Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a turret press.

Thinking about a turret press.

I have been loading pistol and a few rifle rounds with a Rockcrusher up to this point. I'm not a high volume shooter, but do shoot around 300-400 rounds a month. I like the single stage,but have been thinking about a faster method.
    Will there be any noticeable gain in speed by going to a turret press?
    What presses are recommended?

I enjoy my time reloading and not really in a hurry,but wouldn't mind being more efficient.

Thanks for the help!

I like a turret press and have owned two, but since Hornady offers the lock and load conversion for the rock chucker press I see no real need for a turret press. I actually sold both of my turret presses. The quick change ability and the fact you can leave the dies set up mirrors the advantages of a turret. If your single stage is a rock chucker you might look into the conversion.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

The Lee Classic turret isn't that expensive and will let you load much quicker than using a single stage. It's the next logical step without the potential problems a progressive can cause.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Lee. Good stuff and you can get more disks for around $10. The thing will auto index if you want it to so it turns to the next die on the down stroke. Its like having a progressive press and works very well. Get the primer upgrade and you are off and running. PS get the Classic cast iron turret that Lee makes.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Classic Turret. But I'm a bit biased

Boolit Buddy

I had the Lee classic turret for a few months but quickly upgraded to a lnl progressive as I shoot 1000+ rounds per month. The Lee is a very good press. If you switch back and forth between different cartridges I suggest getting a few powder measures for it. Also there is a "ratchet" its a little black piece that makes the auto indexing work. If you go fast and short stroke it will wear out quickly. Order a couple just to have on hand so your press isn't without auto index over a $0.50 part. Just my 2 cents....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

A Lee Classic Turret will do you a good job without breaking the bank. Quick switch over between calibers. I only use mine for pistol, and my old Pacific single stage for rifle. I prime off the press so I don't mess with the primer setup. Don't buy the kit because it has lots of useless stuff included, and since you are already reloading you don't need it.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    The Lee Classic turret isn't that expensive and will let you load much quicker than using a single stage. It's the next logical step without the potential problems a progressive can cause.
    +1 for the lee classic cast turret. You can also grab the auto eject kit for this from inline fabrication and only have to handle the brass once.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I use a Redding T7 turret for black powder rifle cartridges and don't know why I waited so many years to get one. A turret will definitely speed your reloading. The T7, Lyman and RCBS are all good machines. I would avoid the Lee unless you like a project machine requiring frequent repair and tinkering to make run/keep running.

If you aare shooting 4-500 rounds a month, seriously consider a quality progressive. You might find you will shoot more than the 4 or 500 rounds a month when it only takes an hour or two to produce the ammo.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I have been using the Lee Classic Cast turret for a couple of years now with outstanding results. I get a minimum of 150% production over a single stage press. I use the Safety Prime on the press and it works well for me. I can load between 150 to 200 9mm or 38 special cartridges per hour.
    This setup also works well for 223 rifle loads for me.
    It greatly reduced the time I need to spend reloading while maintaining the accuracy and reliability of my ammunition.
    I shoot roughly 200 rounds per week. This press setup keeps up with my needs with no problems.

I'm A Honcho!
    I second what tazman just said.
    The lee works great all the way thru!
    I just changed my first ratchet for the turret advance after 3000 rounds!
    It is a cheap part keep a few on hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post
    I second what tazman just said.
    The lee works great all the way thru!
    I just changed my first ratchet for the turret advance after 3000 rounds!
    It is a cheap part keep a few on hand.
    Good post because it has facts. Replacing a part after 3000 rounds is not a big deal if you do not load a lot. It is a bigger deal if you shoot a lot, and you do not have spares --- especially if it happens on a Friday before the match.

For most people the Lee and a few spare parts will get the job done. BTW, I am not a Lee lover and have none of their presses....but they have a place. Not everyone needs a $500+ machine.

Don Verna

I have a Redding T-7 with 3 turrets for rifle case prep for my 2 Dillon 550's, loads of flexibility for rifles and 7 pistol calibers. I have owned Lyman and Lee, I own Redding and Dillon.

Boolit Buddy
    I've recently upgraded to a Redding T7. It's definitely faster and of the highest quality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    I've recently upgraded to a Redding T7. It's definitely faster and of the highest quality.
    This is what I want so I can load my precision .308 and .243. It's a good middle ground between my Crusher and the 550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you are not getting an auto advance turret, why bother. I have had a Lyman Orange Crush before and it was about as fast as my Rockchucker. I now use the LEE classic 4 hole turret and could not be happier.

In 1985 we purchased our first reloading press, a Lee Classic Three Hole Turret Press and loaded several thousand rounds with it. Then we upgraded to a Lee Progressive 1000 and loaned the turret press to my brother who in turn reloaded hundreds of rounds with it. We gave away the Lee Progressive and got a Dillon 450 to satisfy our ammo consumption. When our shooting tapered down, we sold the Dillon in '08 and retrieved our faithful Lee Turret and have been pumping out rounds with it ever since. We reload what we shoot... 32 acp, 380's, 9mm, 38's, .357 mag, 45 acp/auto rim and a ****-load of .223. We've had quite a few shooting buddies enjoy their Lee Turret presses upon our recommendation. Having said that, if we were again shooting 500+ a week we would get another Dillon.
    There are so many calibers and bullet designs because there are so many different targets... the target is everything.

Boolit Master

Redding T7
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

If not going to auto advance or prime on the press then I see no advantage to a turret press other than not having to reset dies..

When I decided to restart hand loading this year I looked long and hard at many different presses, single stage, turrets, progressives and as I was only loading pistols I started watching for used turrets. However during that time I found a used Lee Pro 1000 complete for less then a what I was seeing the turrets selling for so I bought it.

I only load about 300-400 rounds every few months and am happy with what I've got and the ammo it's making. Also I would have been just as content with a turret with the amounts that I do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good post because it has facts. Replacing a part after 3000 rounds is not a big deal if you do not load a lot. It is a bigger deal if you shoot a lot, and you do not have spares --- especially if it happens on a Friday before the match.
    The part should not have failed in 3k rounds. The ratchet is worn when you short stroke the press. If you don't do this the ratchet doesn't wear to the point that the turret doesn't index properly. I know this because I killed a ratchet in short order. Since it's replacement, and proper use of the press, I've loaded at least 10k rounds. I'd have to check the load book to get the exact figure.

Long story short, don't short stroke the press and the ratchet lasts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast