Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your replacement for SR4759?

Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    2400 is almost as hard to find as 4759. IMR 4227 is close but can't quite get the stability of the above powders.
    Tony
    Many of my .30 cal cast loads are based on 4759 and 2400. Can't find 2400 locally (or Unique). I've got quite a bit of 4227, but I can't get it to shoot as well as 4759, but maybe I just need to experiment more.

Thanks for the thread, btw, very helpful. And i dug out my 40-year-old Lee dipper set!

OS OK posted this on another thread about IMR 4227 powder. Looks like it came out of an issue of Handloader. There's a pet load for 45-70 listed with a 400 gn cast boolit I plan to try out, if I find any 4227 at the shop on Friday. Otherwise I'll grab 5744 or RL7 to play with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tapatalk_1477968510156.jpeg 
Views:	204 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	179933

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Darn it!
    I knew I should have not bought two kegs of 4759! Now I can't use it! it's obsolete
    When I sit down to look at my rifles in the safe.....
    I can very consistently shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.
    When I sit on the bench at the shooting range.....
    I always wish I was sitting down looking at my rifles in the safe.

Boolit Master

I have found 4227 to be somewhat temperature sensitive.

Boolit Master
    I like 4198. About the right burn rate, pretty clean,and bulky. The drawback is it meters poorly but 4759 won't win any awards for metering.

Boolit Master
    4198 is pretty good with cast boolits. If it's too "crunchy" in a powder measure to deliver consistent charges, you might try Reloder 7. In the cast load cartridges I've tried it in, it works like 4198 and goes through a powder measure like a liquid.

In Remembrance

I bought 2- 8 pound jugs of IMR8188 from GIBrass that was promoted as replacement for SR4759. So far, my results indicate is a bit faster burning than SR4759 and may be more position sensitive. At least it is not so "crunchy" when metered from my RCBS or Lyman powder measures. I assumed this would be IMR's replacement for SR4759 since it was still the 'go-to" load for the M79's Grenade cartridge. Anyone else buy into this? I am experimenting with this new powder in various large volume black powder cartridges to see if it will give the same results as good 'ol SR4759.

Boolit Master
    Use 4227 or 5744 in almost the same charge weights.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    I like 4198. About the right burn rate, pretty clean,and bulky. The drawback is it meters poorly but 4759 won't win any awards for metering.
    This is why I bought an RCBS Charge Master 1500.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I'm trying 5744 as a stopgap again. Hope springs eternal, I guess. But I keep looking for more of these:

Attachment 182314

I won't have to worry about it any time soon. Attachment 182448
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Do you think we could get enough people set up in a group buy to convince them to make one last run of 4759? I would buy a few kegs...

Boolit Master

IMHO, there isn't a really good replacement for 4759, but I have found a load of satisfactory duplicate performance. Because of the bulk 4759 allows with fairly low pressures, nothing else out there is a true replacement. I will only tell you my loads are duplex loads and it provides bulk with similar performance. Unfortunately, it works better in large bore, large case capacity rounds best. Because it IS a duplex load, I won't tell you what I do because some people are not wired to load with the anal attention to detail that is required to be safe. What I will tell you is the primary powder is a surplus powder and the kicker charge cannot be a powder that can possibly migrate away from the primer.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

badgerdd, I think you're on the right track. With a slightly compressed charge you don't have any problem with position sensitivity. I originally thought using a kicker charge of a fast powder like Red Dot (fluffy and large flakes that won't migrate) was the way to go. I have since been educated by those with much more experience in duplex charges to use nothing slower than RL-7.

Boolit Grand Master
    4227. I started working up loads. Usually takes 1 to 1.5 grains more for the same velocity.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Finally got out to the range today. Had a chance to try some 400gn boolits over IMR4227. The 26gn loads had a 4" spread at 100 yards, and about the same for 27gn. With 28gn, the spread narrowed to 2". This was with a Marlin 1895, 4x scope. I'll work on some more loads around 28gn of 4227, and try to remember to grab my chronograph next time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I am looking at a keg of CFE Black as a replacement for 4759, Anybody have any experience with it? Especially outside of the 300 Blackout for which it was designed. I am looking at it for a number of uses, particularly for 500 S&W. One of my Sgt's had to get his hand x-rayed after shooting my 500 loaded up with Alliant 300 MP so looking for something with less recoil that will be as accurate as possible. 4227 is pretty good but didn't get the accuracy I was hoping for.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    http://leeprecision.com/powder-measure-kit.html
    The dipper kit is cheap enough, even if you never use them the slider has come in pretty handy for me.
    Or you can get just the slide card for $5.83 shipped http://leeprecision.com/parts/powder...sure-kit-parts

Boolit Master
    Alliant Power Pro 300MP. Use SR4759 starting data and work up. It will take about one grain more to equal velocities. 300MP does not have the bulk that SR4759 has but it will meter very well (it resembles Bullseye). It works well with heavy bullets like the 314299 in .308. With light bullets like the 311672 (163 gr.) I would suggest a crimp and possibly a magnum primer. Without the crimp I got smoked cases, indicating not enough pressure.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Mold
    I don't think you will find a replacement that is real close to the 4759. I had 2 lbs i was using to shoot with my .45 sml. I stopped n have found 2 more lbs of it. I will save n use it for my 45-70. I have a good friend that seems to have the knack of finding it back in my Home state. Says he finds it in some small towns in gun shops n will be dust on the containers. He has found me 3 lbs of it. So with just abit under 7 lbs i think i have enuff to make it for another 20 yrs. Once i work up my load, i will just use n load up enuff to deer hunt with every yr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast