RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barrel nut on SR Mauser

Today is chambering day.

Banned

Did you have a nut made? Or did you make it? I am sure you trued up the front of the receiver so nut will seat square?

I went conventional. And yes I did square the action face. I test fired a round this morning and all seems well. I did have to open the bolt face a bit. Now comes extractor mods and inletting the stock for the new barrel. I welcome tips and suggestions. Best, Thomas.

It's feeding but needs more smoothing out. Now I'm fitting the barrel channel. Having to remove Acraglas sucks. But I'll put some back in. Best, Thomas.

A blind hog found an acorn. I put the stock on with only action bedding to try it out today. The only scope I had to use is an old Chinese NC Star 3x9 that I knew to work. For ammo I had Rem 150gr CorLokt and reloads with 170gr Silvertips. I was encouraged by the 40 yd groups and the first group @100yds with the Silvertips was 3 touching shots. Feeding is great with the Rem ammo with it's pointier bullet. The flat point ST had a hiccup or two- I need more feed ramp work.
    To sum up the action mods: install stop screw on magazine follower to limit rearward travel of the case rim. Enlarge bolt face to allow for the larger diameter rim. Remove sharp bottom corner and bevel edge of extractor; file away slightly the back side of the extractor claw. Grind & polish the feed ramp. It works best if you only load three rounds in the mag. Now it's time to glass bed the chamber area, polish & blue or brown the metal, touch up the stock, and locate the correct scope for it. I'm thinking vintage Weaver k4 or K6. If I ever figure out how to post pics I will! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting! I checked my M 93 and was surprised to find it would feed .30-30 rounds from the magazine. I'm on the lookout for a .30 cal barrel to fit to the action and chamber in .30-30. Looks like the grinding on the extractor will be the most critical work; I think I've got an extra somewhere if I mess the first one up.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

I feel the stop screw is critical on mine because the rim on the first round would fall off the back end of the follower without it. Please PM if you have questions along the way.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I think I want my mauser back!!!!

Good read and hope it shoots good for you.

I'd love to have a 30-30 rolling block. 30-30 is a perfect deer gun. Perfect cartridge except for maybe the weak brass.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

I love my 94 Win 30-30 but it's a 4moa gun. This bolt action is going to be great. I can work on "accuracy loads"!
    And sorry Rick-it's staying on this side of the river. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I came upon this thread while looking around the forum. If you guys are rebarreling these sr mausers, here is a source for barrels for a good price! IT&D Custom guns in Minerva,
    Ohio has takeoff barrels for sale! Example, I bought a new unfired Remington 700 Sendero barrel in .308 Win. for $98 delivered! There are other brands available. You can buy factory contour (non varmint style )barrels for Rem.for $45? IIRC . With the open sights on most of them! (Sights are worth that)Call them, ask what they have, I believe they will fix you guys up! Just my .02 ,good luck!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I love my 94 Win 30-30 but it's a 4moa gun. This bolt action is going to be great. I can work on "accuracy loads"!
    And sorry Rick-it's staying on this side of the river. Best, Thomas.
    TbG, I hope the win 94 shootin so bad is with poor iron sights...I don't know what mine will do at 100 yards with the open sights(poor eyes), but at 50 they're pretty well touching

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    TbG, I hope the win 94 shootin so bad is with poor iron sights...I don't know what mine will do at 100 yards with the open sights(poor eyes), but at 50 they're pretty well touching
    Rick-same with mine at 50. I have a Williams peep rear sight and I have done better than 4" @ 100 a few times but due to eyes I only hunt the brush for deer with it. With cast, it remains my #1 gun for calling turkeys. My Dad gave it to me a few years back- it's a 1954 model 94 Win. He bought it on layaway at Leonard's in the late 50's when he worked at General Dynamics.
    Best,Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Good............and bad. I was hoping it wasn't the rifle. bad part, it's the old eyes. I limit my open sights to about 75 for that reason.

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    I came upon this thread while looking around the forum. If you guys are rebarreling these sr mausers, here is a source for barrels for a good price! IT&D Custom guns in Minerva,
    Ohio has takeoff barrels for sale! Example, I bought a new unfired Remington 700 Sendero barrel in .308 Win. for $98 delivered! There are other brands available. You can buy factory contour (non varmint style )barrels for Rem.for $45? IIRC . With the open sights on most of them! (Sights are worth that)Call them, ask what they have, I believe they will fix you guys up! Just my .02 ,good luck!
    Budzilla- great point. Hard to beat a Remington barrel. At that price you've saved enough to pay for the re- threading. I would caution against .243/.308 in a SPANISH Mauser; BUT- a friend had a 91 Mauser with a Sako varmint barrel and a single shot conversion that he got in a trade. We tried to wear it out- we couldn't. It was a 22-250- no slouch in the pressure department!
    Best, Thomas.

Finished bedding am touching up truoil on stock. I'm polishing the metal- leaning to Plum Brown. Polished the feed ramp. AND scored a Weaver K4-F with post reticle. All Right!

The stock and magazine are finished. In the middle of browning the barreled receiver. Don't you love the smell of sizzling acid?
    Best, Thomas.

All done. I have pics that I can send if PM'd. Maybe someone can post them-I sure can't do it! It's far from perfect but looks okay I think. Time to start finding the CB load.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Which boolit do intend to use?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    Which boolit do intend to use?
    311291 NOE 169gr that .455webley provided. He sent plain base and gas check versions. Unique and 3031 will get the nod for powder. Pet loads appreciated if any of you have them for this boolit.

Posted for Texas by God: His /30-30 Mauser project

Last edited by pietro; 03-31-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast