RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Valykrie

7mm Valykrie

Did anyone see the article on this in Handloader magazine? What a dream cartridge for the OCD reloader! 8 steps to form brass & they claim .270 performance out of an AR15. I'll rush right out and ignore it, thank you very much. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

I saw the article in the mag but I haven't read it yet. there are already ARs chambered in 7TCU cartridges and the 6.8SPC which is a basically the "270 Short" cartridge

I'm not seeing the need but building the case on the 6.5x47 cartridge design basically means its in a niche between the 7mm-08 and the 6.8mm-223 (277 Wolverine) in regards to powder space and velocity. I just can't see it as a 270Win though.

With all that, I do shoot a 30-223 Wildcat in an AR so all power too them if they think they can make a commercial go of it.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I saw that article, Thomas and am still scratching my head over it. As you said, only 8 steps, and so-so accuracy, which begs the questions "why?' and "who needs such a 'tack driver'?"

I am an AR fan but it puzzles me how these custom cartridges with only 30 grains of po
    wder capacity can outperform the old standards that hold 50 to 60 grains of powder?
    Black Rifle Magic?

Slap some fancy whizbang BS numbers on it and people will buy it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Yes and there are those who say a .300 Blackout is a 30-30 in an AR. I have both and it ain't.

THey only say that because you can load light weight jacketed bullets to standard 30/30 velocity for the same weight. IOW, you can load a 125g soft point in a 300 to what a box of factory 30/30 125g stuff is...or close.
    Handloaded ammunition comparison.....not even close.

I'm often confused by people's need to reinvent the wheel.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Mold
    It looks interesting, but I doubt it will ever get much of a following. If I could get 270 Win performance out of my AR 15 I might retire my 270. Probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The volume difference between the 7mm Valkyrie and the 6.8SPC is 6gr. That is less than 15% of the total volume of the 7mmValkyrie which is 42gr according to the. That difference can be made up with some of the newer, more efficient powders anyways.

A lot of wildcats are being developed for the AR15 line of rifles. I will support them if they can get into the market successfully, but I know there are a lot of other cartridges already in production that are being rejuvenated with newer powders.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

7mm Valykrie

The gun magazines need something to fill the pages between the various political ads. A lot of the hype around the AR-15 and the various new calibers seems to stem from a need to justify the whole platform as a viable civilian hunting rifle. Law abiding citizens have a right to an AR-etc. with whatever capacity magazine they feel like hauling around, but to claim it is a practical hunting/home defense rifle for the average person is ridiculous.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 11-04-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    I am kinda impressed and I would love to build my dream rifle on a ar15 rifle but for that I need deer killing power at 300 yards and the ability to shoot cast and I have desired the 7mm calliber. If this deal gets love from the ar community then I might get on board also! Any sheeples following this round?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yes and there are those who say a .300 Blackout is a 30-30 in an AR. I have both and it ain't.
    I was never caught up in the .300 BO craze. I said you can eat your cake and have it too with the 7.62x39 especially since they have dedicated AR receivers for it now.

Banned

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I am an AR fan but it puzzles me how these custom cartridges with only 30 grains of po wder capacity can outperform the old standards that hold 50 to 60 grains of powder?
    Black Rifle Magic?
    It's pretty simple when they just lie about it.

My last conversation along these lines was the forum commentary not long ago re: a .358"-caliber AR-compatible cartridge that 'equaled .358 Win performance' with ~10% less case capacity?

Boolit Master

Sounds like another solution looking for a problem. I agree with the 300BO vs. the 7.62X39 school of thought. Especially since I can fire the 316299 GB boolit using 1.4/1.5gr of LeveRevolution.
    Last edited by Bloodman14; 11-03-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Load info.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    The gun magazines need something to fill the pages between the various political ads. A lot of the hype around the AR-15 and the various new calibers seems to stem from a need to justify the whole platform as a viable civilian hunting rifle. Law abiding citizens have a right to an AR-etc. with whatever capacity magazine they feel like hauling around, but to claim it is a practical hunting/home defense rifle for the average person is ridiculous.

We certainly agree that a law abiding citizen has a right to whatever he/she wishes to have (or would have if the NFA and GCA were repealed), I'm still sorry I didn't pick up a cheap Boyes .55 or one of the Lahti or Solthurn 20mm AT rifles back in the day. Even a $500 Reising. Oh well...

That being said, there's nothing wrong with the AR platform as a hunting rifle (though I don't see it as a means to "justify" the platform). It might be offensive to the eyes of some of us (It was mine when first issued, but I got used to it), but it is a functional rifle. As to choice of hunting cartridge, I choose the 6.8 SPC over the 5.56mm. Great on hogs, though I still prefer my Savage 99s for hunting. Home defense? Depends on where. In the house - handgun or shotgun. Away from the house out on the farm road or down the pasture the AR is fine as a go to home defense weapon. YMMV (obviously it does, but difference of opinion is why we have so many options).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Grand Master

7mm Valykrie

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Law abiding citizens have a right to an AR-etc. with whatever capacity magazine they feel like hauling around, but to claim it is a practical hunting/home defense rifle for the average person is ridiculous.
    So what's impractical about them? They may not be aesthetically appealing to most but it's a very practical rifle. The average person can work on them easily. They come apart easily for cleaning. They handles well and are lightweight. They can be chambered in many cartridges that are well suited for hunting. They're modular and a quick upper swap allows you to shoot another cartridge. Optics mount easily. Match grade triggers are abundant. And they're cheap w/ lots of parts available. So what's impractical about them? May not be as cheap as the Ruger American line but they aren't modular like the AR.

BTW, I live in a state where semis are banned for hunting. The regs will be changing shortly. But I can see the value in them. They won't win a beauty contest but they flat out work.

Boolit Master

7mm Valykrie

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So what's impractical about them?.
    I will start this response with, in my opinion.... Also keep in mind my first response was in context of the 7mm Novelty.

Ever since Mr. O got in the liberal left have been screaming, “what practical need does anyone have for an AR?” Gun forums, YouTube videos, NRA magazines, etc. for the last 9 years have been running with this idea that the AR is now the best rifle for every form of shooting, hunting, and self defense situation. All to justify a “need.”

Is the AR adaptable for many situations? Yes it certainly is.

Can you hunt with one? Sure, where legal.

AR for home defense? I guess so...

To claim that it is the best rifle for every situation is ridiculous though.

In my opinion, I find an AR awkward to shoot in any prone or bench situation. In the field the rifle is very tall, especially if a scope is mounted. In my situation I feel a 12ga semi or pump shotgun is a far more suitable HD weapon. Ballistically the AR is a varmint rifle. All the various AR uppers that offer larger calibers are cool, but bolt action rifles in better calibers for about the same price as a new upper are readily available.

That being said, I do own three ARs, and I think every law abiding citizen should own and know how to use one.

While not a beginners rifle I do agree that with an instructor near by most novice shooters do fairly well with an AR. They are light weight, 5.56/223 offer low recoil, and the safety clearly reads “fire” or “safe”.

I like my ARs as truck and varmint rifles, but for every other shooting scenario I have far more practical rifles.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 11-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Banned

I can understand 2nd's opinion and he'd rightfully entitled to one. The AR15/M16 was a major departure from what America grew up with. That is a non-pistol grip walnut stocked rifle with blued steel receivers, barrels, trigger guards, etc. Look at how many of bemoaned having aluminum trigger guards and polymer ones. Many hated fiberglass and polymer stocks. It was a shock to our soldiers when they gave them M16's in Vietnam. They loved the old school M14's.

I don't find the AR's that ackward. When I shoot off the bench I use a shorter low capactiy magazine so i don't have to bag the rifle as high. As for the scope alignment I'll agree you got us there, but now they have riser's that put it in the proper eye alignment. Of course I'm speaking about the "flat-top" AR's. The old permanent handle one's were terrible to scope. It's a fact that AR's can rival bolt action accuracy. You are correct on the small caliber AR's being varmint rifle, but that ends there with the AR 10's. The 5.56 NATO was derived from varmint cartridge lineage. Do you agree our military will never go back to a walnut wood stock? There is no one rifle best for everything. You want to try an ackward firearm try a Thompson machine gun. That turkey is hard to sling carry comfortably too! The controls are not ergonomic either and the rear sight is too close to your eye. The one type of rifle I could never cozy up too are the bullpups. The M4 carbine would be good for home defense providing you weren't using over penetrating ammuniation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I was never caught up in the .300 BO craze. I said you can eat your cake and have it too with the 7.62x39 especially since they have dedicated AR receivers for it now.
    My chronograph must be dif. then most as it shows that neither of these come close to the 30/30 and I don't believe that the 7mm whisbang will either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast