Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm getting a new rescue dog

We have (finally!) decided. In honor of Big Jake McCandles..... Lil Jake. And thanks everyone for the responses. Really put a smile on my face.

FWIW my little Schnauzer was from a breeder, but we found him on the side of the road. They had brought out a playpen on the side of the road with a litter. He came papered and after much consideration his official name was Winston Maximus Einstein, whch carried on both parents names sort of. We called him Einstein. No papers made this one a lot easier.

I am pretty sure any other dog we ever get will be a rescue. I don't show dogs and I dont breed dogs so it is just the right thing to do. And I don't know if its true or not, but I like to think that the dog remembers it's before life and appreciates the good life they have now. I know they make me happy.

Boolit Grand Master

Friend named his Ruger. I think thats close enough to Robbie, who would name a dog that?, for the the dog to be able to adjust quickly.
    Congrats on your new friend. Our "rescue" showed up in our yard right after we bought our house and just stayed. Best dog ive ever had
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like im too late! Jake is a good name. My grandfather always said a dogs name should be easy to call out in the woods and a single syllable name was best
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Moshe from Moshe Dayan. He was blind in the left eye though. If I get the meaning right it means saved from the water.
    Last edited by jsizemore; 11-04-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Banned

I'd have to call him Governor, since he only has one eye.

Good on you for rescuing him, I bet he'll be a great dog.

Boolit Grand Master

My wife picked up a stray on the way home from Florida over the summer. He looks to be between 1-2 years old. He is a pointer mix. I wasn't thrilled about it. We don't need another dog to care for. But he's good with the kids, good with the other dogs, listens fairly well and doesn't potty in the house when we let him come inside. His name is Jake as well.

Ive been training him on simple commands and he picks up fairly fast and loves to run behind me on my ATV. He is love able. I tried to play fetch but if I picked up a stick, he runs. Must have been beat. My boxer loves it and is more for him to run after

Banned

don't ask me for name advice. I named my last lab ELMER. Believe it or not a ton of people later said that name fit him to a tee. I would think twice though about renaming a rescue dog. Hes has enough ajustments to make moving into a new home with new owners without confusing him by changing his name.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14939356_659596454226689_293961697313984262_o.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	180148

Thanks for the input Lloyd. He was only called Robbie since he was Fostered. They didn't know what his name was before. He is already coming when we call Jake so I think he will be OK. He has a lot to learn obviously. Not humping Maggie and Colt will come with a severe correction by one of them.

When they growl at him, he just growls right back. Typical terrier. But they all play and chase and have fun so I think they are gonna be good friends. I've had to work the last 2 nights so we haven't figured out sleeping arrangements yet. Lynda and all 3 dogs took up the bed last night.

But we have 2 dog beds in there and the 2 big dogs swap in and out routinely. I am sure they'll figure that out to. I'm very happy. He is a sweet little dog AND he doesn't bark much! A big plus.
    Last edited by Markbo; 11-05-2016 at 02:39 PM.

The pic. someone posted looks like a 'Scofield' to me...a little short of a .45 Colt.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I told my granddaughter she could name last dog, never again

Looks like a ( Whiskers ) to me

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    When we adopted our rescue dog, the wife didn't care for the dog's name. I thought it was ok, and suggested the we keep the name, as the dog already answer to the name.

Well fellahs, he has caught on to Jake really quickly. Already comes to it. I don't think he is going to have any trouble adjusting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12