WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough BLO Finish

Rough BLO Finish

I've done a lot of refinishing of stocks using BLO cut with pure gum turpentine and results have always been very, very good when hand rubbed. Recently though I stripped and refinished a piece of walnut off one of my Uberti rifles. For some reason the last hand rubbed coat on the buttstock has a rough texture to it. Is there a way to smooth this without dulling the finish?
    Thanks for the help.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I rub would rub it out with 4/0 steel wool, works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I would try a soft cloth and a heavy rubbing first. If that dosnt help the soft cloth dampened with water and a little rottenstone pumice work lightly and evenly. You might end up giving another couple coats if its the grain rising.

Thanks for the ideas. I thought of 4/0 wool, but was afraid it might make the finish hazy.

I don't think it's grain because I whiskered the stock. I thought of doing another coat, but ughh...takes so long to set in this humidity. Where does a fellow get rottenstone?

Thanks,

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Thanks! So it sounds to me like a man could mix rottenstone with BLO, or thinned BLO, rub the stock down smooth then wipe it off. Correct?

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Thanks! So it sounds to me like a man could mix rottenstone with BLO, or thinned BLO, rub the stock down smooth then wipe it off. Correct?

35W
    Or mineral oil if you're not trying to build another coat.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I thought of 4/0 wool, but was afraid it might make the finish hazy.

I don't think it's grain because I whiskered the stock. I thought of doing another coat, but ughh...takes so long to set in this humidity. Where does a fellow get rottenstone?

Thanks,

35W
    If it isn't curing, wipe it down with white gas and paper towels.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Ive used rottenstone to polish a finish for the final luster and o smooth it out. Im not sure how it would do mixing it in BLO would work as its a grey color and might discolor stock mixed in the actual finish. I have used water as a carrier ( allows it to cut a little more aggressive) oils ( finest finish and slowest cutting) mineral spirits, ( about the medium cut). Its more like a rubbing compound for wood than a finish. I have a pint cardboard container here thats been used out of for years and still over 3/4 full. A little goes a long ways. Occasionally Ill set and rub out my cane in the evening to clean it up. My Maple range box is finished with BLO and the last 4 coats were rubbed out with rottenstone on a polishing pad between coats. It has a nice sheen and a satian feel now. WHen its in the house now every few months I work a thin coat of oil into it let it cure and rub it back out.It just keeps getting better and better.

Do mix anything with BLO, just rub the oil in the stock until it will not take anymore. You'll know when to stop when the oil doesn't dry after a few weeks, that's the time to use the steel wool. A hard finish lies under the tacky oil, it's just too easy isn't it.

Boolit Master
    As long as you're using linseed oil, at least be sure to wax it afterwards for at least a modicum of protection. Steel wool on a gun stock? I thought everybody by now was aware of the risk of leaving microscopic fibers embedded in the wood, leading to possible brown freckles from rust when it gets wet. Most discerning stock finishers I know now use bronze wool instead. Some souls use white 3M scotchbrite pads too. Rottenstone is still viable too.

The government and big gun companies used linseed oil (and tung oil interchangeably) on gun stocks not because it was pretty or particularly protective against water fenestration, but rather because it was/is the cheapest finish possible.

Boolit Master

i hate steel wool, dont belong anywhere near a gun. that said, the fact your stock got a rough feeling after applying the finish tells me you didnt whisker it good enough.

I think wood whiskers are highly unlikely as the problem. First of all, it was a refinish job so the stock had been whiskered once already. Second I wet, heated and sanded the stock repeatedly.

35W

NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use steel wool on stocks all the time, and never have a problem. However, I don't think I would try it on BLO, as it's properties will never completely dry. Using a harder type finish, if it is allowed to cure properly before doing a rub out, embedded particles are not a problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    i hate steel wool, dont belong anywhere near a gun. that said, the fact your stock got a rough feeling after applying the finish tells me you didnt whisker it good enough.
    4 ought steel wool is the best stock smoother, rust remover, and bore cleaner on the gun bench. Let's agree to disagree. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Not sure where your finishing bench is in relation to everything else, but is dust perhaps the issue? Sounds so simple, but maybe someone opened a window or the garage door.

35Whelen- I've always used Tru-Oil and feel tiny bumps on a dried coat. I steel wool them smooth in one direction with the grain. Then wipe clean & hand rub another coat until it "pulls" against my hand. After the final coat dries I lightly steel wool again, wipe with cotton cloth, then apply Wax. I hope this helps. Best, Thomas.

Banned

I hate BLO! It is not water proof at all, used in paints so wood can breath. True oil is a modified linseed oil and does protect. It dries.
    Best way for true oil is to spray a coat on, thin with paint thinner, let it set to tacky and spray again, up to 5 coats. This way each coat will blend into the previous to make one thick coat. Let dry weeks until you can't smell it and you can rub to any finish you want without breaking layers. I would prop the stock in the truck cab in the sun, you won't hurt it.
    Nothing worse then a rub through to the next layer.
    Hardest thing is filling the grain and steel wool is best. I have cheated and used a filler but find it is no better then true oil.
    Best thing is turning a stock in the light and seeing all the grain changes that you will not get with BLO.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    4 ought steel wool is the best stock smoother, rust remover, and bore cleaner on the gun bench. Let's agree to disagree. Best, Thomas.

I agree fully!

When Remington reproduced their 1816 flintlock rifle several years back they used 15 coats of TruOil hand rubbed. I handled one at a gun show and the wood figure danced in the light( just like 44 man said). I can't imagine a prettier finish. Best, Thomas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast