Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Classic Turret press question

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.

Lee Classic Turret press question

Those of you that own a Lee Classic Turret have you ever removed the front column to gain more finger room ? I need more finger room. I do not use the Safety prime setup. Thanks, Jerry

You would lose all the strength built into the system by doing that and probably break the press into the bargain. Just using two of the three columns would be a disaster.

What tazman said. If he tells you a rooster dips snuff, you just need to look under his wing for the can.

Leon

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    Thanks, I do see what you are saying, I thought maybe someone had an aftermarket bracket that would work. Thanks, Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    What tazman said. If he tells you a rooster dips snuff, you just need to look under his wing for the can.

Leon
    Now I have to go get my head deflated. That will probably happen tomorrow at the range.
    By the way, your fish is a lot bigger than mine. I'm jealous.
    Last edited by tazman; 10-31-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    I also have large hands and it took a while to get use to the Lee Turret press.
    I use the priming system and this system took time to learn to use.
    With small primers one jumps out and falls on the floor, I have been placing my left hand open up under the primer feed to catch the primers that jump out.
    Been thinking about some form of small catch pan that swings in and out to catch the primer that falls out. The primer falling on the floor bothers me since I do not always find the primer on the floor. Adding three additional primers usually will result in primer installation when the primer count in the feed gets low.

I put the powder in the primed cases as a separate operation just to be safer in the powder installation. Always worry about a double charge or an empty case before seating and crimping the bullets.

By checking the alignment on your safety prime, you can nearly eliminate the dropped primers. The priming mechanism must approach the ram in line with the swing out primer cup. If they are not lined up, then dropped or crooked-in-the-cup primers are a regular occurrence.
    I found there is enough difference between the large and small primer mechanisms that the alignment must be adjusted every time I change primer sizes on my machine.
    As long as I keep the alignment correct, I drop 1 out of maybe 200 primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    By checking the alignment on your safety prime, you can nearly eliminate the dropped primers. The priming mechanism must approach the ram in line with the swing out primer cup. If they are not lined up, then dropped or crooked-in-the-cup primers are a regular occurrence.
    I found there is enough difference between the large and small primer mechanisms that the alignment must be adjusted every time I change primer sizes on my machine.
    As long as I keep the alignment correct, I drop 1 out of maybe 200 primers.
    This is not what we need; somebody that observes, sees what works and uses that. THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

Much better to just 'wing it', fail, and then blame the tool.

Tongue in cheek, cucks...

I found that having the shell holder pointing in a direction that gives you best access. I find forward ain't it. Side and slightly to the left works best for me.

I really like the LCT but there are some O presses that are set so the open side is angled toward you, or a C press will be more open. Might be worth checking into.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Gave up on priming on all my presses. Now i just sit on the couch and hand prime in big batches. Takes a lot of hassle out of the process.

Tazman, I've caught fish that size also, I just don't show the picture.

I don't prime on either press, I just prime with a Lee Auto Prime, or a RCBS bench primer for large primers. Works for me.

Be sure to vote today!

Leon

I guess I'm the odd man out here...I load primers one at a time on the press (turret or classic cast) by spreading them out in an old "flip" box that aligns them all...and simply picking them up one at a time and placing them in the little priming arm on the press..I keep my hands really clean and once in a while use an alcohol wipe to just kill any oils...been doing this for years and to my knowledge have never had a primer issue....I think it's about as fast as using the "safety prime" on the press and even when well adjusted the safety prime still has issues for me...I have several of the old round tray hand loading units in the drawer which I might use now and then..but seldom..they exposed primers in the tray to a chain explosion if things go bad...I've used them off and on for years and have never set one off but I've read of it happening...loading with my fingers is no different than loading on the little lee single primer adapter for the hand press (got one of those too and have primed many shells on it as well)..I guess simple is best for me.

The priming setup on my LCT used to drop primers regularly and didn't work to good at all. I added a spacer under the plastic arm that bolts to the press (.250" thick) and aligned it with the primer arm. Now it rarely drops a primer and if it does it is usually my fault. I don't have to adjust when going from the small primer arm to large primer arm and back. Adding extra washers or a spacer under the bracket is a fix that I learned on another forum.

Boolit Master

i hand prime with a rcbs hand prime tool, and a lee turret press. I do keep the shell holder pointed slightly to the side.

no issues.