Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 464 on the way

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Mossberg 464 on the way

Today the fun store had a like new Mossberg 464 .30-30 on the rack with the standard blue finish and straight grip wood stock for $300. You aren't going to find a Marlin or Winchester in this condition at that price around here so I layawayed it.

I had a 464 awhile back. Nice rifle that liked boolits and I think an actual improvement over the late model Winchester 94. I ended up selling it to pay off some bills. When I bail this one out I am going to have it properly drilled and tapped for a receiver sight, probably a Lyman 66.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    That's a fine price for a fine 30-30!! Enjoy!
    Hick: Iron sights!

Let us know how it does. I've only seen the dumb tacticool version. But the blued& wood one looks great in pictures. $300 sounds like a deal to me.

Boolit Master

Just a heads up. Soft primer strikes and likes to be shot dirty. I had one and couldn't figure it out. Several soft primer strikes with no bang, both commercial and handloads. Figuring a load up for the gun was very challenging. I would get a load dialed in and make up 50 rounds or so for the next trip to the range. Shot all over the place, till it had about 20 rounds through it and then it would settle down. Just a pain. There is a reason that you are getting it for $300, I tried to sell mine for that and no store would give me more than $200 for it. Had to sell it on our local gun trader site for $280. Maybe you will have better luck, I've heard they like the Hornady Leverrevoution ammo, but at a buck or more a round, not for me.

Banned

I love mine
    Want another

Boolit Mold
    Mine loves ftx handloads. I put 30g of IMR 8208xbr in that case and shoots 2" groups at 100yds, with a williams peep.

I cannot figure out my cast bullets yet. I was all over the place with the lead. Like 18" right. Not sure why...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Banned

I have liked what I've seen of these, though have never shot one.

Boolit Master

I have one myself, the SPX (plastic) model. I still can't decide if it is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Picked it up for $280.
    I haven't shot it a lot, but with what I've done it shoots well.

The plan was to get it for Mrs Bookworm, as she is small framed, and the adjustable stock could be made to fit her better than her Marlin 336. And I want my 336 back.

Unfortunately, the plan is progressing slowly. Mrs Bookworm is suspicious of my intentions.

Thanks everybody. I'm really looking forward to bailing it out. I love the 94 design but not with Winchester's horrid quality control. This is a humble Mossberg but looks and feels like they took pride in making it, as does my 500 20 gauge.

Braddonovan67: What kind of Williams sight are you using? Got any pics?

Kungfustyle: The late model 94's had problems with light strikes so it's not surprising that the 464 would also. The bore is very shiny and the finish is a conservative 98%. I really doubt the rifle has been fired much at all. Not to say the rifle couldn't have problems, but I believe the reason it went for $300.00 is because it's not a Winchester or Marlin and my local guy sells used guns at very reasonable prices. In any event, if it does have problems Mossberg's customer service is really good and my dealer stands behind every gun he sells.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Bought one this year and have mixed feelings about it. Trigger pull is not the best and its lever safety is a bit awkward as the gap can pinch some skin on occasion. I has some problems with a couple of handloads on light primer strikes but none with factory. Only load plinkers in the 30-30 as factory loads are inexpensive and work well on deer.
    I have a Rossi 357 and feel the 464 is a better rifle in all respects as the 30-30 is more versatile as a knock around rifle and it can take a normal scope. Why neither can come D&T for a receiver sight as the lever goes with a receiver sight like potatoes and gravy. I put a 1-5 power scope on mine and will likely use it in that manner as my other 30-30 is a waffle top and untapped. Most think its sacrilege to D&T them for a scope. There is a U-tube tutorial for trigger work on the 464. Its a good rifle for the money and should be more popular than it is.

DP

I don't know why it is not drilled and tapped either. I am planning to mount my receiver sight with double sided tape first and then shoot it to make sure it is in the location I want. Then, have it drilled and tapped for permanent installation. I may try to do it myself as I have cut alot of threads in my time, we'll see.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks everybody. I'm really looking forward to bailing it out. I love the 94 design but not with Winchester's horrid quality control. This is a humble Mossberg but looks and feels like they took pride in making it, as does my 500 20 gauge.

Braddonovan67: What kind of Williams sight are you using? Got any pics?

Kungfustyle: The late model 94's had problems with light strikes so it's not surprising that the 464 would also. The bore is very shiny and the finish is a conservative 98%. I really doubt the rifle has been fired much at all. Not to say the rifle couldn't have problems, but I believe the reason it went for $300.00 is because it's not a Winchester or Marlin and my local guy sells used guns at very reasonable prices. In any event, if it does have problems Mossberg's customer service is really good and my dealer stands behind every gun he sells.

This is the 12/37 f5 with a peep apeture. I ordered it from western gun parts in Edmonton. Good service and help. You will have to drill and tap the receiver for the 12/37. I ordered the drill and tap (6-48) from fastenal. It took a week to come in. Love it, shoots great. All in I spent 45$ on the sight, and 55$ on the tap and bit.

Excellent! Currently bidding on a 12/37 on Fleabay. Did you use a drill press to make the holes? Nearest gunsmith I would trust to do it is more than an hour away and I would have to take off work to bring it to him. I used to be a car mechanic and still have my big SAE/metric tap and die set. It saved my rear many times!

Boolit Mold
    Excellent! Currently bidding on a 12/37 on Fleabay. Did you use a drill press to make the holes? Nearest gunsmith I would trust to do it is more than an hour away and I would have to take off work to bring it to him. I used to be a car mechanic and still have my big SAE/metric tap and die set. It saved my rear many times!
    As long as you have a 6-48, you're good. Use a drill press. I didnt.

Moderator Emeritus

Ferguson, I bought a Mossberg 464 last January and didn't have chance to shoot it until yesterday. Mine shot as well as any of my other leverguns and functioned perfectly. The trigger may need a little work, I'm guessing it's a good 6 lbs. maybe more but crisp, it's just a little to heavy for my tastes. I mounted an old, old steel tube, 3X, Weaver on it using Kwik-Site rings and mounts http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/c-292-combo.aspx They were about $25 with shipping and arrived in 3 business days.

In all, I shot about 30-35 rounds of factory 150 gr. and 170 gr. My groups were from 2 1/2" to 4" at 100 yards. The loads that I will carry Saturday morning (the opening morning of the whitetail season in Texas) are the Federal 170 gr. They shot 4 rounds into about an 1 1/2". the fifth round opened the group to 3". Plenty good for the thick, dense oak and youpon thickets down here in the lower Brazos river bottoms. All in all, I really like this rifle. It's not a pre-64 Winchester or a JM marked Marlin but it looks good to me.

Now that I'm finally retired and moved to the country, I look forward to slugging the barrel and working up a cast boolit for it. Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know why it is not drilled and tapped either. I am planning to mount my receiver sight with double sided tape first and then shoot it to make sure it is in the location I want. Then, have it drilled and tapped for permanent installation. I may try to do it myself as I have cut alot of threads in my time, we'll see.
    Goop is another way to temporarily mount a sight and it comes off fairly easily

Don Verna

Thanks Don, will remember that.

Treetop, my experience has long been that the .30 WCF is most accurate when it is downloaded a bit from factory, around 2000 fps. 30 grains IMR 4064 and a 150 grain Sierra averages a bit more than an inch at 100 yards from my Marlin Glenfield 30. The 336 Texan likes it too, although that one usually eats boolits. This load is easy to shoot and usually produces one shot kills on deer with entry and exit for me.

I got to looking through my gun junkyard and found a perfectly good Williams 5D 94-36 receiver sight. It fits the 336 and 94 with mounting holes on the side of the receiver. It looks to me like it would work on the 464 too once the holes were drilled.

Boolit Buddy

Before you drop a bunch of money on a trigger job try doing this:
    Make sure the rifle is UNLOADED !
    Cock it, Push on the back of the hammer with a considerable amount of pressure, then pull the trigger while maintaining that pressure.
    Do this a couple of times, 4 or 5 does it.
    Trigger pull will smooth out and it will feel lighter.
    I've done this with several exposed hammer rifles I own and seems to always do the trick.
    Hope this helps!

CPL Lou
    CPL Lou

Cool, will give that a try!

Boolit Master
    Good for you. Everyone should have at least one 30-30 in their closet. Good idea to have drilled & taped and try the trigger Tip commented by CPL LOU.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast