MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Value of a savage 99 in 308

Boolit Master

Value of a savage 99 in 308

As the title says I'm looking at a model 99 in 308. Has a receiver sight I'm not sure of the make. Has bluing wear around muzzle and magazine area. The stock also shows signs of wear and typical handling marks.

I haven't handled the rifle I'm just going by the pics sent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

As always value depends upon condition and rarity...
    on this Savage 99 in 308 Winchester...
    Is the Safety on the bottom by the lever or top of the tang?
    What symbol on the Lever Boss? you know the letter in the circle where the lever attaches.
    Any serial number or model information?
    A few notes to those who might consider the purchase of an older 99. All older models have matching numbers on the fore end, butt plate, butt stock and bottom of the receiver. The model is stamped in front of the receiver just behind the fore end. For example EG, R, or other variations.
    Is it a clip or rotary magazine?
    If rotary is it steel or bronze rotor?

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...l-99-do-I-have

Dates of Mfg.
    http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...age_Collectors

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/savage-...f-manufacture/

Here is a complete list of the Lever Boss Codes and their corresponding year of manufacture:
    A= 1949
    B= 1950
    C= 1951
    D= 1952 *The 308 Win. was introduced in 1952.
    E= 1953
    F= 1954
    G= 1955
    H= 1956
    I= 1957
    J= 1958
    K= 1959
    L= 1960
    M= 1961
    N= 1962
    O= SKIPPED
    P=1963
    Q= SKIPPED
    R= 1964
    S= 1965
    T= 1966
    U= 1967
    V= 1968
    W= 1969
    X= 1970

1) In 1960, Savage Arms Corp. factory moved frpm Chicopee Falls, MA to Westfield MA.
    New models of the 99 were added: 99E economy carbine, and 99DL deluxe rifle (99DL with new improved trigger sear, and sliding thumb safety on top tang).
    2) In 1963, Savage Arms Corp. becomes a division of the Emhart Corp., involved in hardware, glass making machinery, packaging machinery, and refrigeration equipment.
    3) In 1965, new models 99 added. 99C - the first major change to the original 1899 design; added a detachable box magazine with a push-release button on receiver right-hand side.
    99DE and 99PE - deluxe engraved presentation models.
    Impressed checkering added to all models at this time (except PE).

Generally speaking the post 1 million numbers are considered an indication of a down-turn in quality, but you say you have a rotary magazine (which are considered to be a BIG plus over the clip model), and cut checkering as well. You have a .308 caliber which Savage offered in twelve models: 99R, RS, EG, F, DL, E, C, DE, PE, 95, A, CD.....later only in the 99-C.
    Hint....you might find a model stamped on the barrel, under the forearm wood.
    One last thing: The address on the STYLE 9 made from 1946- 1960 were 438,000 - 1,094,000 "SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A."
    STYLE 10
    1,094,000 - 1960 " SAVAGE ARMS
    WESTFIELD MASS. U.S.A."

A 308 pre million serial number could be an EG, R, F, or a T.
    Makes quite a difference in price.
    A post mil 99 in 308 could be an E, F, A, CD, etc.
    The Winchester calibers are a bit more desireable than the Savage calibers, given all other things equal.
    Added sling swivel studs, stock compasses, and other bubba add ons will decrease value. Receiver sight might be the exception to that rule.
    The stocks on 99s seem to want to crack right behind the tang.
    Examine that area carefully!
    Short of that, there are no other inherent problems with 99s, except that the very first 308 and 243 chambered guns didn't feed well. About serial # 900,000, Savage addressed this problem with a lengthened receiver.

Value is also a regional thing - Here in the west, they are getting to be worth a premium. Just about any 99 in any caliber would start around $500 unless beat to death and those start $350 at least.
    I'm told back east they sell for less.
    Last edited by Artful; 10-27-2016 at 06:58 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Post pictures so we know what you have. Price is going to vary greatly depending on a bunch of things.

Boolit Master

Nice write up Artful. Good info that.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    That was a great write up. I contacted the seller and he says the letter near the lever is hard to see but appears to be a K. The serial number is in the high 900k though so I don't know if that's the correct letter or not.

Boolit Master

Model 99s

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    That was a great write up. I contacted the seller and he says the letter near the lever is hard to see but appears to be a K. The serial number is in the high 900k though so I don't know if that's the correct letter or not.

Just about the same age as this 1959 Model 99 in 308 that came home from a US Rod and Gun Club in Germany.

Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Just about the same age as this 1959 Model 99 in 308 that came home from a US Rod and Gun Club in Germany.

That looks a lot like the one I am looking at. Although the one in your picture appears to be better cared for

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    As the title says I'm looking at a model 99 in 308. Has a receiver sight I'm not sure of the make. Has bluing wear around muzzle and magazine area. The stock also shows signs of wear and typical handling marks.

I haven't handled the rifle I'm just going by the pics sent.

The value of a rifle is what YOU are willing to pay for it, follow your instincts on this one. It looks like it will be fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinaBlanco View Post
    The value of a rifle is what YOU are willing to pay for it, follow your instincts on this one. It looks like it will be fun!
    I passed on it. Like you said it's what I'm willing to pay and I just didn't want to spend what he wanted for the condition it was in.

In the shops, around here the price depends on condition, more than anything else. In good condition, figure $650-$750, no matter the rarity.
    Poor condition, $300-$400. I saw a 30-30 Sav. 99 in bad condition, no bluing, pitted and an incorrect replacement stock with the lever bent to match--shop wanted $300.

But .308s sell the fastest, probably because it's a good deer caliber and widely available. The .300 Sav. is (wrongly) seen as obsolete, so they hang around a long time (I love my .300 Sav. 99, BTW.)

Boolit Bub
    I saw a few at a gun show up here in AK a few years ago, the guy was selling them for a widow. They were in fair to poor condition and he was asking $400-$450 if I recall. And he wouldn't budge on the price.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by macomber View Post
    I saw a few at a gun show up here in AK a few years ago, the guy was selling them for a widow. They were in fair to poor condition and he was asking $400-$450 if I recall. And he wouldn't budge on the price.
    That's normal for fair condition. They aren't making them anymore and prices will continue to rise. I actually need to buy one in 308. The last one I bought is now a 358. I won't make the "mistake" of buying an "E" model again

Boolit Grand Master

Why did you think the "E" model was a mistake?

Boolit Grand Master

Because it's the perfect platform to modify. Lever safety, cheap stock, no counter and a steel rotor. They have little collector value so I didn't feel bad sending it off to be rebored, a NOS stock fitted to it, having it reblued and having Turnbull color case harden the lever. Had it been any other model I would not have done this. It cost me a good bit of money but I have exactly what I want now. I won't make the "same mistake" again. Although one in 338 Federal piques my interest

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Because it's the perfect platform to modify. Lever safety, cheap stock, no counter and a steel rotor. They have little collector value so I didn't feel bad sending it off to be rebored, a NOS stock fitted to it, having it reblued and having Turnbull color case harden the lever. Had it been any other model I would not have done this. It cost me a good bit of money but I have exactly what I want now. I won't make the "same mistake" again. Although one in 338 Federal piques my interest
    Thanks for the reply. Basically that is the same that I did with my "E", but I left it 308. The plan was to go 358 but this one shoots too well. My only real mistake was I shot it first.

Boolit Master
    I would also warn about the 'E' models, though they are good for tinkering, ugly yaller stocks, lacking the cartridge counter. I have 3 or 4 (5,6?) 99E's. The interior barrel finish is not as smooth as several 99Featherweights. I use a #900xyz quite a bit. It is very reliable for consistently putting the first cold barrel shot into my group. 40 shots over 7 weeks resulted in a 3" group at 225 yards. The 99s in .243 seems to have barrels with much better interior finish. I have 'accumulated' many 99's BUT I do not spend a great deal of time researching or in 'collecting' activities. Here in Wyoming, 99's seldom appear in the gunshops and then prices are very high - $500 plus for beaters. The #range under about 1100000 SEEM to be a little better finished. The serial numbers beginning with Alphabet characters and placed on the left receiver flat, not underneath in front of the lever SEEM to be less well finished.