RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Hornady Dies don't fit Lee Turret

Boolit Master

Hornady Dies don't fit Lee Turret

I was frustrated when I tried setting up a Lee 4 hole turret with some Hornady dies. The locking rings are just large enough to bind against each other.

I think that I can swap out the Hornady locking rings for some Lee rings... is this the usual fix, or is there some 'magic' trick that I may not have thought of?

Thanks,

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I was frustrated when I tried setting up a Lee 4 hole turret with some Hornady dies. The locking rings are just large enough to bind against each other.

I think that I can swap out the Hornady locking rings for some Lee rings... is this the usual fix, or is there some 'magic' trick that I may not have thought of?

Thanks,

Randy
    That's the easiest solution. Just get Lee locking nuts. Cheap enough as well.

I just swap out the locking rings. I use RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, and Lee, just mix and match. I remove the rubber rings from the Lee rings, turn them upside down and use them. Works like I want them to.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    Why do you remove the rubber rings?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Dillon lock rings are very small. They will give you room on the turret and you will still be able to wrench them if need be. I had the same trouble with Hornady dies on the Lee Turret press.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Master
    Well I guess this thread was miss named. You can use anybody's ⅞ dies but only certain manufactures lock rings.

take care

r1kk1

Why do you remove the rubber rings?
    I do because metal on metal contact between the nut and turret is a more secure adjustment and there is no friction from the o-ring trying to turn the die as am locking it in place.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post

Thanks,

Randy
    File a little bit off the corners? Just enough so they will rotate and not hit the adjacent one?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I do because metal on metal contact between the nut and turret is a more secure adjustment and there is no friction from the o-ring trying to turn the die as am locking it in place.
    As as experiment, try setting up a die with the Lee nut and o-ring installed right and then just hand tightening or removing the die by grasping the nut and using hand pressure only. Been using this method many years and it works quite well. I despise die lock nuts with a set screw. The Lee o-ring nut is one of their best ideas

There are times when an ultra snug lock down is beneficial. Usually though JohnH is correct that hand pressure is enough. It is all too often a placebo for on over zealous impulse to be as exact as possible.
    regards,

Boolit Grand Master

Another quick easy fix that may work is set the dies and put everyother lock ring on the bottom of the turret to lock the die. I have done this with my dillon tool heads at times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Another quick easy fix that may work is set the dies and put everyother lock ring on the bottom of the turret to lock the die. I have done this with my dillon tool heads at times.
    That's the kind of clever I appreciate! I don't have this problem with my Lyman, but I'll keep it in mind if I decide to set up my Hornady .300 Whisper dies on a turret instead of a single stage.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I despise die lock nuts with a set screw.
    I have two turrets set up for my LoadMaster (.38 and .44), however when I swap I have to remove the die that holds down the boolit feeder so that I can fit the feeder to the new turret. I found that by using a Hornady lock ring (with setscrew) on the die I can put it back in exactly the same place, with no need to re-adjust every time.

Boolit Master
    For a bottle neck rifle round when you are trying to maintain a very exact shoulder location the Lee lock rings are just about worthless.
    They are the worst lock rings in the industry if you want to maintain a .001 shoulder bump every time you install the dies.
    I know some Lee lovers will not want to believe that but many Lee users operate in a little world of their own oblivious to what the rest of the non-Lee reloading public does.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    As as experiment, try setting up a die with the Lee nut and o-ring installed right and then just hand tightening or removing the die by grasping the nut and using hand pressure only. Been using this method many years and it works quite well. I despise die lock nuts with a set screw. The Lee o-ring nut is one of their best ideas
    EDG

The dies fit fine, it's the die ring that causes an interference. Use the vastly superior Lee die rings and you will smile every time you use the system.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    That's the kind of clever I appreciate! I don't have this problem with my Lyman, but I'll keep it in mind if I decide to set up my Hornady .300 Whisper dies on a turret instead of a single stage.
    300 Whisper dies should be a two die set. Place the sizing die, then the powder dump (lee with a smaller nut?), then the sizing die. Then a Lee crimp if you are using one. You don't have to put both Hornady dies next to each other on the toolhead.

Boolit Master

rcbs rings fit on my lee 4 hole turret.. but you can't use the lock ring wrench rcbs provides.

Boolit Master

This is the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    300 Whisper dies should be a two die set. Place the sizing die, then the powder dump (lee with a smaller nut?), then the sizing die. Then a Lee crimp if you are using one. You don't have to put both Hornady dies next to each other on the toolhead.
    See I hadn't considered going odd-even with them, I keep my .357 dies set up in order of operation.

Boolit Master
    Duh! I had not thought of that. Good thinking...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!