WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: what are you using for deer this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgsquatch View Post
    Our deer season is over but I managed to get two with my Browning A bolt Synthetic Stalker in 7mm-08 Remington. Barnes lead free 130 grain bullets at 2800 fps.
    Hey, don't you know you are suppose to PC them copper color and put a lacquer finish on them in that state or get better politicians.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

I have a Austrian Werndl rifle from 1873 that I rebarreled to 45-70. This is now a legal deer season caliber in OH and I will be out there this year carrying my Werndl.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    43 Beaumont mint bore. Seco 420gr mold. Built in 1876. Good deer to kill it had a wire cut on its front leg.
    A friend has an excellent condition Beaumont that he won't let go. I would love to hunt with that fusil! Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    so far, harsh language.

I went out for the north zone opener in the Adirondack mtns. Weather was less than stellar. I took 4 rifles.

my go to rifle, a winchester model 70 in 06. loaded with 311290s and a 32 grains of IMR 4895
    a savage 99F in .308 winchester stoked with 165 trophy bonded bear claws in federal high energy factory ammo
    a ruger tang safety 77R loaded with 139 hornady interlocks and a max dose of IMR 4350
    a marlin .35 remington featuring a 200 grain saeco and reloader 7

Way to go guys! All your guns are nice but that Marlin Texan needs to move to.... Texas(my house)! Or is it a Marauder? Best, Thomas.

Boolit Mold
    44 mag in a 10 inch DW
    250 gr RCBS sip over Lil Gun
    red dot sight

Boolit Buddy
    Took a doe with a 10'' contender 45 colt and a buck with 300 wby rifle. Will probably do the rest of my hunting this season with another of my contender pistols.Probably 7mm tcu,44mag or 30-30 as i have not taken game with them yet.

Love that Beaumont!, thinkin' bout using a Remington Rolling Block I have, same vintage, .43 reformado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgvande View Post
    43 Beaumont mint bore. Seco 420gr mold. Built in 1876. Good deer to kill it had a wire cut on its front leg.

While I don't hunt in my current (temporary) home of Maryland, my deer rifle has always been my Remington Model 788 in .308 Win. My grandfather gave me the rifle when I first started hunting back in the late 80's. The rifle is just a standard 788, lighter colored wood stock and currently has a Shepherd scope. I used to have an older fixed power Weaver scope on it but the threads on the eyepiece were damaged. Up to now, I've only ever used jacketed bullets for deer. The rifle carries a great deal of sentimental value to me and even though it has been well used, it has been well cared for and definitely doesn't show its age or miles.

I also have a Remington M700 VTR in .308 for deer/elk but haven't got any blood on that rifle, yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    seems like I am holding on to my
    Win.model 70 Featherweight in 280 A.I
    more and more this season
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Been using the same rifle since '94. Winchester stainless classic M70 in 300 win mag with boss. 75.5 grains of RL22 with a mag primer and a nosler 180 partition. I've tried other loads through the years but that one seems to do it the best, .30 cal entrance and a quarter size exit at any angle. They all have folded where shot. Closest shot I ever took was 130 yards and furthest was 300, same result every time. I've tried other bullets that grouped better but didn't perform as well on meat. Will probably be using this combo for a long time to come.

Ebner

My Winchester M-70 Classic Feather Weight .308

Boolit Master
    My M70 FWT in 243, took a nice 10 pointer day before Thanksgiving.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    Love that Beaumont!, thinkin' bout using a Remington Rolling Block I have, same vintage, .43 reformado.
    i have another Beaumont barrelled action in less than stellar condition. I am trying to figure out how to put it in a modern stock with some parts from Numrich to complete it. I plan on cutting it down to 24" and putting modern open sights on it. The last 5 " of the bore is rather questionable. I believe it would be a neat gun in the bush.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456