Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: DIY Brass Catcher

Boolit Bub

DIY Brass Catcher

Made this brass catcher for pistol in ranges where picking brass off the floor isn't allowed. I'm still working out the kinks but I was pretty amazed how well it worked.

Basically 3 parts need.. an aquarium net, elbow brace and some zip ties

Sorry the pictures are a little rough, but basically I took a fish aquarium net cut the handle and untwisted the wire, formed it to fit on the elbow brace around my hand and zip tied it in place. I then bent the top of the net about an inch or so down inward at about a 45 degree angle.

First trip to the range, I couldn't believe the first 6 shoots jumped right into the net. I was a little worried the net might melt, but no signs at all. After the sixth shot the weight of the brass pulled the net taught and the shells bounced off

So I went home and added a piece of wire to the top inside of the net in a hoop shape to hold back the net and make a pocket. It worked much better, but I am still playing to get it right.

Man did I get some funny looks from others at the range until they saw it catching the brass. Then they all wanted to check it out a little closer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2302.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	179941

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2303.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	179942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2304.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	179943

Boolit Master

I know of a perticular member who could definitely use one of those that way while I'm shooting my revolver I'm not tripping over his 9mm brass.
    Very nicely done dturninko!
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Bub
    Thank you! Finding places too shoot near me and not losing brass to the range has been a challenge. This gives me options on a budget

Boolit Master
    I dont have to go to a range, but tired of losing brass in the yard. Spent less than $20 for some PVC and a tarp. A portable thing for the brass to hit and be collected at the bottom.

Boolit Master
    I could use something like that, the coonan slings brass and 357mag brass isn't all that easy to come by. The little 25 auto cases wouldn't get lost in the midst of all the 22's either. Good job.

Boolit Master

I'm a lefty, I still look for my brass in the grass.

Boolit Master

Still amazes me to be at a range that doesn't allow you to bend over...

Boolit Bub
    They tell me it is insurance regulations. Worried about someone crossing the firing line for brass. There is one range nearby that will not let you shoot ammo unless purchased from them THAT DAY.

It's pretty difficult in this area to find anywhere to shoot. Most clubs waiting lists are closed and if you find one that is not, the list is 3 - 5 years deep.

I have something very similar,it's made by Graco. I normally use it when shooting at an indoor range,but when outside I lay down a tarp or blanket and make sure the empties are landing on the tarp.

Two thumbs up on your ingenuity.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Still amazes me to be at a range that doesn't allow you to bend over...
    HAR!
    Caught your humour right quick we did..

Thanks,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Great minds just tend to think alike; I guess. I've been using a similar home made brass catcher for a while now. Mine attaches at my forearm rather than at the palm of my hand. I only use it when I'm shooting alone or with close friends; otherwise I start to get funny looks and snide remarks from bystanders.

I found that with the fat grips of some handguns, the added thickness that a palm-held brass catcher gave me made it difficult for my smallish hands to get a proper grip. I must be getting lazier in my old age. I hate having to go looking for my spent brass and then bending over repeatedly to pick them up; especially when I'm out bumming around in the desert.

For some reason, my spent brass mysteriously turns the color of the ground it lands in making it nearly impossible to distinguish from it's surroundings. On average I end up loosing about two out of every ten cases that hit the ground after firing them.

Brass isn't cheap any more. These little gadgets can actually save you money.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 11-04-2016 at 05:42 PM.