MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 464 on the way

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thought I would post an update. The 464 is doing great with 8.8 grains Unique/Lee C309-113-RF. This is supposed to be a .32-20 boolit but it loads and shoots like it was made for the .30 WCF. I don't even use a separate flare die when loading, the Lee resizing die opens it up enough for the boolit to slide right in. I do finish with the FCD as I do all my rifle loads.

This rifle and load is more accurate than I can hold, one of a very few centerfire loads I have ever tried that I can just pick up and start shooting offhand and get respectable accuracy like my Henry H001T .22 LR. Previously my 1894 .357 served that role, now I'm not so sure. I was amazed at how well these things penetrate. They have no problem going all the way through a 10" log of somewhat mushy and homogenous wood at 35 yards. The same log has no trouble absorbing .38 Special and 9mm slugs at 7 yards. Should be effective for varmints, on four legs or two if the need arose. Looks like it's mass production time!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have one the tacti-cool versions of the Mossberg 30-30 awesome gun reliable and very accurate Loves the FTX bullets.

I applaud Mossy for trying to do something different with the levergun, but it just ain't for me. I do think a .223/5.56 lever action that used M16 mags would be pretty cool. Henry, are you listening?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I like that idea but the utility of the lever gun in those states that prohibits or greatly prohibit the ownership of so called black guns this fills a really nice nitch. Plus it makes such a great truck gun. I have AO sights on it and a muzzle break that takes the 165 grain down to 22 mag recoil levels.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 07-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Long overdue update. I still have the 464 and shoot it quite a bit. Most of my shooting nowadays is with the Lee 150 grain. Seems easier to get an accurate load with this one than the 113. 27 grains IMR 4895 is pretty accurate, at least out to 65 yards. I know my limits and don't shoot at anything without a scope beyond that distance.

I have had two annoying problems with the 464. It could use a stronger hammer spring. Some lots of primers will produce light strikes, and with all of them you can tell it doesn't hit with the same authority as my Marlins or 1978 Winchester 94. I have disassembled the bolt and cleaned all the crud out of of the firing pin channel, of which there was very little. I really can't find anything wrong with the parts and everything seems dimensionally correct. So, I'm going to experiment with different hammer springs when I get a chance.

Second, extraction and ejection has always been quite marginal. The 464 uses a Marlin style extractor, a piece of spring steel that clips to the bolt body and has a hook formed on the end to catch the cartridge rim. I experimented with bending the hook inward and outward, which can easily be done with taking anything apart. After some bending the problem seems to be resolved, however the steel of this extractor seems more thin and malleable than that of a Marlin. So, it may get bent back out of shape again. I wrote Mossy and asked nicely if they could send me a new one. If not, I'll look into modifying a Marlin extractor.

Otherwise, I have been pretty happy with the 464. My particular example is a bit of a lemon, however every low cost lever action is at risk of being one. They just aren't as easy to produce for a low retail cost with consistent quality as a synthetic stock bolt action is. Given that the problems have been relatively minor and I'm just using the rifle for practice mostly, I am willing to deal with it.

I have never had an issue with factory cartridges in my 464 and carried it with Hornady 140 grain LE's last fall. As it is not D&T for a receiver sight I just scoped mine with a 1.75X5 Vortex. Deer did not cooperate when I carried it. I think it would be a worthwhile rifle to do some of the modifications you mention. The main rifle is fairly solid. Look at all the mods they do on cowboy rifles.

DEP

Banned

Mine has been 100%
    Like it a lot
    But it has not gotten heavy use
    So far, so good
    My opinion, it that it is a great deal for the $$$

Mossberg got back to me. They politely suggested that I call the parts department and order a new extractor for $6.50 or so. I bought the gun used and they have already fixed it once on their dime so I think that is fair enough. For the average hunter using nothing but factory ammo it probably would work just fine. I will admit that most of my cartridges have been reloaded to death and the rims are pretty beat up. As is, it would probably extract new factory cartridges no problem. The 464 is a fun gun to shoot and certainly no worse than a Remlin 336A for the same price. Hopefully I can shoot it some more this weekend.

'Nother thing: The factory magazine tube spring on these rifles is not particularly strong. Every now and again, a cartridge will get stuck halfway out of the mag tube onto the lifter. I deburred everything when I had it apart and made sure the cartridge stop on the front of the link is not too long and dragging on the cartridge. I bought a universal .30-30 tube spring from Fleabay which comes about 40" long so it can be trimmed to the necessary length. The original spring is about 26" long. I decided to purposefully leave the new spring longer so as to put more force on the cartridge follower. After comparing the two, I trimmed the new one to about 32" and tried it. Getting the last few inches into the tube was a challenge for sure!

That done, I cycled some rounds to see how it did. Wow, takes a noticeable effort to get all six in there now, and the magazine pushes new cartridges onto the lifter with authority no matter how fast I cycle the action.

Also ordered a couple of new extractors from Mossy today, they are only like $7.50 each. Was messing with the original one and the hook on the end of it is too flat to reliably grab the rim of the cartridge. I fiddled with bending it to different positions to no avail, it just needs to be replaced. I have read that at some point Mossy did change the design of the extractor slightly to improve extraction.

New parts showed up today. The extractor seems sharper and more angled than the original, hopefully that solves the problem.

Got my new parts installed and gave the 464 a try with 17 grains SR4759 under a Lee 170. At 65 yards I was making a 2.5" group which is as good as I can do off a bipod with my eyesight and no scope. The rifle now extracts and fires as good as any of my others. This rifle has taken some effort but is turning out nicely, I'm quite happy with it.

This would be a good time to show us a picture of your rifle been waiting 2 years to see it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

I want one of the brush gun versions with the short barrel, satin stainless finish and laminated stock. I'll have one someday.

I wish Mossberg would make some other variants of it. If they made a long barreled, version with a checkered pistol grip stock and a two thirds magazine tube, I'd buy one in a heart beat. A .35 Remington of .375 Winchester chambering would be nice too, but it'll probably never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    This would be a good time to show us a picture of your rifle been waiting 2 years to see it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Sure will, unfortunately this forum is not taking my pics right now.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I want one of the brush gun versions with the short barrel, satin stainless finish and laminated stock. I'll have one someday.

I wish Mossberg would make some other variants of it. If they made a long barreled, version with a checkered pistol grip stock and a two thirds magazine tube, I'd buy one in a heart beat. A .35 Remington of .375 Winchester chambering would be nice too, but it'll probably never happen.
    I would like to see Mossy make some other variants, however I concede that the market for them is probably quite limited outside of people on this forum. I think the biggest problem is that nobody is going to pay a huge amount for a lever action rifle with Mossberg stamped on it. When you start getting close to a grand, or even in the $600-700.00 range, it has to be a Marlin or Winchester or a quality replica thereof. I like my 464 and would take it over the current Marlin 336A or the average 94 Ranger. I really hope Mossy continues to produce it, more affordable lever actions are a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

They make a walnut stocked pistol gripped version that would fill the bill as described above if made.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Day before yesterday I tested a "new" load in my 464 on my 45 yard front porch range. It was a 182 gr RFGC from an old 31141 Lyman single cavity mold I recently bought at a garage sale. The powder charge was 18.8 gr of RE-7. This is the heaviest boolit I have tried in it and I think that mold was a custom since even the older books say it is supposed to drop at 170-173 gr. The ten shot group was 1.75 inches using the Skinner sight and the rifle hand held. Once again my 464 consumes anything I have fed it in the last 8 years.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Day before yesterday I tested a "new" load in my 464 on my 45 yard front porch range. It was a 182 gr RFGC from an old 31141 Lyman single cavity mold I recently bought at a garage sale. The powder charge was 18.8 gr of RE-7. This is the heaviest boolit I have tried in it and I think that mold was a custom since even the older books say it is supposed to drop at 170-173 gr. The ten shot group was 1.75 inches using the Skinner sight and the rifle hand held. Once again my 464 consumes anything I have fed it in the last 8 years.
    The molds drop weight is based on #2 alloy. I used softer alloy in a mold rated 175 grains and got 188 with gas check. See that a lot.

DEP

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast