Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Marlin Mod 60 Value?

Marlin Mod 60 Value?

I have, or i should say, my brother owns....I have....a mod 60, 1988 (serial beginning 12******), 40 1/2" OAL, 18 shot tube, and hold open bolt. It hasn't been shot much, and still has sticker on the fore end of stock. Is it worth that much more then the shorter, 14 shot tube model? He asked me to research it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161102_104213.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	179913

Sorry about crappy picture....crappy phone camera.
    Oh....and it shoots good by the way! I couldnt resist putting a few tubes through it!

Not much of a valuation difference between the regular and slightly shorter versions. In really nice condition they seem to go for about $100 +/- $25.

That's the opinion of a local gun store owner also. He picked it up from his boss for 80 bucks. I took it apart and not much evidence it has been shot much. If fact, the receiver and bolt don't even look broke in. He had an offer of 125.00. So i guess in the ball park. Thanks for you input.

Around here they've been $90.00-$125.00 it seems forever. This is the box store variety, hardwood stock, etc.

Ok. It appears to be pretty much the same consensus in my area. Thanks for the opinions.

They are going for around $200.00 on Gunbroker. I did a check last week for a friend who wanted to know a ball park price.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    They are going for around $200.00 on Gunbroker. I did a check last week for a friend who wanted to know a ball park price.
    New or used. This one is a 1988. New ones in my area are 179.99.
    Gunbroker seems to be getting as bad as fleabay any more.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 11-02-2016 at 03:46 PM.

For the connoisseurs of the model 60 Marlin, the 18 shot rifle is the sweet spot in my opinion, worth at least $20 more than the 20" 15 shot. Hope this helps. Hope you found the humor but truism in my post.

Super Moderator

............The Marlin M60 is 3 times the rifle the Ruger 10/22 is. The only thing that makes the Ruger so popular is the easily swapped out barrel, and well it should be as the stock item is a total waste of time. Add in all the aftermarket kitsch and it endears itself to those who like to accessorize. Not to any positive end other then to have a bunch of C*ap they can buy and haul around.

Years ago I bought a Ruger 10-22 because it seemed like it was the thing to do. After all EVERYONE had one, right? Trying the thing out with 6-7 different kinds of ammo I was pretty much fried. I shucked it off to the rangemaster for close to what I paid for it. A few weeks later he was exclaiming to me how superbly accurate it was. Like everyone else he'd replaced everything except the action. My buddy Ron and his old Marlin M60 shot just as well or better then Ken's "Kitted up" Ruger 10-22. At the time and for some time afterwards Ruger was never known for their barrels.

I really dislike being a spoilsport, and I have all the greatest regard for Bill Ruger the elder and the wonderfull company he built, but the truth be known and Marlin has, and had the better rifle in it original form. Of course, this is all IMHO of course

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I've got both in SS, I wouldn't take for the Marlin, it gets special treatment and a special gunsock and is very meticulously cared for.

The 10/22 has the synthetic boat paddle stock, carbine barrel, and a 25rd magazine with steel lips. It's not superbly accurate, but it's good for 40-50 yard can plinking, and has taken out more than its fair share of rat snakes.

That said, the last Marlin 60 I had that was wood and blue was sold for 135, it was the 18 round version.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    I really like the Marlin and Glenfield .22 autoloaders as shooters, but stripping for detail cleaning is a chore.
    Unless you use plated bullets atomized lead builds up fairly quickly. Even with plated bullets theres usually a lot of powder fouling build up as well.
    I've heard the new models aren't even fully strippable. I guess they got complaints about the tiny snap rings getting lost.

On the upside the rifles continue to function when badly fouled, but when fouling gets too bad the gun just stops working without warning till fully stripped and cleaned.

The shorter barrel versions are as inherently accurate as the longer barrels, only the sight radius makes a difference.

I have a Marlin 99 M1 at this time, 9-10 shots is plenty for me. It can't be beat for handiness.

Great semi .22 rifle, far more accurate than the Ruger. Crazy thing is that my Mod. 60s were always more accurate than my bolt action Marlins!

i just wish the marlin 60 trigger could be improved.

Reminds me that my old Marlin 95 carbine variation needs a firing pin.
    Last edited by blixen; 11-08-2016 at 11:18 AM.

The one I have cost $70 back when Kmart sold guns, before the shorter "New Jersey" tube came into existence but after they added the last shot bolt hold open (around 30 years ago).

As for accuracy there isn't much difference between the model 60, the Remington 597 and 10/22. They all shoot within an 1/8" of one another at 60 yards, from the examples I have.

Last edited by jmorris; 11-08-2016 at 11:37 AM.