Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersPBcastco
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Barrel nut on SR Mauser

Thumbs up

That looks great. Map this needs it's own thread don't you think?
    I'll sure be following it!
    "219 Zipper SR Mauser as built by a master" - there; I titled it.

Sure, I'll start a thread on it when I get it together. While I'm flattered, master is a bit of an over statement. While I am sure that you and I are a lost bread doing this kind of work, I still consider myself only a few levels above a hack.

I added the stop screw to an unaltered follower for more OAL of cartridge. I fire blued it with a torch and motor oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I loaded these j words last fall and just tried them today. 4 clicks right on the old Weaver and good. Time to load more cast but this answers the question- do I clean the barrel between cast and jacketed?
    Nope.
    100 yards.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    I've re-barreled my Lee Enfield and my Swiss K31 using the Savage barrel nut method and both turned out surprisingly well for me. Both rifles feed and eject as they should.

The reason I decided to use the Barrel Nut method was because at the time I did the re-barreling jobs I had no hands on experience in re-barreling anything. The Savage Barrel Nut method made it easy for me to adjust the head-spacing involved in the re-barreling of the cartridges I was working with. On the Enfield I went from the rimmed factory 303 case to a rimmed 30-303; basically the same cartridge utilizing a 308 bore barrel. On the K31 I went from the factory 7.5x55 Swiss to the 6.5x55 Swede.

In both cases, the Savage barrel nut method helped simplify things for this novice do-it-yourselfer.

HollowPoint
    Did you do the work yourself or do you have a local gunsmith you can recommend? I'm considering rebarrelling one of my Enfield #4s to either a copy of the Aussie's 22-303 or a 6.5-303 (The 6.5 Dutch Mannlicher is basically a 6.5-303)
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I have a friend that does wonders with refinishing stocks. I've talked him into slimming this one down like I've always wanted to. He redid a Remington 81 for me and it was stunning; I can't wait for this one.

It's back! I missed it a lot but the stock is slimmer and lighter and he had put a 70's K6W that he " had no use for"- duh, Thanks! Since it's already mounted, I'll test it out......
    Before and after pics:
    Last edited by Texas by God; 03-01-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Since I was prepared for long range with 125 gr Nosler ballistic tips; this doe came within 80 yards of me. I had been carrying the 44WCF with cast and the permitted does stayed a couple of hundred yards away so I switched to the ultra modern "7.62x52R" for the distant work.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned
    how did you rig up the extraction and ejection system?

The bolt face had a small peninsula area that I faced off to accommodate the 30-30 rim. I hand fitted the extractor by relieving the backside of the claw only. It works as CRF like a Mauser should. The ejector works great unaltered.

Banned
    I tried explaining that idea to a bunch of gunsmiths a few years ago when i tried to have a custom built 30-30 bolt built. Everyone of them told me it couldnt be done.

Wouldnt happen to have a heavier barreled rifle laying about ?

Apparently my rifle is akin to the bumblebee.
    I've been told it won't work either, but it does.
    I wouldn't hunt dangerous game with it; but it does feed quite well. If I did another one, it might or might not work- there's no way to predict outcomes.
    All I know is that I finally have a bolt action 30-30- something I've always wanted.

Boolit Master
    Texas by God: Your small ring 30-30 build has inspired me. I picked up a 98 Turkish action last year and have started work making it into a bolt action 30-30. Right now I'm almost done on the bolt and have got to the point of fitting the extractor. I'm installing a set of angled spacers in the mag well so that the rimmed cartridges will stack properly. I haven't turned the barrel blank yet, but the action seems like it's going to feed OK. As with a lot of oddball gunsmithing conversions, sometimes its two steps forward and one step back. Once I have enough to show I'll start a thread. Thanks for the ideas and showing that the impossible is only a barrier for those that don't try.

Thanks, 405grain. I’m anxious to see it!

This is a nice build for sure, and a fine round in 30 WCF.
    From what you went through doing all this, would a 30/40 Krag be possible? Be about .020 more opening the bolt face.
    Length would be about the same as the 7 Mauser. But maybe the rim going that much more would be too much to feed right. Though if I could get three rounds like yours, that would be fine with me.
    If it would work, I would suppose 303 Brit would work too.
    It maybe a fart in the wind, or too much to make work right, but I like the idea on a Mauser. Plus I have a couple of them.

Boolit Master
    Two things: in an earlier post Texas by God pointed out that a Siamese Mauser trigger guard has the same action bolt spacing as a small ring Mauser. It would take some fitting and gunsmithing, but if you wanted to build a small ring Mauser in 30-40 Krag this might be a good alteration for getting a slanted magazine well. Second thing, I've built a 93 Mauser in 223 by cutting off the Mauser bolt head and installing a Savage 110 bolt head on that bolt body. A magnum Savage 110 bolt head would be the correct diameter for a 30-40 rim. During the US trials that lead to the adoption of the Krag rifle Mauser had an entry. That rifle (a small ring Mauser) almost became our service rifle, only being won out because it's extractor broke during the trials. The "trials rifle" actually was a small ring Mauser in 30-40, so as far as building something similar - it's do-able.

Gotcha. Well, maybe I may have to look into it, thanks!
    That's a neat idea with the bolt head.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234