Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Show me your battle rifle

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    So much to see and admire in this thread!

Dromia has lavished much care and affection to that very nice looking rifle of his. I think he and I share similar personal tastes in how we like our rifles to look. Although I will not cut one down, toss handguards, etc., I am not at all above refinishing the stock, and his is a very nice example.
    Beautiful rifle, dromia.

Marty.toms.3 -- your neighbor is indeed skilled to have added 3" to the barrel. The joint is not visible, so I assume that it falls under the front band which is another well thought out idea. Also, he showed skill in getting the front sight to thread to top dead center. As for what great rifles the P-14s are, you won't get any argument from me. A bit heavy perhaps, but so is my favorite M1. (In fact, at my age the Win. 94 feels about right!)

Leebuilder -- what can I say? All of your rifles look so good! I'll bet the target sights on those rifles are worth more than the rifles themselves.
    The joint was not under the front band and it indexed perfectly first try. He is a retired history professor and self taught gunsmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yes when I bought the rifles them sights were worth more than the rifles, now the rifles are worth much more.
    lClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Albion04.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	182406
    Hard to believe the prices
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Old Adds

Or how about my favorite Mauser, the 1891.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser 1891 Add_000.jpg   Mauser 1891 Add_001.jpg   Mauser 1891 05-800.jpg   Mauser 1891 04-800-90%.jpg   Mauser 1891 01-800-90%.jpg  

Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    The worlds greatest design.
    Something is wrong with your photo, You say worlds greatest design but I see a FAL and not a HK-91...I'm confused
    My firearms project blog

Attachment 182483Russian Finn Captured SVT-40, M48 and one of my 91/30s.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argentine.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	182532 Well, the deer isn't much to talk about, so let me tell you about my dad's 1891 Argentine Mauser. One of my first memories was sneaking into Mom and Dad's bedroom and fondling the "Deer and Coyote" rifle. It didn't take me long to figure out that when you rotated the lever on the back of the bolt, it unlocked the bolt. What really surprised me was that a cock on close mauser will rip the bolt handle from a six year old's hands when they rotate the bolt to 90 degrees. Staring at the four shiny brass cartridges in the magazine gave me the strength to close the bolt on an empty chamber and to return the rifle to it's rightful spot. Dad never found out until I ratted myself out 40 years later. When I was a kid, the deer herd in Kansas was small enough that tags were by draw only. Every year, Dad would scrape together $10 and send in his application. Every year, wildlife and parks sent his application and $10 back. By the time I finished college, the deer herd increased to the point where tags were over the counter. Dad got a tag and went hunting up on the meadow of the family farm. Right at the end of shooting time, a nice doe came out of the hedgerow and Dad lifted the rifle. Unfortunately, he couldn't see the sights and let her walk on by. The next year, we bought him a scoped Remington 788 in .308, but I don't recall him deer hunting again. Dad passed away a few years ago. When we scattered his ashes on the farm, Mom let each of us kids and the grandchildren choose one of his firearms. I chose the Mauser. With the help of the folks here, I came up with a good cast boolit load and a good jacketed hunting load. I loaned it to my niece for the last two seasons hoping she would get her first deer with it, but it didn't work out. She moved to Scott City this fall and the drive back to the farm was too much for her to hunt, so I decided I would use it. This weekend is the close of the Kansas rifle season and family commitments kept me from hunting until Saturday which would have been Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary. Evidently, dad thought he had better places to be than in a deer blind because I didn't see a blessed deer all day long. This morning as Mom was handing me my thermos of coffee, she asked if I would be back in time for church. I said I didn't think so. Mom furrowed up her brow and told me good luck. I didn't see anything this morning until I was pushing a draw on my nephew's place. About the time Mom would have been getting out of church, this buck got out of the draw and stopped about 50 yards away in the corn stubble. I guess Dad figured he could go hunting after church. Anyway, not much of a trophy, but then Dad always said you couldn't eat the antlers anyway.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Great story. I have two in unissued condition, and 3 sporters, plus one I purchased as an action and barreled up to 7x57mm. The original 7.65x53mm chambering is pretty close to a .308 Win., and a great hunting cartridge in its own right.

As for your deer--looks just fine to me. Bet it will taste good this winter. Thanks for sharing your story and photo.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Coming this winter.
    I hope to have it done around Christmas.

Thought I might update the status of this particular battle rifle.

Finished today. Still have to find a spring for the front sight, it was missing. Then I have to get it to the range and get the gas system dialed in. I have high hopes. Didn't use the grenade launcher muzzle device. I stuck an old bird cage on for the time being...eventually it will get a can. I am digging the grenade launcher gas plug though. Means I can run it as a straight pull bolt action and not mangle/lose my GOOD brass.

When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Mark,

Lovely story and a lovely rifle, thanks for sharing with us.

NoA,

You still suck.

More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Very nice results--from a pile of parts to a good looking rifle. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Banned
    Very very very nice! GOOD JOB!!!!!

mo angel beautiful rifle, and same to roysha's a few pages back I love the heavy fal's
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Another old battle rifle I thought you might like to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0215.jpg   100_0216.jpg  

Boolit Master

Nice Schneider! That's a lot of lead going down range when you touch one of those off. I've always thought they would be a hoot to shoot with black powder loads.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    My first full power cartridge battle rifle I recently completed...

7.62x51 CETME

It was a challenging build. Much more welding and critical alignment of components than any other rifle I've previously built.

Looks good. Was that from a demil kit or from parts acquired here and there, and where did you get your receiver?

Destrux, nice work. Bending that receiver flat and keeping it aligned is a S.O.B.! Makes folding an AK flat look like folding up a paper airplane. Those have to be pretty darn close or they will bind. Good work buddy.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy
    here's one...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1873trapdoor.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	184809
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1873 Saddle Ring carbine.jpg   1873 Carbine.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks. It was a demil parts kit from Apex. I also bought one of the original armorers kits with a ton of brand new spares, although I didn't need many. I did replace a few worn parts since I had them though. The receiver flat was one from RTG; he sells a CETME specific flat that has the correct magazine well appearance compared to the HK.

Yeah the flats are not easy and this one twisted on me during bending because the locator tab cracked off just before the bend was completed. I ended up using a home made mandrel to true it up. The most difficult part by far though was welding the barrel trunnion in straight and welding the sights on straight. The facbrication for the magazine well and the ATF required receiver modifications to block full auto conversion were also very time consuming.

Banned
    I wish there was someway to have a poll on the thread.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast