Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Accurate .357 Magnum Rifle??

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I'm not sure where the myth about the Encore trigger is coming from, but it's a myth. My Encore has a very clean breaking trigger at a measured 3.0lbs. My Browning Low Wall has a 1 in 16 twist and shoots 158g and 180g bullets very well. For the Encore you can get you trigger even lighter with Mike Bellms trigger kits if desired. I don't find any advantage of going under 3lbs in a hunting gun.
    I agree! My first generation Contenders are extremely easy to get very light trigger pulls on but I actually like the trigger on my Encore and G2s better. Something about the way my hand fits the new guns makes a 2.5lb pull seem less than the 1.5lb pull on my Contenders.

Boolit Master
    My Ruger 77/357 has out shot all but a tc encore, and believe it or not, a handi rifle. The ruger fits all of your criteria as well. It's not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but it is by far and above the the lightest and most pleasant to handle and shoot. As stated by other, you need to mind the load it likes, but when you do, 1" groups at 100 yards are an all day thing. 38's are the same way. And if the clean breaking 4lb trigger is too heavy, volquorsin make a trigger spring to put it under 2lbs. I left mine stock and most people don't mind it because it breaks very clean. I hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    That was my experience as well with a bullberry 10" 357 max barrel on my contender. Groups were terrible with 200 gr lfn until I tried AA1680 and upped the charges. Then the group tightened right up.

To the OP, I'd suggest a custom rifle or custom barrel on a contender or encore to achieve your goal. Many factory rifles and single shot barrels have chambers that are less than ideal for top accuracy, some have a barrel twist not friendly to heavy bullets and some repeaters won't feed or chamber the heavy bullets when seated for best accuracy.

I prefer the feel of the contender to the encore, you don't need the strength of the encore for the 357 mag nor the weight.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Probably the most accurate .357 (on average) for less than $1000.00 would be an H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle. If Henry adds .357 to their new line of single shots I bet it will be accurate. Bryan Pierce is awfully fond of the Marlin 1894 Cowboy and Miroku made Winchester and Browning 92 but those are $$$.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.360DW.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	181835

Its only 50 yards, Lee .358 158 gr plain base round nose over 4.6 grains of Red Dot. Cheap, easy to make and it will stack them up.

That is 3 shots in that one hole. And yes that is a Handi Rifle single shot with a Simmons 4x12x40 scope.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.360DW.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	181835

Its only 50 yards, Lee .358 158 gr plain base round nose over 4.6 grains of Red Dot. Cheap, easy to make and it will stack them up.

That is 3 shots in that one hole. And yes that is a Handi Rifle single shot with a Simmons 4x12x40 scope.
    It matters little what rifle when groups like this are possible. Nice shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack View Post
    Glocky,

Those are impressive groups. What's an Eabco frame?
    E Arthur Brown Co. Break open semi- custom. Best, Thomas.

Interesting. Eabco is only a few miles from where I live. Will have to check them out.

Boolit Master
    Many pistol loads are very sensitive to bullet and velocity in order to match the barrel twist. When we had a .357 rifle, DA, SA and single shot pistols each of them liked a different load/bullet combo due to different twists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12