RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 464 on the way

Boolit Mold
    I just took my 464 out and shot some cast boolits. Wow. Love me some lead! 29g IMR 8208 with lee 160g rn gas checked bullet, 2.600 coal. Nice groups. Need more practice next days off!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I may have to pick one up. The Cabela's by my house has had a couple of them and they stayed in the rack a long time
    till they marked them down to $300 each and then they both sold. They were both damned nice rifles, made the brand new Marlins look downright awful. But I kept thinking maybe something is wrong with them since they sell for so cheap.
    Now I wished I had picked one up. Will be on the lookout for one now.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds good, have to remember that!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I think they are cheap for three reasons.

1) Mossberg has a pretty bad reputation, and there are some negative reviews for 464s out there, mostly I think because people are using too short OAL factory ammo. These things are made for max OAL!

2) The initial introduction had butt-ugly wood. Now, for about 40 bucks more, you get really nice walnut and OK checkering. But the original stigma of being butt-ugly is still there.

3) It isn't a Marlin or a Winchester. People pay more for just names sometimes, not necessarily value.

My 464 is no worse in any way than the multitudes of economy grade 336's and 94's that have been turned out over the years. Actually, my example has better parts fit and finish than alot of more expensive rifles. Looked at some new Savage 110's the other day and see they are still free floating the barrels so much that you can see the grain detail in the bottom of the channel. I completely agree that no one is ever going to look at Mossy as a premier gunmaker, or even in the same vein as Remington and Winchester's better efforts. Making cheap guns that work is in the company's DNA and there's nothing at all wrong with that. It does mean that the ATR/4x4/Patriot/whatever Mossy calls it nowadays may be a very good rifle but no one is ever going to covet it like a pre-'64 model 70 or even a nice 700 BDL.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thought I should post an update. I finally had the chance to try some Lee C309-150-RF slugs in the 464 and discovered the throat is awfully tight. Chambering rounds is pretty tough and the rifling is engraving the boolits. Jwords chamber and shoot just fine. On the upside, the bore is very shiny and has quite well defined rifling, it may have in fact been unfired when I got it.

I'm thinking maybe I should run a hundred or so jwords through it and then try boolits again. Maybe the rifling in the leade will be compacted enough to allow easy chambering. These Lee boolits seem to be a bore riding design, they shoot well in my Marlins but do chamber snugly.

Boolit Master
    I just got that mold for my 308 so will have to try it in my 464. The boolits from my new mold drop right at 156 gr (about 160 with GC) using my own alloy. My 308 certainly has liked them so far after only one trip to the range but I still prefer the Lyman 130 PB over TB for gong ringing and coyote rolling in the 464 30/30.

I tried some 150 grain jwords over 30 grains Varget in the 464 today. They shot as well as my pet loads for my Marlins, at least offhand at 40 yards in fading light. Hopefully I can try them again this weekend. The factory front sight was way too tall. I replaced it with a Marbles .450 white bead prior to shooting today.

I have the Lee C309-113-RF which also works great in .30 WCF. That one is just too much fun, heck mebbe I'll make it the dedicated boolit for the 464.

I finally handled a walnut/ pistol grip version the other day. For the same price ($375) next to it was a Marlin 336W. Had I bought one it would have been the Mossberg. If they see fit to offer it in .444 or .450 Marlin I will get one. I don't care for the extra safety but such is life.
    Best, Thomas.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I finally handled a walnut/ pistol grip version the other day. For the same price ($375) next to it was a Marlin 336W. Had I bought one it would have been the Mossberg. If they see fit to offer it in .444 or .450 Marlin I will get one. I don't care for the extra safety but such is life.
    Best, Thomas.
    I have the 464 with the pistol grip.

That rifle is so light...that it would be brutal to shoot in .444 and .450...I would not have one in either of those cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I have the 464 with the pistol grip.

That rifle is so light...that it would be brutal to shoot in .444 and .450...I would not have one in either of those cartridges.
    Shoot-n-lead; I didn't say I would shoot factory loads in it! If I did, I would use the Lead Sled on the bench and a slip on Limbsaver for field positions.
    A 12 gauge single shot with 3" loads and a plastic buttplate- now you're talking recoil!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A 12 gauge single shot with 3" loads and a plastic buttplate- now you're talking recoil!
    I grew up shooting the very type gun you are talking about...H&R Topper 48...so, I know what you mean.

But, I can tell you, the .450, in particular, would definitely rival the old Topper.

The 464 is way nicer than the 336W, you got that right. I hope Mossy continues to make it. The Winchester 94 has a lively feel and natural pointability like a fine 28 gauge shotgun, an attribute which the 464 continues. Another thing I like is OEM rubber butt pad on the 464 works suprisingly well. It feels comfortable against my bony shoulder and actually does absorb some recoil. The tang safety doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like the extra margin of safety it provides when I'm crossing a fence or climbing in a tree stand. It takes a fair amount of effort to engage and I can easily tell whether it is on or off by feel. It's nearly the same as the safety on my Mossberg 500 so I am already accustomed to it. For $300.00 I am very happy with this rifle and the fancier version might join it someday.

Bought me a can of Unique today and already have a bunch of Lee C309-113-RF slugs ready to go. Any load suggestions for the 464?

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I grew up shooting the very type gun you are talking about...H&R Topper 48...so, I know what you mean.

But, I can tell you, the .450, in particular, would definitely rival the old Topper.
    I know. I loaded 405grs to 2100 fps in my custom P14 and shot most of them from offhand!

Rolled up some Lee C309-113-RF with 10 and 10.5 grains Unique and gave 'em a try last night. To my surprise, the elevation was almost identical to a 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter over 30 grains Varget. The light was fading and I was having trouble determining the relationship of the front sight to bullseye so the groups were pretty wide but still well within minute of coyote at 50 yards. I'm going to try 11 grains next. If I can develop loads with 150 and 113 grain boolits that have the same POI I'll be a happy man for sure!

A bit of weirdness: these rounds had previously been full length resized, trimmed to length, and then fired with the aforementioned jword loads in the 464. I just used my RCBS neck size die to load the Lee 113's. When shooting I discovered that about half the rounds were too fat to easily go into the chamber, they took some effort. None of the boolits were being engraved by the rifling, and the fired shells still didn't want to chamber easily. I reloaded the box of shells when I got home and full length sized the troublesome rounds, after which they slid right into the chamber no problem. What gives here? Do some rounds just need to be full length sized more than once before they take to neck sizing?

Boolit Master
    Sometimes that happens in our desire to keep as close as possible to chamber and throat. I take the full length resizer and pull the deprimer shaft and lube the offending cartridge lightly and run up till i feel resistance. Give a alittle more shove and then see if it chambers. repeat till it chambers. I then shootem and try remember not to get in that predicament again!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Thanks for the tip, will remember that. Yesterday I tried out 11 grains of Unique and got some pretty bad accuracy. Also experienced some leading, which has never happened before. A few of the cases had sticky extraction so looks like I need to back off on the powder charge. Admittedly these boolits are a few years old and were only lubed with a single coat of LLA so they may be pretty marginal. I'll probably cast some fresh boolits lubed with Tac-X and start at 7 grains Unique and work up to wherever the best accuracy happens. My Lyman manual lists some pretty high charges of Unique for 170 grain boolits, like up to 11 grains. Unless Lyman knows something I don't that just doesn't sound safe at all.

Boolit Master
    This thread is the first time i have seen the safey that everybody complains about. I think i like it.

It doesn't bother me a bit. I like the option of turning the safety on when climbing a tree, crossing a rocky creek, or riding in a vehicle and I can tell by feel whether it is engaged or not.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast