Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Original Low Wall Pressure Concerns.

Boolit Buddy

Original Low Wall Pressure Concerns.

I am currently considering the purchase of Winchester Low Wall original that has been rebarreled in 357 magnum. My concern is if that original action will take the pressures of a .357 magnum? Next question is if that action would accept the pressure of a .357 Maximim? I am not able to handle the rifle but from photos the workmanship seems to be very good.
    Thanks,
    Chill45100

Boolit Master

The Low-Wall can stand a great deal more pressure than some folks assume but the 40,000 PSI (I have also seen it listed as 48,000 CUP????) is probably a bit much for that action. I predict you will get conflicting opinions about this but the fact is the Low-Wall was never intended for high pressure rounds and was designed as a lighter action meant for rounds well below the levels of the 357 Max! I have researched the 1885 action thoroughly since I build these actions from scratch as a hobby and strength/high pressure rounds were of great concern for some of the chamberings I have considered, IMHO that largely unsupported breech block is not up to that kind of abuse even if the rest of the action is, ESPECIALLY if the rifle is an original and not built of modern alloy steel!

Just remember, no matter how much someone may insist to you that action is strong enough it's not their face that will have to bear the brunt of a failing breech block!
    Last edited by oldred; 10-28-2016 at 10:26 PM.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    Oldred,
    Thank you for your input. It pretty well lines up with what I'd found on line. Had used SAAMI pressure for the 32-20 which is the most powerful round I could recall as an original chambering. I appreciate hearing from with more experience than I.
    Chill45100

Boolit Master

I think I may have gotten a bit overly dramatic about the possibility of catastrophic failure but while it's not likely that a total failure of the action could occur it certainly can't be ruled out either. I think it very likely however that serious headspacing issues would develop rather quickly which can also be dangerous. On the HighWall the block is supported full length with backward thrust being absorbed by the action frame while with the Low-Wall that breechblock is being subjected to a bending force since the thrust line is near the top and well above the highest supported point. While the Low-Wall is perfectly adequate for what it was designed for it is a poor design indeed from a strength standpoint, but to it's credit it was never meant for high performance cartridges.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Had one years ago in .38 Special and wasn't all that excited about that caliber. Not that it was loose or shot poorly, but just wasn't comfortable with the thought of maybe a +P load ever being fired a lot in it. Not sure it would simply blow up, but probably not a good steady diet for a 100 yr. old action.
    I personally think your old Low wall deserves to be chambered in something more appropriate. After all it's survived this long; why not keep it around another 100 years?

Boolit Buddy
    I elected to pass on purchasing the rebarreled low wall and just use the rifles already in the safe.
    thanks,
    Chill45100