Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New model Marlin 1895G 😜

Boolit Bub

New model Marlin 1895G 😜

Just received my 1895G this week. Have rounds loaded up and looking forward to shooting it tomorrow . Ordered it from Buds guns and couldn't be happier about sale and delivery. Rifle is in great shape. I was nervous because of what I've heard about past issues of function, fit & finish. Rounds cycle through it fine just don't know how it shoots yet. I'll update you tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I do have a question though. How can I find out when it was made? It is an MR serial # but haven't found anything online to trace the #.
    Thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    What does the wood look like on the current offerings? Is it walnut, laminate, beech, something else? How'd the grain and finish?

That flat finished laminate they were using on the 870 shotguns and 336 Marlins was downright ugly. Haven't ever seen it on a 1895 yet.

Boolit Buddy

I would say shoot with confidence !
    Remington seems to have solved 95% of its issues with the 1895's.
    Occasionally one will slip by with a poor fitting stock and some have tight actions, but other than that, I would not worry.
    I have 3 of the early Remington made rifles and all are great shooters.
    My first Remington made rifle had a cracked receiver which I took back to the dealer and used the money to get another Remington made 1895 GG.
    No issues at all with the 2nd rifle, and it has become one of my favorite rifles.
    I feel that the hate for 'Remlins' needs to die a quiet death.
    But haters will hate and there is no changing their minds.
    I have a JM stamped 26" Cowboy with a barrel that is rotten for shooting cast boolits. The inside looks like a monkey with a coat hanger rifled it.
    I only shoot jacketed bullets in that rifle now.

CPL Lou
    CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    CPL Lou, the same monkey rifled my 1895 Cowboy. About 100 firelapping loads helped tremendously. Good thing it has that "JM" stamp on it though

Boolit Bub
    Deep Six, mine is supposed to be walnut but it's a flat finish it could be beach for all I know. It's definitely not the gloss walnut finish you see on the older rifles. I think those days are over for all common rifles. The fit of the wood to metal on mine is great in my opinion. I've read a lot of horror stories about mega gaps or "proud wood" to metal fitting. This one seems to be put together well. Haven't shot it yet but I'll post again after I do.

Congrats on the new gun. I purchased my 1895G new in 1998. It came with the factory ported barrel. Love the gun, tried the Ghost Ring sights (not good for me), went to the Fire Sights (very easy to pick up a target), went to a scope (wonderful accuracy), now I'm back to the Fire Sights. A very handy rig in the woods with lots of knock-down power. Easy to hand load for too. Started casting my own bullets four years ago. You'll love it.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Grand Master

Range report?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    I got side tracked yesterday I plan on going tonight. It's only going to be at a 25 yd indoor range. My other spot is about an hour away so I save that for weekend trips. I'll post again after

I got mine at WM, it was on clearance at a price to good to pass up, (That was one of those deals that I don't get very often so I like to mention it). It looks like satin finished Walnut and it shoots real nice (so far only 25 yards) but the open sights are right on. It does have a rough trigger that I'm hoping will smooth out over time.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    CPL Lou, the same monkey rifled my 1895 Cowboy. About 100 firelapping loads helped tremendously. Good thing it has that "JM" stamp on it though
    I know, right ?!
    I fire lapped mine, and even used Bore Coat (micro ceramic technology) and it helped some.
    Not enough to make it cast boolit worthy though.
    Oh well, it shoots jacketed like a lazer with groups in the 1" @ 100 yards, consistently.

CPL Lou
    CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Lou View Post
    I know, right ?!
    I fire lapped mine, and even used Bore Coat (micro ceramic technology) and it helped some.
    Not enough to make it cast boolit worthy though.
    Oh well, it shoots jacketed like a lazer with groups in the 1" @ 100 yards, consistently.

CPL Lou
    I have gotten down around 1" at 50 yards with iron sights. It took way too much fooling to get there, and I am still irritated. Mine does best with a near .462" boolit to fill the gigantic chamber and throat, something you may want to try with yours and boolits. Basically to me, the vaunted "JM" on the barrel means squat

Quote Originally Posted by Leaker11 View Post
    Deep Six, mine is supposed to be walnut but it's a flat finish it could be beach for all I know. It's definitely not the gloss walnut finish you see on the older rifles. I think those days are over for all common rifles. The fit of the wood to metal on mine is great in my opinion. I've read a lot of horror stories about mega gaps or "proud wood" to metal fitting. This one seems to be put together well. Haven't shot it yet but I'll post again after I do.
    The Henrys come with absolutely BEAUTIFUL walnut. But details such as that cost you more. I couldnt be happier with mine. Excellent workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I have gotten down around 1" at 50 yards with iron sights. It took way too much fooling to get there, and I am still irritated. Mine does best with a near .462" boolit to fill the gigantic chamber and throat, something you may want to try with yours and boolits. Basically to me, the vaunted "JM" on the barrel means squat
    2 moa for a hunting rifle is pretty good. Especially with iron sight. You would tighten those groups with a scope. But Its not made to be a varmint rifle. Could it be better? Maybe. But that is more then adequate for deer all the way to its maximum ethical killing range.

Boolit Bub
    Range report. Functions perfect. I only fired 25 rounds so far though. Hand loads from 36.5 grains, 35.5, 34.5, 33.5 & 31.5 with 405 grain lead RNFP coated boolit. I'm glad I downloaded from the 36.5 those pack a little punch for me. Trigger is heavy to me I'll check it later tonight with my gauge when I get home.

Boolit Mold

Call Marlin for the build date

Give Remlin a call and they'll tell you when it was made based on the serial number. I bought a new 1895 SBL this past summer and it had quite a few defects, including a split forearm, buggered forearm tip tenon screw, scratched tenon tip, marred receiver, scratched and poorly machined magazine tube plug, eroded butt pad, and poor internal machining/finishing. Did I mention it was new (2016 manufacture according to Remlin)? Customer support was pretty decent about sending me replacement parts at no cost, but it took a bit of persistence before they got everything correct (they kept sending me blued parts for a stainless gun and just couldn't figure out what a forearm tip tenon was). Remlin had initially asked me to send the rifle back to them for repairs, but I declined because I figured they had already done enough damage. The good news is that it functions and shoots well and the sights were lined up correctly, which I understand a lot of folks have problems with. QC ain't what it used to be unfortunately.

Boolit Bub
    I just slugged my barrel and it looks like it might be .459". I've never done it before so I could be doing something wrong.
    Dubber123 what was yours to be using .462 dia bullets?

I just slugged my barrel and it looks like it might be .459". I've never done it before so I could be doing something wrong.
    What some people do is measure the mouth of a fired case and size a boolit to that size of which very well maybe .462 depending of course on there rifle and chamber. But as you may or may not know each fire arm is a law unto itself.

So please research what Your rifle needs and not some other rifle. And if you are unsure about anything ask and as always people will do there best to help.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    I never slugged mine, I just size that big to give the boolit a straighter start from the overly large chamber. Even .462" loads fall completely to the rim in this rifle.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I spent some quality time with my 1975 1895 today. On the menu was 26 grains IMR SR4759 with 300 grain Laser Cast and 340 grain Lee boolits. The Laser Cast are listed as .458, the Lee I ran through my .459 die and they seemed to be just barely smaller so they are probably .458 also. Off shooting sticks at 65 yards I can keep both types of boolits around 2-3" as long as I do my part correctly--alot easier said than done!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Should be a good rifle. My new 1895 GBL is shooting good. Just got it sighted in with 405gr plain base bullets yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Yep those Marlin 1895's are just horrible in the accuracy department lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast