Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Aligning powder dispenser

Boolit Mold

Aligning powder dispenser

I'm using an RCBS turret press and a Redding powder dispenser, and every time I throw a charge, a small amount of powder misses the case. The powder dispenser isn't perfectly aligned to the head, and when I run the case up, the drop tube causes it to tilt slightly. I've shimmed under the lock ring to square the dispenser up to the head, but it's a big pain, as I have to readjust it every time I change turret heads. If the head was threaded 1-1/4" I'd install Hornady lock n load bushings in the heads and square them up, giving me a "permanent" adjustment. I called RCBS and described the problem, and the rep is sending me compensation washers. I'm assuming these are bevel washers and should be way better than my haphazard shimming, but I still don't have the permanent fix. The heads have standard die (7/8-14) threads. Has anyone else had this problem and figured out a permanent fix?

Boolit Master
    What I would need to even understand what the problem is would be a picture.
    Are you using a powder measure or a powder dispenser (I can guess you mean a powder measure)?
    Can you install a powder funnel on top of the die?
    I like the Lee PTE dies as I can put a Lee powder funnel on them.
    If you have the measure installed in a proper powder die, the case mouth should be sealing the powder die (if it isn't a Lee, Hornady, or Dillon powder-through die, where the expander takes care of the problem).

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20161104_002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	180074
    If you look closely you'll see a piece of wire under the lock ring; that squares the dispenser to the turret head. Without the wire the dispenser drop tube tilts the case when I bring it into charging position.

Boolit Master

Sounds like the threaded hole that the powder measure is in is not threaded perpendicular
    to the ram of the press. Try it in a different station.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Deleted, re-read the OP comments and the question had already been answered.

Boolit Mold
    Tried different stations, same situation, so the head isn't the problem. I'm thinking the male thread on the dispenser isn't concentric with the bore for the drop tube. The dispenser probably wasn't designed to be used on a press, because it came with a separate bracket for mounting to a stand. I could have an adapter fabricated, but it would probably be cheaper to buy another dispenser. Guess I'll wait and see if the RCBS compensating washers do the trick. Thanks for the replies.

Boolit Grand Master

Is the drop tube removeable from the powder measure ? They are ussually a plastic tube abd screwed into the end of the measure. If somake one with a male tapered nose just small enough to enter the mouth of your case. This style will allow the drop tube to sit just below the case mouth so now spills can occour due to miss alighnment. Another way would be to order a replace ment from redding drill the hole out for a small piece of hobby brass tubing cut it .060-.125 below bottom of drop tube and glue in place. These 2 will put the powders release point below the case mouth and should completely stop spills due to miss alighnment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Is the drop tube removable from the powder measure ? They are usually a plastic tube thats screwed into the end of the measure. If so make one with a male tapered nose just small enough to enter the mouth of your case. This style will allow the drop tube to sit just below the case mouth so now spills can occur due to miss alignment. Another way would be to order a replacement from Redding drill the hole out for a small piece of hobby brass tubing cut it .060-.125 below bottom of drop tube and glue in place. These 2 will put the powders release point below the case mouth and should completely stop spills due to miss alignment.
    My RCBS Uni-flow powder measures have a small plastic drop tube that threads into the bottom of the measure.

I guess you could call it a mini-funnel?

They come with either small, or large inside diameter holes. I use the large size ones with powders that are prone to bridge or clog.

I've broken the plastic green thread in powder pieces before while turning the turret head too soon. I purchased a handful of spares/extras to keep on hand, even though RCBS would happily mail them to me for free.

I'm not familiar enough with the Redding powder measure to know if it uses something like this, or not. If it does, I bet it would solve the problem

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 11-26-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Bullwolf, the drop tube on my dispenser is similar to the RCBS but is a friction fit vs threaded. Is that a beveled washer beneath the lock ring on your dispenser? A beveled washer (with the proper bevel) will to square the dispenser to the head, but I'll still have to mess with it every time I move the dispenser from head to head. I guess if I had additional beveled washers, I could square up the dispenser and epoxy or JB weld the washer to the head.

Country gent, the idea of drilling a hole in the drop tube and inserting a smaller tube that will engage the ID of the case neck is a good idea. I could drill the hole at a slight angle that would make it square to the head. The only down side to that is I may experience bridging in .22 and smaller case necks. That may be worth a try>

Attachment 180150http://www.midwayusa.com/product/748...der-charge-die

Expand your case at the same time you charge the case, it will shorten your production of each round by one stroke, one pull of the handle.
    Add on top of this any Powder Throw you wish.

The gamechanger...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catchbull@4 View Post
    Bullwolf, the drop tube on my dispenser is similar to the RCBS but is a friction fit vs threaded. Is that a beveled washer beneath the lock ring on your dispenser?
    Sorry, but no that's not a beveled washer under my Uni-flow, it's just a large split ring lock washer.

I wonder if the RCBS plastic flared powder drop insert would fit the Redding measure? Maybe if you sanded down the outside threads some, or even applied a dab of some adhesive.

Most gun shops that carry reloading supplies will have a couple of the spare threaded plastic pieces for small change behind the counter if you want to try one.

Alternatively you could call RCBS and they would likely mail one to you.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

The other option is to make one with a male taper (Same sized hole) so its V end and this will allow the end to sit into the case mouth and just below it also. The angle its cut to will determine how far. The very end of this will be a little more fragile than the other way is.

Boolit Grand Master

Just had idea here that may work even better. Order a replacement drop tube. Chamfer back end close to a knife edge. At the local hardware store pick up some clear tygon tubing ( the flexible clear plastic rubber tubing ) that fitsungly over the ends iof the drop tubes. cut a length long enough to cover both ebd of tubes push onto measures tub all the way to measures end and then the new tube chamfered end into tubing against or close to the existing tube. This will act as a flex joint allowing the new tube to self alighn. Draw mack is it will make a longer set up.

Boolit Mold
    OS OK, the expander die works on pistol cartridges (I have one for .45) but my problem is with bottlenecks like the .223, 22TCM and .17 Mach IV. don't know of anyone who makes a through dies for those small necks. Country gent, the flex tube may help, but I think it would be stiff enough that it would still tilt the case in the shellholder; which is the root issue. If the washers RCBS sends me aren't what I'm hoping for, I'll mill some tapered shim washers. Another thought I had was to drill and tap the head close to the threaded hole and insert a set screw that I could adjust to stick up a bit. The set screw could be adjusted to get just the right amount of "shim" under the lock ring. A drop of medium lock-tite, and I'm in high cotton> Maybe????

That set screw idea is a good one! My my...aren't we a bunch of creative old farts!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    Creative, I like that notion. I was thinking more time than money. The more we think about it and talk it out, the better the ideas.
    Thanks to all who have replied.

Boolit Master
    Why not buy a Lee charging die kit:
    http://www.titanreloading.com/specia...arging-die-kit
    And a case activated powder measure:
    http://www.titanreloading.com/powder...powder-measure
    ...about $60 for both

Boolit Mold
    I really don't want to buy another dispenser, and looking at the pictures, it appears the internal thread on the charging die is too small to fit my Redding.

I find the dies and brass are better aligned if I run brass up into the die/powder dump, THEN tighten down the lock rings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catchbull@4 View Post
    I really don't want to buy another dispenser, and looking at the pictures, it appears the internal thread on the charging die is too small to fit my Redding.
    OK, for a no cost/no mod work around:
    Why not remove the case from the shell holder when the ram is in the down position, hold it centered under the powder measure and throw the charge, then return the case to the shell holder.
    I don't think this would add any time to the loading process and would end the powder spillage.
    I know this is somewhat obvious, and apologize for posting it, if it has been considered before.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 11-11-2016 at 02:37 PM.