that powder is oldie but goldie.

Boolit Master

If it IS Hi-Skor-700-X (or like it) be aware that it has a reputation for "Bridging" in some powder measures. I have about 9 pounds on hand and have used it as a "Booster" in Duplex WC-860 loads for .223 and .308 over the last few years. I was out of Bullseye and Unique last month, so I was going to load up 50 rounds of 38 Special for the wife I got down the Hi-Skor 700-X; when I did a visual inspection on the powder in the cases I could see the levels dropped from my RCBS Powder Measure were not all the same. Had to weigh each case load on the scale and recharge those that were inconsistent.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-07-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Thank You everyone for the information, I am going to try a few min loads for my handgun and work up.
    jim

Boolit Mold
    This is my go to powder for 38 spl target loads. Really accurate loads.

High Skor is NOT High Skor 700X just look at the stuff...........your eyes will tell you that!!!!!! look in some old speer reloading books and they have information on pistol and shotgun loads........I shoot it in 9MM,44 Special,45 colt, and 45 APC but don't use 700X data......................

I wrote to Mike Daly (Hodgdon Customer Satisfaction Manager) about this problem and he said that:

"In 1962 a powder called “Hi Skor” that was brought out by DuPont. It was the first of the double based, fast burning . flake type powders for shotshell to be made by DuPont. It is the parent of Hi Skor 700X. At about 1964, Hi Skor became Hi Skor 700X with only minor changes in burn speed to the powder."
    [/I][/FONT]
    [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yea it pretty much is 700X according to the people that make it....

The above was a reply with quote from 'swheeler'