Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any difference in taste... Bull Elk vs. Cow Elk

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Why yes, the cows are quite refined, and always use a napkin or handkerchief when sneezing. The bulls on the other hand are crude, and are known to fart in public.
    Now that is funny! Thanks for that.

Boolit Master

BrentD
    Is that fresh killed Moose and Moose fat

Ammohead

Thanx for providing a really good laugh
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

you'll know if you get grass, willow, leaves, whatever feed they can get off the mountain, beef.
    it has a distinctive flavor much different than beef off the feed lots.
    it's hard to explain the flavor but it isn't really gamey or really beef, almost like mild venison.
    it's a bit leaner too.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you can get any better eating than a young cow. I trim fat on cows, bulls have generally been rutting so hard they have no fat.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    It depends a lot on age. My buddy dropped a huge herd cow years back. She was close to 1000 lbs hanging weight. Her meat had huge chunks of gristle in it and was tough as leather. Burger tasted bad too. We sectioned a tooth and estimated her to be about 18years old.
    I shot a huge 6 point in Canada. He tasted fine but everything below a sirloin was tough as heck. Took all the roasts and steaks and partially thawed them, ground them to burger with 5% beef fat and refroze. Was great burger. He was about 8years old.
    Now that I have the trophy stuff out of my brain, I like cows and young bulls.
    I prefer Elk over Venison, have learned with venison to bone out, trim fat, hang for only a day to minimize loss to dehydration of meat.
    The other thing is they are what they eat. Big difference with a bambi that lives in sagebrush versus a corn or wheat field deer.
    As mentioned earlier, especially with Elk, is proper field dressing and get the hide off and get the carcass cooled down as soon as you can. Holds true for Moose also. they can sour up in a hurry in the right conditions.
    Hope that helps.

Boolit Master
    Preparation my friend is the key to coaxing the incredible savory taste that elk can offer. Steaks cut thick seasoned properly and medium to medium rare is the key. No matter if it's venison and or Elk I like my steaks and chops no thinner than 1".

A rather her decent marinade if you do not want to use your own is Grill Mates Southwest when I use a marinade that's the one I go for.

Nothing on on this earth is as good as a nice thick elk steak cooked over maple lump charcoal in my Big Green Egg NOTHING....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Preparation my friend is the key to coaxing the incredible savory taste that elk can offer. Steaks cut thick seasoned properly and medium to medium rare is the key. No matter if it's venison and or Elk I like my steaks and chops no thinner than 1".

A rather her decent marinade if you do not want to use your own is Grill Mates Southwest when I use a marinade that's the one I go for.

Nothing on on this earth is as good as a nice thick elk steak cooked over maple lump charcoal in my Big Green Egg NOTHING....
    YES, never overcook. Carol complains if not cooked through but she cooks her eggs to hockey pucks too. Don't stick them in front of me! She would never eat a soft boiled either.
    But she is coming around and eats deer with pink and maybe some blood left. The times I had to put meat back on the grill for her sure gets old.
    Ya know, it is why men do the grill! But it is always "Shut yo mouf woman."

My wife and I once had dinner with two friends who served an elk pot roast. It was the best pot roast I have ever eaten.

Moderator Emeritus

Fellows, my wife's the chemist in the family. Made an A+ in organic back in college. She told me that milk is one of nature's best and most effective solvents, particularly for any enzymes and other naturally occuring chemicals in meats. She very early on, when she thought "all wild game tastes gamey," soaked our venison overnight or at least for an hour or two before cooking, and indeed, the venison, if it had ANY "gamey" taste in it at all, came out as delectible as any meat I've ever put in my mouth. And it doesn't matter if it's deer or whatever other game you have. Soak it in milk, put it in a hot pan with a little oil - no spices or any other stuff - and sear it on one side. Don't turn it over until it's gone gray up to the center approximately, then turn and do the same on the other side, and when done, take it off. Pour off the fluids as they cook out of the pre-soaked meat as it's cooking. Any gamey or "off" tastes will go out virtually completely with the fluids (mostly milk) that cooks out. When it's done, add more oil and onions, mushrooms or whatever looks like it might be tasty in the fridge, and season to taste. When that's done, and the onions nicely browned, put the cooked and still warm meat back in and toss it around with some sour cream, or worstershire and soy sauce, and .... you'll "slap yer mamma" it's SO good!

But the milk trick to get rid of gamey tastes, if present, is the best way I know of to deal with any gaminess. Vinegar adds bitterness in my experience, and soaking in salt water makes it too salty for me, and toughens it up as well. Milk's the real deal, but remember to pour off the fluids as they cook out. With them will go all the gamey flavor. If it's pretty gamey, let it soak overnight in the fridge for cooking the next day. You'll be pleased, I'm sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Buttermilk works best.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Used butter milk often for chicken not yet for red meat. I never really had the need like I said I cut it thick and cook it like 44 man says get the pink !

Boolit Master
    Wild game is lean, if you cook it well done you've killed the flavor, killed the tenderness & killed moisture because it gets dry in a real hurry.
    As I stated above you have to cool them quick, they are big animals but If I can I like to leave the hide on, sometimes you can't do it. But if I can I do because I only like to skin them once! If the weather is warm they can easily sour, usually between the front shoulders where the hide is thick. Let them age 6-8 days, skin them & cut those steaks thick, marinate with your favorite.....everyone has a favorite & grill rare to medium rare. You'll have to trim the fat, elk fat usually isn't very good. Doing a reverse sear isn't a bad idea either if you know how to do it right but it has to stay rare to medium. My favorite, a 2-3 year old cow that's been raiding the hay fields!

Dick

IMO Elk is better than venison. Usually the cow to bull difference is tenderness more than taste. Any deer or elk cooked past med rare is less than optimal. Same for duck breast. Now let's go eat! Best, Thomas.

Banned

Milk works and I soak liver in it over night. I love buttermilk but can't find the real stuff with the golden butter flakes. I swear they pour vinegar into 2% junk.
    Real buttermilk is a wonder for pancakes or whatever. Today it is fake.
    I remember the old milk with cream on top that I sucked up first. Mom wanted it mixed---TOO bad!
    Dad drove for a lot of ice cream companies and brought home a big can of pure cream. Whipped and some I made into butter. Life was good until I spilled some on the floor. Is that stuff hard to clean up.
    Sealtest ice cream sucked and Harwill's the best at the time. So much ice cream today is sad. Isaly's had good and good sliders cheap to eat a bunch. I think they made the first chocolate covered bars, still found today. What are they? Klondike or something.
    Then the hot dog inn where a dog was smothered in home made chilly for 25 cents. Buy a huge bag for $5 to feed everyone.
    But deer family has no fat good at all. Meat gets tough fast. Most fat is like candle wax. Has to be HOT.
    Best for deer steak is to cover with a rub. Toss into a smoking cast iron skillet with some oil, Blacken 4 minutes a side and leave it pink in the middle.
    Grill a back strap on high heat but never done gray inside. Need juice.

Banned

I have gotten bad about burger lately, some with no flavor at all. I don't let carol buy low fat junk. Some fast food places are still OK but some suck. Cardboard. Sausage the same, hate the maple stuff. Bacon is life. Carol gripes about fat bacon but it is pig belly. I don't want dry bacon either or cooked to a chip. I want eggs fried in bacon fat or real butter. Deep fry in lard.
    I grind deer but add beef fat or pig fat. She makes a lot of stuff with burger but I give most to my dog. I have lost my taste for most. It is hard to taste real meat.

Boolit Master

AMMOHEAD

I am so glad I did not have a mouth full of any liquid when I read that!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Haven't had to eat beef since 1980. Elk, antelope, deer and 1 moose have been most of what we eat. A willow fed bull moose may have had the best flavor. Cow elk tends to have a milder flavor than the bigger bulls. Older animals are tougher, but that is true for beef also. Beef seems flavorless compared to the game meats. My wife prefers doe antelope over most of the rest. Careful processing after cleanly killing are very important.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    BrentD
    Is that fresh killed Moose and Moose fat

Ammohead

Thanx for providing a really good laugh
    Yup. It's the best kind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12