Wideners
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Show me your battle rifle

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    My German Girl GEW 98 that was Turked in Czechoslovakia Thanks to Blammer:
    Attachment 179951
    Attachment 179952
    Attachment 179953

JW--I'd like to hear a bit more about your Mauser. Some of your description lost me...I understand Gew 98, and that many, many were given to the Turks in WW I by the Germans as war aid. I know that many of them were remodeled to the standard rifle they developed in 1935. Your third photo has the telltale front barrel band and cleaning rod. But what do you mean "Turked in Czechoslovakia"? And I'm also curious about what the legend is on your rifle's receiver ring is? Does it still bear the German arsenal's name/marking, or does it have the Turk ASTCFA Ankara marking?
    DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Ahhh..well, the calibrated eye said .32, but I was wrong on which .32. Can you take a close up of the priming system?
    Here you go!
    Real easy to load too. just tap the bullet onto the case. then dipper in your powder from the bottom. seat the blank. Done.

COZ--sounds interesting--but all I see are two little back boxes with Xs in them. I guess your photos didn't upload or something.

Ahhh...the photos are visible today! Very interesting, and thank you for posting them. I'd never heard of this system before, although I see where many others have, because there's a very long thread on this system for the .32 Short Rimfire in the Rimfire Area forum. Strange, as I've purchased the Dixie Gunworks catalog for years--I guess my interests never ran in this direction. Never having owned one of these rifles, I'm wondering why this priming system is being used. Is it because the hammer is set up for firing rimfires and not regular primers? Seems a conversion would be an easy thing--but maybe not a desirable thing if one wants to preserve the rifle in the original condition. Is the rifle a Stevens?
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 11-05-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    All of my battle rifles have been civilized, some guy named Bubba did a bunch of them. Still like 'em though.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160818_104303.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	180107

1954 K31, 16.1" barrel set up for my Sig 7.62 Ti QD. Tritium sights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160815_164358.jpg  
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master

Name:	Picture0003.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	180113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0003 (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	180114

My 1955 H&R Garand. All original except the stock
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    All of my battle rifles have been civilized, some guy named Bubba did a bunch of them. Still like 'em though.
    That doesn't preclude you from posting a photo or two! The O.P. expanded the thread to include any rifle that you're proud of. I have a few of them myself, but I didn't make them that way. If I acquire a bubba-ized rifle, and can't put it back to original, I happily use it "as is". They have a place in the shooting/hunting world, filling that slot "inexpensive but good". They're usually of high quality, because no nation equips its troops with junk and the issued weapon is usually the best available at the time (taking politics into account!), and are more than adequate for hunting.

Attachment 180137Attachment 180138
    Click to enlarge.

This one wears a Bushnell Banner scope recently purchased from a forum member and an ATI scope mount. I originally fitted it with a B-Square mount, but it was less satisfactory than the ATI. Not knocking B-Square, as I've used their mounts on many rifles in the past and they worked out well. This rifle needs to go to the range again with its new mount/scope combo, but I have a good feeling about it.
    DG

Boolit Master
    I would love to have a extremely well done, sporterized Krag Jorgensen.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Hi, Smokey. Well, if you mean as nicely done as your Dad did the Garand, you'll be looking a long time! I am a lover of Krags and have perhaps two dozen. My belief is that the Krag carbine is just about the perfect as-is sporter, and my tastes have always run in that direction. When I acquired a badly bubba-ized specimen, whether originally a carbine or cut down rifle, my inclination has been to restore it or convert it to carbine configuration in as much as is/was possible, because I find the carbine to be an almost perfect example of "form follows function." Nice looking, but no real frills. However, as time passed I acquired some that were in respectable sporter stocks and left them pretty much as I found them. You are correct, there are some very nicely done sporters out there, but they mostly seem to come from the 1920s-30s eras when they were converted by the old time 'smiths who had a different idea of what looked good than we do today. You'll find many with pieced-in pistol grips, etc.
    Here are some examples of those old time sporters, 1st photo, and some of those I turned into projects, 2nd photo. Two more modern conversions, probably from the 1960s are shown in the 3rd photo.

Attachment 180172Attachment 180171 Attachment 180178
    Click to enlarge.

This one might be my favorite. I purchased it from an on-line auction, as I did most of them, and when I received it I concluded that it had been run over by someone's pickup truck in deer camp. The receiver was somewhat squashed, but with a little heat and urging it returned to it's original configuration. I was happy, and rewarded it with a nice piece of wood and a polish job.
    Attachment 180179

My last word, I guess, is that considering that they were designed in the late 1800s they were a mechanical marvel. It's a testimony to the design that there are still so many of them being carried around in the forest and shot at the rifle ranges. Even with the advent of CNC machining I doubt if they could be produced at an affordable price today. If they have any limitations it is just the metallurgy of the time in which they were produced and the single locking lug of the bolt. Most of them have or will develop headspace problems, but it can be corrected or compensated for. I'd say if that special rifle you'd like to have comes along, grab it!
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 11-05-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Sp.

Boolit Master
    Have to admit, I would like to see one fitted with a Mannlicher type stock, like the Garand.

Wouldn't be the slightest bit ashamed to show up at the range with any of your Krags; all good stuff. I'm envious of your Krag collection. Was just out in the shop trying to do some cleaning and came across a spare Krag bolt that I bought nearly a year ago.

I have a model '76 Winchester that looks like it may have rattled around on the floor of a buckboard for years. It's one of my favorite rifles. They don't have to be pretty to be a joy to hold and shoot.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Some of my battle rifles I have collected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfoci4fe51...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	180213
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    JW--I'd like to hear a bit more about your Mauser. Some of your description lost me...I understand Gew 98, and that many, many were given to the Turks in WW I by the Germans as war aid. I know that many of them were remodeled to the standard rifle they developed in 1935. Your third photo has the telltale front barrel band and cleaning rod. But what do you mean "Turked in Czechoslovakia"? And I'm also curious about what the legend is on your rifle's receiver ring is? Does it still bear the German arsenal's name/marking, or does it have the Turk ASTCFA Ankara marking?
    DG
    DG,
    I know that my rifle was changed to Clip feed:
    The only information I can go By is from our Member Buckshot
    Let me Quote Him since I can not find the Original Thread:
    "The Turkish M98 clones produced in Turkey are externally essentially of model 1898 dimensions, EXCEPT they are threaded for the small shank (1894, 95, and 96 threads. They're stamped on the receiver ring in four lines: T-C, ASFA, ANKARA, K.KALE . GENERALLY, almost always large shank actions do not have the K.Kale stamped on the ring."
    Mine is large ring has the Crest but is not stamped K.Kale and Still retains a number of the German markings Also it is stamped in a few places "CZ"
    Strangely enough I guess I never photo documented these areas but I will get some pics to post
    For all purposed my rifle looks like a GEW98 except for Remarked crest and Clip Load Mod It does retain the old and New SN#s
    I'm not an expert on this but when I saw it for sale it was about the time I had read Buckshots threads so I knew it wasn't a just the normal Turk..
    But even if it was it still shoots like a dream with that 29" barrel ( it just asked for a receiver sight and an aperture front!)
    Wish I could tell you more history
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Mold
    The Turks converted many gew98 rifles to the m38 standard. They will likely be marked ASFA or Ankara - often dated 1937 in my observation but some even in the 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, JW, I'll be looking forward to any photos you can take and post. I am not exactly a Turk collector, but have handled many of them, and am always interested in learning more. In general, I would confirm Buckshot's observations on the ring size (large) and the thread shank (small) and the stampings one normally finds on these receivers. I can not confirm or deny the part about those which were originally large ring with large shank not being stamped with the K.Kale markings, as I've never seen one. I do have in my collected assortment an original Gew 98 sent to Turkey as war aid and which was not altered at all except for the addition of crescent moon markings. I would be very interested in seeing the alteration that you believe changed your specimen to a clip loader, since Gew 98s were originally manufactured as clip loaders and no alteration should have been necessary for it to use standard stripper clips. On the other hand, the Gew 88 (which I know yours is not one of, and which we aren't discussing) was made for an en-bloc Mannlicher clip and originally required no charger guides, but when later modified to the 88/05 model which saw extensive use during WW I clip guides were welded onto the receiver. The CZ markings on your rifle would definitely have it passing through Czechoslovokia , something for which I presently have no explanation, unless perhaps Turkey sold off rifles that did not conform to the new pattern and the Czechs bought some of them. I certainly agree with you that they shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Some of my battle rifles I have collected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfoci4fe51...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	180213
    Very nice collection, and they all appear to be in exceptionally nice condition. Butts to left, third from left, is that one Japanese? Otherwise, I can readily identify all of them. I'd know that one also, if I could see the bolt's cocking piece.

Attachment 180222
    Here are a pair of German Gew 88 rifles. Good boolit shooters.

Boolit Master

Very nice collection, and they all appear to be in exceptionally nice condition. Butts to left, third from left, is that one Japanese? Otherwise, I can readily identify all of them. I'd know that one also, if I could see the bolt's cocking piece.
    Japanese Type 38 - nice call. And thanks for the comments my friend.

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	180230
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 11-06-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Hmm...I took this to mean "Show me the rifle that you would take into battle.", but posts seem to indicate otherwise.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Super Moderator

M1884 Trapdoor, M1871 Mauser, MkIV Martini-Henry, M1879 Argentine contract Rem RB. All of these were basically contemporaneous. The bayonet for the Rem RB is just above it.

M38 Carcano Fucile Corto, 7.35x52mm 'SA' marked so like a lot of'em it'd been to Finland.

EM Nagant made Comblain 11x42R Brazilian Engineer's Carbine. Probably delivered in 1892.

Turked M1888 German GEW 88/05/14. Action Turk dated 1935.

Swedish Ag42B 6.5x55.

1894 Swede Carbine

1896 Swede Mauser
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-06-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast