RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 45-70 in a 310 tool?

Boolit Bub

45-70 in a 310 tool?

I have just gotten a trapdoor springfield in 45-70. Can I load those cartridges with a 310 tool? I am wondering if the length makes them awkward to accommodate in a tong tool.

Boolit Master
    The 45-70 is short compared to some of the cartridges loaded with 310 tool. For years my BIL loaded the 264Winchester Mag with the 310. I have 310 dies for the 45-90.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Why not? Once upon a time, the 310 was 'state of the art' for rural and back-country shooters without a readily available (and/or affordable) source for ammunition. A .45-70 case is only .060 (or so) longer than .the .30-30 and Lord only knows how many 'thutty-thuttys" have been reloaded on a 310.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I use a 310 to load all of my rifle cartridges except the 50-70. I load the following, 22 WCF, 22 Hornet, 6.5x55, 30 US, 30 Gov't, 405 WCF, and45-70.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got an old iron set of handles marked 45-70, so obviously Ideal/Lyman expected them to be used for loading this caliber. I've also loaded quite a few rounds of 45-70 on my TruLine Jr press with the same dies. Of course FL sizing is beyond the capabilities of this system, but for loading more ammo to shoot over and over in the same rifle (such as your Trapdoor) you should do fine with the 310 tool. If you need to FL size your cases when you first get them, you can either use a big press w/ 7/8x14 dies or one of the whack-a-mole style sizers that Lyman used to provide.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    I loaded all my 45-70 rounds on a 310 tool for a couple years for an 1886 Winchester, it works fine. They only neck size, which you probably know, and you may not even need to size to load for the trapdoor, so its fine either way I believe. If the shells fit in the chamber, youre good. If not, sizing them on bench press dies then using your 310 for loading will be entirely workable.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.